adobe premiere

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

adobe premiere

Postby roachie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:38 am

Hey MacRae, since you seemed to know what you were talking about in the other forum, I have a couple of questions...

What are the best file types to work with in Premiere? I've been using avi's, and I know there are all kinds of file types within the avi world, a problem I run into all the time is that the audio, usually mp3, will not show up on the timeline. I end up having to convert the entire file to a different avi, reducing the overall quality.

I hope that ramble makes some sense.
roachie
Sean Roach

Re: adobe premiere

Postby macrae11 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:36 pm

roachie wrote:Hey MacRae, since you seemed to know what you were talking about in the other forum, I have a couple of questions...

Yes unfortunately that's all just an elaborate ruse though...
roachie wrote:What are the best file types to work with in Premiere? I've been using avi's, and I know there are all kinds of file types within the avi world, a problem I run into all the time is that the audio, usually mp3, will not show up on the timeline. I end up having to convert the entire file to a different avi, reducing the overall quality.

I hope that ramble makes some sense.

It's been a couple of years since I've used Premiere, and I wasn't that heavy into it, but I'll give you some thoughts. I'm mostly FCP and Avid.

From looking around here, the only SD format that Premiere supports natively is DV/DVCAM, so I would make the assumption that those would be the most efficient formats.
Now video formats are much more confusing than audio formats. There's not just .wav .aif, or .mp3.

First there's your format, quicktime, .avi, .mpeg etc. And then there's also your codec. When I refer to DV/DVCAM I'm actually referring to the codec. The guy in this video is using quicktimes, in DV format, so I would think that would be one of the best ways to go. He's also using multiple formats in the same sequence, which I try never to do, because in my mind, it just makes things more difficult.

How are you getting the video into Premiere? If you're capturing them yourself, I would say capture over firewire to quicktimes in the DV/DVCAM format. Premiere might just ask you for the codec, which would be DV/DVCAM-NTSC, and automatically capture to quicktime.

If you're importing from another source, I would use a separate program like MPEG Streamclip to convert your files before you import them.

Does that all make sense?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Beaver » Wed May 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Hey Roachie I know I am a little late on the reply here, but I have been using Premiere pretty steady here at work and have some great training vids on it and After Effects if you would like some copies let me know.
Beaver

Postby roachie » Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Fo SHo... I'm just teaching myself by blindly messing around with settings and doing the odd youtube tutorial, but if you've got something more formal, I'd love to check it out...
roachie
Sean Roach

Return to Sounds Good...