Most influential artists/bands/albums of your life.

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Most influential artists/bands/albums of your life.

Postby Burnsy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:37 pm

Just curious. Maybe its because of the Michael Jackson situation, who seems to have been an influence on many people's musical lives. I thought, hey, why not see what the most influential music, albums, or artists are in people's lives for whatever reasons. I have a couple.

Pink Floyd - The Wall
(these guys and this album truly broadened my horizons musically and perspectively, nothing to do with the drugs... yeah right)

Eric Clapton - Time Peices (The first time I heard Layla, I was hooked and amazed... what's a slide guitar?)

Buena Vista Social Club - same as name (Another culture, another feel, but absolute musicianship amongst old fellers, really old fellers. True respect)

Pearl Jam - Yield (Too much to be said listen to the album. Listen again, again, and again.)

Beatles White Album - This is where rock started for me, songwriting and lyrics started to make sense.

Nirvana - Nevermind. I learned guitar at the same time these guys hit mainstream. Their music taught me power chords. And I progressed with each of their albums. This was the first. They taught me how to play, in a sense.

Rock 85 - This is the first album I ever bought with my own money. I was six at the time. Quiet Riot's "Come on feel the noise," and Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule The World," changed my life forever.

Seymourmonkeystick 1 and 2 - for obvious reasons. First exposure to recording and live performance. History in the making.

Sean Roach - The real deal. He's living it. Living it and doing it. True to his art. My example and my buddy.

There's many more great albums and musicians for me. Most recently Johnny Cash has struck a note with me. Anyways, theres a list of some of it. Feel free to share. Rock!
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Here's a couple of the top of my head.

Jeff Buckley - Grace
When I heard this album, I knew I was meant to be a recording engineer. Grace changed my life. Andy Wallace is the man!

U2
No album in particular. Most of them have done something different for me. Great way to learn about layering and production. "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was probably the first one I really listened to though.

Johnny Cash - All his albums but American IV in particular. Hearing the soul in his voice so close to the end of his life opened my eyes to a lot of roots/country/bluegrass.

Eric Clapton - I got a 4 CD set of his greatest hits when I was around 17. Spent probably 6 months learning to play most of the tunes, and driving my parents nuts. Got a wah pedal for Christmas that year.

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced. Nuff said

More recently Hey Rosetta- "Into My Lungs", Kings of Leon - "Only By The Night" and Muse - "Absolution" have been heavy in my rotation. Not a huge influence per se, but just some great new sounds, that got me out of a rut musically.

If I really sat down and thought about it, I could come up with 2 dozen more. Actually just thought of another: Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue". Rudy Van Gelder is also the man!
Last edited by macrae11 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:03 am

Wow! This is a deep topic. It can seem daunting when you think of all the music you love. Then, when you think of stuff that really influenced your life musically, it gets a little easier.

I could go on and on, like I'm sure most of you could.

Rush - "2112" Specifically side one. I remember hunting through my brother's vinyl when I was seven looking for this album to listen to it. Then after that, pretty much any Rush records of the 80s.

Saga - "Worlds Apart" I absolutely loved this record when it first came out. Made me a huge fan of that band, and a big fan of Rupert Hine and Stephen W. Tayler.

Pink Floyd - "The Wall" and"Animals"... Songs, and amazing sounds. Made me want to know how they made records like that.

Toto IV - I pretty much wore my original copy of this out. Biggest album that year. I actually remember watching this the night it happened.

Hall & Oates - "Private Eyes" and "H2O" especially, but pretty much anything before or after it. Solidified my love of "Blue Eyed Soul".

Phil Collins - "Face Value" "Hello I Must Be Going" and "No Jacket Required". He was the man before he started doing movie soundtracks.

Honestly, that just the start of the list for me....

Great topic!
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:00 pm

Nobody else has any thoughts about this? I thought it was a great topic.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:20 pm

I'll add mine tomorrow... Sorry I forgot about it.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:22 pm

These are my 4 most influencial albums. Not my favorite albums. Just the ones that were real pivotal points for me, musically.

Dream Theater - Images & Words
This album told me that I was gonna be a drummer. It started my prog rock phase. Dream Theater of late has become mostly lame, but back in the mid 90s they were very much on top of their game.

Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
Landmark album for me. Cover to cover one of my favorite pieces of work ever. It was my introduction to Vinnie Colaiuta. This album became the end of my fascination with Dream Theater, and other prog rock bands.

Jeff Buckley - Grace
This album got me further away from the techncial side of music and made me really pay attention to a stellar vocal talent and creative mind. "Lover, You Should've Come Over" remains one of my favorite songs of all time. There are some real gems in there though, all over the place. The whole album is just stunning performance after stunning performance.

Peter Gabriel - So
This album started my very deep love affair with Peter Gabriel. So much good music on this. This album was my gateway drug into Peter's "Secret World". I listent to more Peter Gabriel to this day than any other artist, ever. Period. This album changed me tremendously.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Peter Gabriel - So
This was a big one for me as well. PG3, "Security", and "So" were all records that I absorbed.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Greg H. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:25 am

In the vast barren musical landscape that we are given to exist on today there is a small, green, fertile oasis that we can take a cool refreshment of intelligent artistry that somehow still exists. There we can reflect, meditate, and reenergize before we are subjected to that barren landscape again. That fertile place is called Peter Gabriel.

According to some guy on youtube
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:43 am

Greg H. wrote:In the vast barren musical landscape that we are given to exist on today there is a small, green, fertile oasis that we can take a cool refreshment of intelligent artistry that somehow still exists. There we can reflect, meditate, and reenergize before we are subjected to that barren landscape again. That fertile place is called Peter Gabriel.

According to some guy on youtube

Indeed.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby roachie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Greg H. wrote:According to some guy on youtube

Some guy on youtube likes his herb.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 am

BTW Greg... The quote in your signature made me laugh about loud.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Greg H. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:BTW Greg... The quote in your signature made me laugh about loud.

Yeah, i'm not allowed opinions :(
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:01 pm

BTW... Great job last night guys. Just so you knwo though, when the lights flicker, the house music turns on and I give you the hand across the thoat "kill" sign. It may mean stop.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:BTW... Great job last night guys. Just so you knwo though, when the lights flicker, the house music turns on and I give you the hand across the thoat "kill" sign. It may mean stop.

I really didn't notice! Very sorry!!
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:12 pm

Nick H. wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:BTW... Great job last night guys. Just so you knwo though, when the lights flicker, the house music turns on and I give you the hand across the thoat "kill" sign. It may mean stop.

I really didn't notice! Very sorry!!

It's okay, you know the band.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby roachie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:34 pm

I would've given you guys 18 more songs if I didn't have 6 more acts to go up before the bar closed, so don't take it like I'm banging a gong... Open mic's are a pain in the ass to manage. You guys killed'er last night though... "In Bloom"!!! Damn...
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby roachie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:18 pm

To answer Burnsy's question though...

Everly Brothers (when Mom was driving) -> Simon and Garfunkel (when dad was driving) -> MJ Thriller (mom actually let me walk around in public with a fisher price tape player rocking that jam) -> Twisted Sister (I had older cousins) -> Whatever was popular at the time (I was still wee) ->

Then when I was about 14 the pig spore hit the wind spinner...

Jimi Hendrix, Zeppelin, Joplin, Clapton, Cat Stevens, Doors, G'N'R, Metallica, Sabbath... (I had just started playing guitar, with Burnsy, and guitar rock was the only point. (except stuff like Lionna Boyyd and Chet Adkins)

Shortly after, the grunge scene/high school hit and I got myself a plaid shirt and some combat boots (notice I skipped the 80's, wasn't my era)

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, SeymourMonkeyStick, Sublime, Tori Amos... although, not to forget Slayer, Selputura, Pantera, Anthrax, Megadeth.

Then out of high school in the "real world" I discovered The Beatles (late, I know) and KABLAMISH... bought every tape I could find (cd's were around but I had a tapedeck in the car and mp3's didn't exist yet)

I found myself bouncing from Metal to Pop to Classical (guitar) to Folk to Comedy albums to basically whatever had a melody/beat that made me feel generally good.

Then Jazz came in... and went right out from which it came (appreciate it but don't like it... I get what they're getting at, but a musical conversation on stage still has to sound good to the audience... only the passionate players can pull that off, and I still only give them 5 minutes)

Now, I just go back and listen to all of those bands that I've mentioned and find things I missed the first time, and keep me ear keen to whatever comes next, even if it was recorded 30 years ago... lots of music recorded in the last 100 years and I haven't heard it all yet...
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby sammyp » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:31 pm

I'll only list the albums that rocked me then and still do now otherwise this would just get plain embarassing LOL.

Van Halen - 1984

Dunan Duran - Seven & the Ragged Tiger, Notorious

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

Brad Paisley - Mud on the Tires

Sevendust - Seasons

Alter Bridge - One Day Remains

Corey Hart - Boy in the Box

Sons of the Desert - Change

Rammstein - Reise Reise

Richie Kotzen - Slow

I Mother Earth - Scenery

Nik Kershaw - entire catalogue

Joe Satch - The Extremist

Nuno Bettencourt's catalogue - Solo, Extreme, Mourning Widows, Dramagods

Def Lep - Hysteria

there's lot's more .....
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 am

Most influential album: If I have to be totally honest, I think Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell II." Everything about it is just so large and theatrical. I never even realized the influence it had on me until I went back to it a few years ago, after, like, 10 years of not having heard it; it was like hearing the missing link of my musical aesthetic. "Everything Louder than Everything Else" still gives me shivers through most of the song :)

Most influential band: The Cure. My sense of melody, layering, 'alternative,' etc. all comes from them. Hell, even their song "Doing the Unstuck" inspired me to move to Calgary in 2000 to try and make it in a rock band. Got engaged at one of their concerts in 2004.

Other influential bands/artists:

Arrested Development. Never cared for rap much until I saw them on SNL, and then almost simultaneously on Much Music. All dressed as colourful farmers, rapping about identity and self-worth, instead of how big their guns were and how much pot came out of them (that being said, the first two Cypress Hill albums are still some of my favourite things to listen to!). Any sense of 'funk' I have, comes from them. So maybe that's not saying too much of them :) Their first album was the first cd I ever bought (went to the store to buy BNL's "Gordon," and bought this instead...Gordon's still one of my favourite albums, though!).

Aphex Twin: experimental electronica that breaks the fourth wall. Sometimes catchy, sometimes caustic, sometimes tender and lyrical, sometimes obscene (this is all without lyrics, btw). I aspire to somehow be as unrepetitive and creative as this guy (that day will never come, but it's still good try for your goals anyway!). Up until I first saw the video for "Windowlicker," I had never seen or heard of anything like it before. It was a turning point for me, like a door opening.

Eric's Trip: they make lo-fi look easy and repeatable. Here's the thing, though - you gotta be as good as Eric's Trip to be able to properly pull it off. I sure ain't. But still: their whole d.i.y. aesthetic, as well as their riffs, and the fact that they're local, all contribute to how they inspire me.

Dinosaur Jr: I don't like 'cock rock'-style guitar solos. J. Mascis makes it a point to solo for at least 2 minutes during every song. And I can't get enough of it. His solos just sound more melodic and interesting to me.

Deadsy: their first album (concept album, pretty much) is a cryptic dirge of dark, arcane synth-rock.

Girls Are Short: also synth-rock, but the light, summery side. They have one or two tunes that signify, to me, the height of what a rock song can achieve.

So...yeah!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby kevin shephard » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Hmmmm......pretty much in chronological order as I was growing up (growing up? Right.) and first heard them.

Bee Gees, ABBA (loved the disco when I was a kid, and still holds a place in my heart), KISS

Duran Duran - Rio, Seven and the Ragged Tiger (good call Sammy)

The Beatles - Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper

Platinum Blonde - Platinum Blonde, Alien Shores

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, Momentary Lapse of Reason, Division Bell (You get the point...)

Metallica - Master of Puppets, And Justice For All

Toto - Toto, Toto IV, Isolation, Fahrenheit, Seventh One

Def Leppard - Pyromania, Hysteria (wore this out drumming along to it on my first kit. Ironically, I guess it's a drum machine)

Pearl Jam - Ten, Vs

David Gilmour - David Gilmour, About Face

U2 - Joshua Tree (wore this one out too)

Steely Dan - Katy Lied, Royal Scam

The Grapes of Wrath - Treehouse, Now and Again, I Am Here (couldn't get enough of these guys. The one band I've seen the most live. And had the most beers with)

Northern Pikes - Secrets of the Alibi, Snow In June

Lost and Profound - Lost and Profound, Memory Thief

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

The Police - Synchronicity

Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales (I hear ya there Matt - Vinnie...da man), Mercury Falling (Malcolm and I saw him on this tour in Montreal....again, Vinnie....da man)

Radiohead - The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows

Coldplay - Parachutes, Rush of Blood to the Head, X&Y

And more recently.....

Eisley - Room Noises (the song-writing and vocals of this (very young) group completely blew me away when I first heard them about 4 years ago)

Elbow - Cast of Thousands (simply incredible band)

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans, Narrow Stairs

Grizzly Bear - Veckatamist (opened for Radiohead last summer.....incredible and different)

And most recently....

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, The Incident (incredible songwriting, sound and musicianship) For a few years (probably since first hearing Jeff Porcaro, Stewart Copeland and Vinnie Colaiuta) there was nobody that REALLY influenced me drumming-wise (besides all you guys around town, of course), until I heard Gavin Harrison. His creativity behind the kit is mind-blowing and has been incredibly inspiring to me).

Well....That was longer than I expected.
kevin shephard

Postby Greg H. » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:32 pm

I got into a few porcupine tree songs at some point in my life. I pointedly remember trying to figure out 3 different time signatures in one song
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby RoadDog » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:48 pm

Rolling back the old chronometer to May 1976, the track that literally changed my life and set me on the path to where I am and who I've become was, and I suppose still is, Detroit Rock City, the lead off track from Kiss' Destroyer LP. Yes, LP as digital was still a few years away. Produced by Bob Ezrin, with whom I've had the fortunate pleasure of actually sitting and having a drink and a smoke with, ok, several drinks and about half a pack of Marlboro Lights, was truly on the top of his game with that project, and IMO the band hasn't released anything even remotely resembling it, production wise, since.

Then came 2112 by Rush, just loaded with production WOW factor.

In high school '77 thru '80 I was exposed to all manner of things, including Disco. In addition to wearing out side one of Saturday Night Fever, I discovered Genesis w Peter Gabriel, Supertramp, The Doobie Bros., and wonder of wonders Yes. It was during my high school years that I began exploring the sound system thing with the resident 'rock band' and was turned onto among others Elton John, Billy Joel, The Eagles and dun dun da da a very talented bunch Toto !

During my post secondary years I reached the conclusion that although it is absolutely true that a great song, and we all seem to define both great and song subjectively, is paramount, It's how that great song sounds, that really gets me excited.

With that little nugget in mind, in no particular order ...

Toto IV onward.

Peter Gabriel So, Secret World Live

Duran Duran Seven and the Ragged Tiger

Yes 90125

Asia Asia

Genesis Duke

Gary Numan Replicas, Telekon, Dance and Jagged

Tears For Fears Songs From The Big Chair

Sarah Brightman Dive !

U2 The Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire

Saga In Transit

I could go on, but I'll leave it there.
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:18 pm

RoadDog wrote:Sarah Brightman Dive !

+1

...There is no shame in it either.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:17 pm

RoadDog wrote:

Yes 90125

Forgot about this one! Great album, still pop it on from time to time. First album that got me to think about different and changing time signatures.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Wow! My influences seem so different compared to what's been posted on here thus far.

I have heard of most of the bands you guys have been writing about, but I have never actually sat down and listened to even a tiny percentage of what's been posted on here.

I suppose my early influence was from my mother's old record collection. I was around twelve years old when I found her records, and since we didn't have a record player at the time all I could do was look at the artwork and imagine what the music must have sounded like. So I got a Summer job and saved enough money to buy a stereo with a record player. I still remember setting the stereo up and finally putting the needle down and hearing Led Zeppelin's untitled fourth album for the first time!

My mom also had some Jimi Hendrix, Sly and the Family Stone, Steppenwolf, Kris Kristofferson. So that was my first real introduction to music.

From there I began to search out the roots of these crazy sounds from those crazy '60s burn-outs and that led to my love of old blues recordings: Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Son House, Skip James, Elmore James, Bukka White, Leadbelly, etc. Basically the older and more obscure the more I liked it. I just love the sound of those crappy old blues recordings: foot-tapping, unintentional feedback, cracks, squeaks, off-tempo, yet soulful sounds.

Since then, of course, I have listened to such a variety of things, it is very difficult to say what has inspired me "the most."

But, for the sake of being a good sport, here are a few albums that have been important at some point in my life:

Nirvana "In Utero" --- because of the raw, live, fucking energy and anger in the sounds.

Califone "Roots And Crowns" --- bizarre soundscapes and cryptic lyrics.

Flecton Big Sky "Never Took A Wife" --- likewise, soundscapes and lyrics.

Frank Zappa "Hot Rats" --- the Gumbo Variations alone would make this album important to me.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Electric Ladyland" --- yeah.

Jimi Hendrix "Band Of Gypsys" --- bass and drums tight as fuck.

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" --- messed up recording technique for jazz plus amazing soundscape of improvised madness.

Steppenwolf "Monster" --- plenty of good old '60s anti-government / war protest songs.

The Monks "Black Monk Time" --- silly, simple, grunge-y, punk-y, music from Americans living in 1965 Germany.

Man, there are so many albums. I could go on and on. As I'm sure could all of you. . .
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Return to Music and Musicians