2009 SAINT JOHN MUSIC AWARDS

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Postby clinton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:16 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:This entire fucking thread sounds more like anything than making music.

Oh and it exists on both sides, but it's not everyone. It's 15% of each group (give or take.) 75% just don't know who the others are. The ramaining 10% actually belong in both circles and enjoys them both equally.

I suppose by defulalt I'm in a circle but it's only because my friends are the people I make music with. I honestly do not feel part of a "scene" and certainly not an exclusive one. I do what I do and if it people like it, great!
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:24 pm

clinton wrote:I do what I do and if it people like it, great!

That's the only reason I like music. When it becomes a sport, I don't like it anymore.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 pm

F O R E ! ! !
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby roachie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:40 pm

I play music because it feels good and I can pay my rent... when you are in a battle with other bands, you're already a loser.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:06 pm

roachie wrote:... when you are in a battle with other bands, you're already a loser.
So where does all this "Idol" crap fit in?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:12 pm

clinton wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:
I would suggest openly that those involved, in both gatherings that I'm aware of, meet to discuss their common ground, and where they differ in their outlook. I'm making suggestions to avoid the all too prevalent "we don't need those guys anyway" mentality that can be all too present.

1.That meeting sounds more like a mob family than making music. 2. I don't think that mentality exists...or if it does I don't see it.
I only wish that were true, but I hear it all too often from all camps.

Calling it a mob family meeting is a little on the negative side don't you think? I suggest that folks from different backgrounds get together to talk common goals and music and that's mafia?

I'm not a member of the ECMA, but I think it's a good thing. I'm not a member of CARAS, but I think it's a good thing. Why not something similar, but for our locale? Awwwww..... Who am I kidding? Everything is going fine without anyone having a co-operative mentality.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby roachie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
roachie wrote:... when you are in a battle with other bands, you're already a loser.

...you had me at "crap"...
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:02 pm

roachie wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:

...you had me at "crap"...

Indeed, I loathed every conceivable thing about "Idol" except for Bobbi Lee. But I liked her so much I'd do it again if she paid me truck loads of money. "Idol" is essentially "Flaming Bird 2.0" for me...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby roachie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:11 pm

This was my first experience with Idol this year, and I got their vibe... different from Imperial vibe, Harbour Station vibe, ECMA vibe, Festival BTS vibe, Dinner Theatre vibe... it's so different wherever you go... What a business...

Entertaining is hard.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby RoadDog » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:26 pm

If it was easy, everyone would do it.
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby roachie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 pm

RoadDog wrote:If it was easy, everyone would do it.

If she was easy, everyone would do her.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby clinton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
clinton wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:
I would suggest openly that those involved, in both gatherings that I'm aware of, meet to discuss their common ground, and where they differ in their outlook. I'm making suggestions to avoid the all too prevalent "we don't need those guys anyway" mentality that can be all too present.

1.That meeting sounds more like a mob family than making music. 2. I don't think that mentality exists...or if it does I don't see it.
I only wish that were true, but I hear it all too often from all camps.

Calling it a mob family meeting is a little on the negative side don't you think? I suggest that folks from different backgrounds get together to talk common goals and music and that's mafia?

I'm not a member of the ECMA, but I think it's a good thing. I'm not a member of CARAS, but I think it's a good thing. Why not something similar, but for our locale? Awwwww..... Who am I kidding? Everything is going fine without anyone having a co-operative mentality.

No man, I know what you're saying and I agree. I just know for me personally, I wouldn't want to partake in a meeting like that cause I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do anyway. I do however want to help grow my community and am trying to do that in my own ways. So I'm with ya...
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby roachie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:17 pm

I'm dying to add my 2 cents on this topic, but I really don't know much about either side(s)... Interested though... I want music to flourish in SJ as much as anyone... it's good for all of us if we get booming. Can anyone point form this discussion?

Explain like I'm a 6 year old kid eating ice cream...
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:24 pm

clinton wrote:No man, I know what you're saying and I agree. I just know for me personally, I wouldn't want to partake in a meeting like that cause I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do anyway. I do however want to help grow my community and am trying to do that in my own ways. So I'm with ya...

Sorry Clinton, I should know better than to log on as you and say things that I would normally say as me. Won't happen again. :-P

In other words...

+1

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:37 pm

You know what we really need - events that get the two 'sides' (let's call them 'indie' and 'coverband' for expediency's sake) interacting and mixing in fun ways. There's too much segregation right now. How do you get rid of ingrained segregation? Interaction, in my opinion.

Each year, the 'indie' side has a Halloween cover show. Why not something similar, where the 'coverband' side does all-originals, and the 'indie' side does all covers? Or have the event take place over a few nights: one night = all covers by both camps, the other night = all originals.

It could help show a lot of people in each camp (fans and musicians both) what the other side has to offer, and maybe foster some of the mutual respect that's perceived to be lacking.

Or, it could make things worse :twisted: But the fear of 'making things worse' is no reason not to at least try something, in my opinion, especially if the mutual respect already isn't there to begin with. What do you guys think?
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:19 pm

The most successful examples of interaction between unrelated musical genres/artists are unfortunately at "awards" events like the Juno and ECMA weeks.

I can think of few examples of an event that has the draw of these types of gatherings. Presenter contact events are one that comes to mind.

I think this type of "award" gathering has potential to help the local music community if it get's more "all inclusive", and expands to be more than a show at a bar and little else... this to the best of my knowledge.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby clinton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:The most successful examples of interaction between unrelated musical genres/artists are unfortunately at "awards" events like the Juno and ECMA weeks.

I don't think they have cover bands at those awards shows though. Do they?
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:01 pm

clinton wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:The most successful examples of interaction between unrelated musical genres/artists are unfortunately at "awards" events like the Juno and ECMA weeks.

LOLZ

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:45 pm

clinton wrote:

Nope. Only "original" artists.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Previous

Return to Music and Musicians