Canadian Radio Star

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Canadian Radio Star

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:24 am

http://www.radiostar.ca/rules.asp

For anyone who's interested - Dec.11, 2009 is the deadline. National songwriting competition, with regional winners as well (there's one station in Saint John participating).

Anyone here have any inside info, tips, grievances etc? :)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby clinton » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:28 am

Ugh...I went to the clinic for this and it just made me want to puke. "get to the chorus in 30 seconds or less" kinda dribble. Icky!
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:32 am

I know that aspiring writers are encouraged to submit their poems/stories to contests they know they won't win, just to get feedback. Does anyone think this would work the same way? Or, more likely, songs they don't like would just be ignored? (I know I could just email them for the answer, but for the sake of discussion I'll ask it here instead)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:52 am

clinton wrote:Ugh...I went to the clinic for this and it just made me want to puke. "get to the chorus in 30 seconds or less" kinda dribble. Icky!

Don't forget to modulate into a soft start double chorus/outro for the end. Works everytime... ;-)

I share your appreciation for well crafted music. But the science of pop is oddly appealing to me as well. I should seek help probably...
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:57 am

I'm not a big fan of contests of any kind. As I've stated before I don't think music is a sport and I don't like it when people treat it as such. I don't know much about this particular competition in general but it seems kind of arbitrary. Is there anywhere that states what the song will be critiqued on exactly?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:28 pm

It says nowhere what songs are critiqued on; I can only assume that the winners are whoever manages to sound the most like Kelly Clarkson :-?
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:I can only assume that the winners are whoever manages to sound the most like Kelly Clarkson :-?

I [heart] Kelly, she's hot and is a wicked singer, and her writers (for waht's it's worth) understand the science of pop very well. I'd totally marry/plow her.

Moving on... :oops:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Greg H. » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Drumwaiter wrote: I'd totally marry/plow her.

Seconded!
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Sorry I brought it up! :-P (j/k)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:21 pm

I'd also plow/marry the following female pop singers:

Mandy Moore, Hillary Duff, Michelle Branch and just about anyone that Matt Chamberlain has played drums for in the past 2 years (including but not limited to: Tori Amos, Missy Higgings and Brandi Carlile.)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:11 pm

clinton wrote:Ugh...I went to the clinic for this and it just made me want to puke. "get to the chorus in 30 seconds or less" kinda dribble. Icky!
Back in my attending Trebas days, I remember attending a super interesting seminar on pop music where they averaged the qualities of the "hits" of the rock 'n roll era and came up with a formula that was scary accurate with what was going on in "current" popular music.

The most interesting part was after demonstrating the "formula", they pointed out several amazingly successful contradictions to that average including Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean".

Just like gambling, you can bet with the odds, but anything can win. Interesting songs are interesting songs for a plethora of reasons.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Music and Musicians