What do ya think?

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

What do ya think?

Postby dylanger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Just did a quick demo on a tune I wrote a while ago. Just wondering what people think of it? It's my first home studio project so the vocals are rather bad, It was originally the dummy track but I just fixed a few bad parts and went with it.

www.myspace.com/dylanfarrellmusic

The song is called Tattoo. Feel free to comment.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:19 pm

I actually really liked the vocals; it was nice hearing some higher registers, and it was a pleasant little tune. This had a sweet little vibe that I enjoyed.

I just listened to it on my laptop's built-in speakers (no headphones), but the occasional guitar strum towards the beginning sounded too loud compared to all the other elements. The guitar solo could have used a mild effect to help make it stand out more from everything else (though like I say - I'm not using the best speakers to listen; maybe it's drenched with effects and I just can't tell! :) As for the notes you picked for the solo - right on! The drums fit everything real well, also.

If I weren't so depressed about missing the Kids in the Hall miniseries opener due to technical glitches, I'd listen and comment on Away to Here and probably like it, too. As it is, me and my weepy-weep cry-cry face are going to bed :P All the same: good job!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:24 am

I like your songwriting a lot. Who played on it?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:54 am

Credits are on the first comment on the page; I just popped by to say I caught my show again properly on the time shift. No more tears!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:01 am

Christian LeBlanc wrote:Credits are on the first comment on the page

Thanks. I missed that, I have very little experience with Myspace. I'll have a look later (I can't view Myspace from work.)
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:07 am

Yeah very nice tune. Vocals could come up all the way through particularly in the lower register parts. Acoustics are a tad too lad, but not terribly so.

The only semi major technical issue is that there is some phasing issues going on somewhere. I think it's either the electric guitar or the drums, but my money's on the drums. It could be being caused by the myspace compression, but I don't hear it on Away to Here, so that leads me to believe that it's the source. If you have a phase scope, slap it on various parts of the mix and see what it's telling you.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks a lot for the comments. Like I said this is my first project by myself, so all feedback is greatly appreciated. Matt, everything but the drums is me. The drums are by Dylan Piercey. He's only 14 years old but he's very musically inclined. I think we only had enough time for a few passes of this tune so the first one that was played without any mistakes we took. I didn't want to turn the vocals up much more because I was hitting the red a lot. i'll try and tweak to the best of my abilities.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:20 am

dylanger wrote:The drums are by Dylan Piercey. He's only 14 years old but he's very musically inclined.

I know him, I taught him for a while. Neat.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 pm

I like the feel of the song.

I agree with another comment about the solo. The song has a nice feel throughout, but I would have liked a little change, as in something to add some oomph (yeah, ooomph) to the solo.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm

dylanger wrote: I didn't want to turn the vocals up much more because I was hitting the red a lot. i'll try and tweak to the best of my abilities.

I'm curious about this. Were you clipping on the vocal track, or on the master fader?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:49 pm

On the vocal track, bass drum snare drum, bass guitar, acoustic sometimes, and the electric colour track sometimes. I was using a crappy apex vocal mic for the vocals, Cad bass drum and snare drum mic and apex over heads.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Instead of bringing the vocal up, you could always try bringing the other tracks down. Also in future try recording at much lower levels, which will make your gain staging much easier.

What program are you using at home?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:13 pm

macrae11 wrote:... Also in future try recording at much lower levels, which will make your gain staging much easier.

http://forums.middleaudio.com/viewtopic ... light=peak
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby dylanger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:15 pm

garage band, I want to get logic.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Now that I had a chance to give this a good listen, some observations.

All in all, the balances are pretty great knowing what you're working on. The vocals could come up a touch throughout, but I do hear some clipping in the vocal track at times so I know something is going on there.

Wanting the solo guitar to pop out is a good observation already made. That being said, I think this one already has that going for it in whatever you did with that track.

I don't hear the phasing issue that Andrew brought up, in fact the drums sound surprisingly in phase. The only thin I hear going on that could be heard as phasing between L&R is an autopanner on one of the guitar tracks. Otherwise, most everything else is pretty "mono". If you meant something canceling out because of a phase issue, I dunno.

For a first kick with some new gear, nice job.

Now that "Away to Hear" track... That's a real mess.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:14 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Now that "Away to Hear" track... That's a real mess.

Yeah wasn't that recorded by a circus midget?

EDIT: I've been informed that it may have been recorded by Malcolm and that any resemblance to a real-life circus midget, either living or dead, is completely circumstancial.

I liked the first track a lot, but honestly I agree with Malcolm, all things considered this new one is really pretty good.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby dylanger » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I've been working on a new tune all day and I can't wait to show you folks. I just need the violin player to come over and record her parts. I took the advice that was given to me on this forum and applied it to this new tune. There's a few more tracks on it and it was my first experience with a midi controller. Garage and has maybe 150 sounds on, it and now I can't wait to get logic. I just put organ on it and used my dads old roland XR-8P keyboard, he bought a new one so now I have another piece of gear in my very small room........
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Who's the violin player? Is it the same one that Nick uses? What was her name... Laura I think?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby dylanger » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Randi Green, shes my age, She's very talented.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Not the same girl I'm thinking of. Seems to be a bunch of girls your age that play violin. I try to avoid girls in my bands, mostly because I'm sexist though. It's not because I tend to sleep with them.

Am I joking? Who even knows anymore.... :-P

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby dylanger » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Ya, this is my first experience working with girls in a band situation. The bad side is that they get what they want, the plus side is that you can consult them about what to wear when you go on stage. lol
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby jammy jamz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

hahah thats funny, because its true.

im playing in a band with a coupla females, (thankfully they're both married), and that was an issue

what we will be wearing. :lol:

tattoo, i love that song. right up my alley. the two step bass line, big thumbs up.

and the other one is awesome too. . again with the bass line. thats super classy.

:-)
jammy jamz
Bronze Member

Postby dylanger » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:41 am

ya that bass line makes chuck somewhat godly
dylanger
Silver Member

Return to Music and Musicians