Stand out musical experiences

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:20 pm

I had a similar incident happen where our singer spit on an audience member at a high school school show. Like a huge wad of gooey spit. She got it square in the face. I bet people still bring that up to him too... lol

Great story, Dave.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Cubical » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:31 pm

I had a similar incident happen where our singer spit on an audience member at a high school school show. Like a huge wad of gooey spit. She got it square in the face. I bet people still bring that up to him too... lol

Hey matt, was that a Saint John highschool show!? What band was it? I seem to have that vivid memory of a tall guy on stage, maybe 1999-2000ish hork a huge luger on someone in the front row. I think I also remember seeing her crying outside in the hall afterwards (**Heart breaks in half**)
"he has more skids in his underwear than you'll find on an Indy 500 raceway folks.."
Cubical
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Cubical wrote:Hey matt, was that a Saint John highschool show!? What band was it? I seem to have that vivid memory of a tall guy on stage, maybe 1999-2000ish hork a huge luger on someone in the front row. I think I also remember seeing her crying outside in the hall afterwards (**Heart breaks in half**)

That was the show..... the year was 1999. I still remember watching as it flew almost suspended in air before it reached its destination. I didn't know whether to shit or go blind, I was in shock. It was during a particular part of the song Levitate if it gives you any indication.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Greg H. » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 am

I remember a certain talent show where we fired our old bassist two days before, and he still expected to play the show. He wasn't happy over that, but I don't understand how he expected to play the song, as he practiced it with the band ONCE.

That's when I started actually playing bass in the band. Actually, I can get the video clip from the show haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKI8eZpY ... re=channel
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 am

Nick's playing keyboards in this one. Haha... Awesome!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Cubical » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:09 am

It was during a particular part of the song Levitate if it gives you any indication.

Yup!!! "FFFEEEEELLLLL HHHEEEAAAVVEENN!!!- Luger explodes from his mouth! Gues he thought thatwas what Edwin would do.

One more quick one....

Jon Goud once travelled from Halifax for this "show" we were to perform at the Market Square Library for a poet whom was apparently well known. It was the first time that I ever met Tony Noddin as well. The poet's name was George Elliot Clarke, and he read poems from his latest works that somehow revolved around former prime minister Trudeau, mixing with his opions of what he would do with women "in the sack". I made the mistake of having a couple of "holy" smokes before the show, making everything more intense. We were told to play "whatever" and George would try to find the "groove" to illustrate his poetry. Now I also have this one in several videos, see if you can open them, if not look on my facebook page under "view videos of Dave" and watch it there (it is well worth the couple of minutes)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=535600404#/video/video.php?v=509252378205&subj=535600404 :lol:

and...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=535600404#/video/video.php?v=509243800395&subj=535600404 :lol:

as you will notice, my microphone is covering up my smile good as this guy is belting about "good women's pollen" and how he "get's some everytime". Tony, Jon nor myself could afford to look at each other because we just started to laugh. And of course, all eyes on us! It was one of the longest gigs that stands out in my mind cause I wanted to dissapear or run to the bathrom and laugh for a good half hour. But we made it through as awkwardly as it was, did not get paid for some reason, and have the videos to treasure always....
"he has more skids in his underwear than you'll find on an Indy 500 raceway folks.."
Cubical
Bronze Member

Postby Cubical » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:13 am

Now I also have this one in several videos, see if you can open them, if not look on my facebook page under "view videos of Dave" and watch it there (it is well worth the couple of minutes)

I just tried the links and they failed. Just look for David Mazerolle on facebook (if you aren't already my "friend") or add me and check it out. what else do you REALLY have to do right now?
Cubical
Bronze Member

Postby giggleycraft » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:23 am

Links worked for me. Maybe you just have to be logged into facebook at the time you click.
giggleycraft

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:15 am

GEC is as good as it gets for Canadian poetry, so I can't wait to see these (I'm also into anything that pokes fun at my idols). :)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:44 am

Cubical wrote:
It was during a particular part of the song Levitate if it gives you any indication.

Yup!!! "FFFEEEEELLLLL HHHEEEAAAVVEENN!!!- Luger explodes from his mouth! Gues he thought thatwas what Edwin would do.

Here are the lyrics. They may shed further insight on when this happened and why he felt this was a good idea.

I Mother Earth wrote:Feel Heavy
Once Felt it... Hard
Question an answer
For a thousand days
Give birth to the Earth
Then let it drift away
Open and flow
Just swinging forever
Making love to the ground
Because it just feels better
It ain't easy
Drink it in
Think a while... Spit
There's both shining and darkness
Yet they share a day
Was there a man on a cross
Or was it just a fake
Even in shame
You can't hide your growth
Though the butterfly flies
He's sinking like a stone
The killing sun
It hurts my eyes
And comes hard
Onto my skin
And as I find shade
From tree to tree
I live to learn
To dig down deep
I feel the pain
And love the hurt
I don't complain
Trancing in the grass
Suck it off the world
When you're full of it
Shrug, feel fortunate
Then go where levitation lives
Where aggravation grows
Where sleeping's too hard
On the thinking bone
Intensity is what I need
To suffer for the pleasure
Its heat, hard, life and death
Living all together
In a small room
Full of me and my friends
Trying to find the means
To justify the end

I really wished we never learned that song. The principle was some pissed off at us. Which sucks because it's not like it was planned or anything. I was just as surprised as anyone.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:41 pm

Here's a fun little story from my musical past:

When I was living in St. John's, Newfoundland, there used to be a free summer festival called Peace-A-Chord, and one summer myself and some friends decided to put together a Dr. Seuss band to perform on one of the side stages for the young children that were expected to show up.

One friend, who had some experience in acting but not music, was the "vocalist" and did the reading of the Dr. Seuss books---Green Eggs And Ham and The Cat In The Hat, if I remember correctly. He was quite an eccentric character, so we figured he would be highly entertaining to little children. One friend played acoustic guitar, another friend on hand-drums, and I was in charge of making weird noises and sound effects on a keyboard. We dressed up in ridiculous outfits in an attempt to convey the visual aspect of Dr. Seuss books. We didn't rehearse at all. Since we were going to be performing for little children we figured we would just have some fun and improvise behind the Dr. Seuss readings.

So we showed up at the festival and looked around and there were no children anywhere! The crowd in the park was mostly what can best be described stereotypically as teenage punks/anarchists: leather vests, spikes, mohawks, etc.

We figured this was going to really suck, 'cause we looked like a bunch of freaks compared to the audience and we assumed they would definitely not be interested in listening to a bunch of old guys in fruity costumes playing fucked up jazz to children's stories. Nonetheless, we began our set and before we knew it, we had a large crowd of punks sitting down cross-legged on the grass in front of the "kid's stage" listening to us and giving us their complete attention.

Moral of the story/lesson learned: I don't know, but something about how Dr. Seuss appeals to a wide audience. It was fun!
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby jammy jamz » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:49 pm

great story about the seuss.

its been my impression, through the social experiments that i do to entertain myself, that modern day punk rockers, are the equivalent to the 60's hippys.

just an observation. but....

in that sense, it makes total sense that they would sit, and enjoy the art that you guys were doing.
jammy jamz
Bronze Member

Postby giggleycraft » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 am

I actually had a great one this weekend. I was invited out to a jam party, and had a sitter, so we went. There were a lot of really talented players there. Mostly grooving on some blues inspired rock. It's a style I love to listen to, but have never really played. I jumped in and was having a blast with some call and answer type leads.
giggleycraft

Postby jammy jamz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 pm

i think i know where you were playing on saturday night, and, holy room full of talent in that house.

incredible really, when you start going through the names..

great feeling room too. i guess jim's going through the paces to set up a live web-cast too. so he can serve up the room to people that cannot make it over.

super schweet.
jammy jamz
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:43 pm

You guys talking about Jaco's Bar & Grill? I've yet to go out to one of those...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby giggleycraft » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:55 pm

It was indeed Jaco's. First time I went, and it was a lot of fun.
giggleycraft

Postby jammy jamz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:04 pm

you should go check it out matt. its really a nice feeling room, with great people.

my first time was on friday, with wet grow light, and zingaro quartet.

HOLY FUN. the people there that were watching, are/were awesome, and really liked to be entertained.

i had a whack of fun.... just super fun....
jammy jamz
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Music and Musicians