new Jimi Hendrix album?

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

new Jimi Hendrix album?

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:02 pm

I heard on CBC Radio's Definitely Not The Opera that a brand spanking new Jimi Hendrix album will be released soon.

Apparently the album, entitled The Valleys Of Neptune, will be coming out in March, and is filled with previously unreleased studio recordings.

This certainly isn't the first time previously unreleased material has been released after an artist's death, however, for me, in some ways, it is kinda neat to hear the songs in their incomplete state. On the other hand, another part of me wonders whether we really need this stuff. I guess it depends on how one approaches the material. What do you guys think about the way the industry releases unfinished material?
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:23 pm

My thought always is, if the artist was alive, but wasn't able to create new music, would they want it released? I realize that's an impossible question to answer, but I wonder how much they would care about their great grand nephew's making a bunch of cash off them after they're dead. In this case I imagine it's probably still Jimi's daughter, so that's a little different.

I guess if it can live up to at least a resemblance of the standard that the artist set while they were alive, I'm more or less ok with it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:21 pm

From the stories I have read and heard about Jimi, my opinion of him is that he was quite a visionary and perfectionist in the sense that he knew exactly what he wanted to hear on his recordings, especially near the end of his life when he actually had the time to work and experiment in the studio.

This leads me to conclude that these recordings that will be released next month were not in a finished state when Jimi died.

That being said, I still feel that a listener can approach the music with this in mind and not judge the songs as completed works of art. The songs can be appreciated as works in progress and it can be fun to imagine what else Jimi may have planned for them.

As for the money aspect of it, I feel that is part of the whole capitalist agenda: someone makes a profit off the work of another. Marx pointed that out a long time ago.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against capitalism in the music industry. I can't really complain, I make my living through the music industry. I think you're right about being able to enjoy the process of creation without judging it as completed, but I wonder what percentage of listeners would put that much thought into it? How many would think wow Jimi sure was losing it.

Then again, I guess if there's money to be made who can blame them for trying?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:08 pm

macrae11 wrote:How many would think wow Jimi sure was losing it.

Yeah, that's what makes me kinda upset about releases like this.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Just be glad they're not teaming him up with Tupac or something. :-P

If they call it "Jimi's unfinished songs," or do something to show that it's unpublished rough stuff, I feel it would be ok; literature's been doing this forever, right?

That's just me, though. I can respect the desire for privacy, even if someone isn't around anymore.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 pm

Don't get me wrong, personally I love listening to unfinished work by deceased artists, but I feel like I approach the music with the right frame of mind and appreciation whereas some people might not.

And as for literature by dead artists, two of my favourite "novels" (The Trial and The Castle by Franz Kafka) were left unfinished at the time of the author's death with instructions for them to be burned. Thankfully, people saved the work and it was posthumously released.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:21 pm

For anyone interested, the album comes out in one week:
http://www.jimihendrix.com/
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Return to Music and Musicians