52 Weeks - One Night Only!

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

52 Weeks - One Night Only!

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 am

Hey, everybody! My first (and probably last) show doing songs from my 52 Weeks project is less than a week away - It takes place Saturday, February 20th, with the music starting at 10pm.

Other musical guests include Cryptowen, Dok Rogers, Troy Chenier, Dan Chamberlain, and The Trick. There will be video screen projections as well.

It's at the Sunstar Lounge (87 Germain Street), and you can either bring $5 to get in, or, a donation of pet food for us to pass along to the Saint John Animal Rescue League.

I will be selling my cd, which has all 52 songs I wrote during 2009. A fair number of you from here are thanked in the liner notes (which reminds me: Greg H, please PM me your last name so I can type your name out properly). The cd only costs $5.20, and all of that $ will also get passed on to the Saint John Animal Rescue League. You make a donation, you get a cd. Everybody wins (except the terrorists).

If you can't make it to the show but would still like a cd - please peep this link about reserving a cd: http://52weeksproject.blogspot.com/2010 ... rders.html

Unless it's super annoying, I will also post a new reason each day why you should totally buy a cd (seriously, someone say the word, and I'll just give you all the reasons why in one post, instead of several ;)

Reason #1: because all the money goes to a local charity. Let's hear it for saving the world through shopping! ;)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Reason #2

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:24 am

Reason #2 to buy this cd on the 20th:

At $5.20 for 52 songs, that's only 10 cents a song! By today's standards, all you have to do is like about 10 songs, and you've got your money's worth! Like any more than that, and we'll consider them free bonus tracks (maximum of 42 free bonus tracks per cd)!

(again, someone say the word, and I'll spit out the rest of the week's reasons all in one go. I feel like I pushed things enough by taking part in all that bronzing not too long ago ;)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Re: Reason #2

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:(again, someone say the word, and I'll spit out the rest of the week's reasons all in one go. I feel like I pushed things enough by taking part in all that bronzing not too long ago ;)

pace yourself.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:47 pm

I'll be out for this. Looking forward to it. Anyone else?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Reason #3

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:I'll be out for this. Looking forward to it. Anyone else?

I definitely am. Thanks, Matt!

Rolling right along with reason #3 to come out and pick up a dandy local effort:

"Try Before You Buy." Every song on the cd is up on the ol' blog (that first link on my signature).

"But that's crap," I hear you say. "Nobody just listens to songs anymore."

Fine then! Music videos!

48 (video by Jill LeBlanc!)

47 (stop-motion light painting animations! Crayola Glow Board stuff!)

39 (this was featured at SynthTube; I don't know why! I thought '47' was better in every way! Maybe they enjoyed the relaxed pace!)

Now, if I can just 'break character' for a minute: man, self-promotion takes some getting used to, if you've never done it before. It's a different set of muscles to be flexing, to be sure!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:49 am

So I'm up late working on finishing touches for album artwork, feeling kinda pissy about being up late and still working on this. But then, I throw on the new Girls Would Kill album (which they're giving away for free for a few days...and it comes with a comic: http://www.mediafire.com/?zdqzijxmiyi). And I feel better. Then I throw on Clinton's album. And I feel great. Just listening to good local music like these two acts just gives me a warm, home kind of feeling.

And now being up late working on this stuff feels kinda fun.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby giggleycraft » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 am

I'm hoping to make it out. I really like the music by all artists performing that night, and it's a good cause to support as well.
giggleycraft

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:53 pm

You're using 'hoping' as in 'going' in this situation, right? I am 'hoping' that is the case! (Wait...I don't think my joke works that way)

Point being: thanks, and hope to see you there!

And now, reason #4 to pick up a cd: the uniqueness factor! Aside from being the type of project you don't see in music all that often, there's only 52 of these cd's being made up. That's it. Limited edition. On purpose, to try and pique interest (is it working?). The cd packaging is going to reflect the unique nature of the product, but I think I'll let that be reason #5, tomorrow.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Updates!!!

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 pm

BUMP! I just wanted to remind all you fine people about the show Saturday night: Sunstar Lounge, music starting earlier than normal: 10:30-ish instead of 11 like most shows.

Sadly, thepurplecoolaidincident has had to bow out of the show due to unforeseen circumstances, but I thank him for all the help he's given me to date in setting this show up, and we all wish him well.

There will still be five other acts performing, though! Some new and insanely talented faces (Dok Rogers and Cryptowen), some old insane faces doing new things (Troy Chenier, myself), and The Trick, who always brings his game face to do awesome things.

Admission is still either $5, or, some pet food. Even a small tin that fits in your pocket is good! My cd will sell for $5.20, contains 52 tracks, and I'll be passing along all the money from sales to the Saint John Animal Rescue League.

There will be video screen projections if you are into visuals, and a potentially devastating jam session to close out the night. Please bring your party face. And, you know, $5.20 ;)

Be good out there,

-Christian LeBlanc
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

cover song & video!

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 am

Well, other than some early technical issues, I think the show went quite well! We managed to raise $449.55 for the Saint John Animal Rescue League (as well as two big boxes of pet food!), sets went down well, and I for one had a really good time.

I ended up having to drop this song from my set, but I liked it enough to want to make a rough recording of it and show off the visuals my wife Jill threw together for the live projections. It's a cover of "I Will Follow You into the Dark" by Death Cab For Cutie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw98sYdbyIM
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Re: Updates!!!

Postby Greg H. » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:There will still be five other acts performing, though! Some new and insanely talented faces (Dok Rogers and Cryptowen)

I went to school with Owen since elementary school! He actually has interesting music for one with no background knowledge. A little bit scary too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIR52Vcc ... re=channel

I'm sorry I couldn't make it out, I worked that night. It would have been a good show.
Also I like the cover! Good job!
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:36 pm

Yeah, Owen is a bit out there, but rather brilliant. I'm a big fan of his actually.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:58 pm

He reminds me of a young CREON, another local electronic musician, in that they both have volumes of output that makes my '52' thing look like I'm slacking, both have mad skills with this experimental stuff...they'd probably hate each other's music :P
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Return to Music and Musicians