Fleet Foxes

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Fleet Foxes

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:53 am

I've been listening to this band since my trip to Thailand. Ever listen to music so much during a particular period of your life that the thought of a particular song can stir up some really vivid memories? That's what this song does for me. Musically this is probably the biggest departure I've ever taken from the usual things I listen to, but it just stuck on me.

Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm

I was coaxed into giving these guys a listen a while back and I just didn't get it. Maybe I was just expecting something else with the way these guys have been built up by a lot of folks.

I really believe you have to be in the right head space to appreciate music, especially to give new stuff a try, and I think I just wasn't.

I may have to give them a spin again one of these days.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I was coaxed into giving these guys a listen a while back and I just didn't get it. Maybe I was just expecting something else with the way these guys have been built up by a lot of folks.

I really believe you have to be in the right head space to appreciate music, especially to give new stuff a try, and I think I just wasn't.

I may have to give them a spin again one of these days.

+1

Matt showed them to me a while back, and while I appreciate what they're doing, it didn't do it for me.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby clinton » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:18 pm

phaquin great band! So sincere and honest....
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby clinton » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:19 pm

as an afterthought, if you dig them, check out My Morning Jacket. They're the same sort of sound only better.
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby clinton » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:20 pm

me again, you may even want to check out Great Lake Swimmers.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:36 pm

clinton wrote:as an afterthought, if you dig them, check out My Morning Jacket. They're the same sort of sound only better.

See I really dig MMJ. I think I need to go back and really make a solid attempt to get into Fleet Foxes on some good monitors instead of crappy laptop speakers.

edit: just have some on in the background now, and I'm already digging it more.

I always appreciate finding out what's hip. I don't don't download music so sometimes it's hard to keep up with whats happening. Matt's one of my conduits into pop culture. He averages about a 75% success rate, which is incredibly high for me.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby clinton » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:54 pm

well I don't know if I'd be a good condidate to dictate what is "hip". I mostly listen to Elvis Costello, Ron Sexsmith, Bruce Cockburn, Denison Witmer and Paul Simon exclusively. I am constantly seeking out new (and old) music though.

MMJ are great huh? I wasn't so into the last album but It Still Moves and Z are terrific. I've seen them live and Jim James is just an amazing presence.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm a huge fan of everyone you listed except Denison Witmer, whom I will now have to go check out. So as far as I'm concerned you are another official arbiter of "hip". It's a loosely defined term that can fit a multitude of styles and genres depending on the context.

I also like being at least moderately up on what the kids are listening to these days, even if it's not really my thing, at least so if someone comes in the studio and says "I want to sound like <<insert artist name here>>" I won't seem like a total maroon.

That being said, I get to produce far less of what I would consider "hip" music than I'd like, but I guess that comes with the territory.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Dialogue!

*claps*
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:26 am

hahaha....this is the most action this forum has seen since the Long & McQuade drama of days past.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:18 am

Yeah I've been out of the loop for a while. Things are just starting to settle into a routine again.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:31 am

macrae11 wrote: He averages about a 75% success rate, which is incredibly high for me.

It's funny because I typically average a 75% failure rate with Clinton. It's my fault though I need to stop talking to him about music and then I'd have a 0% failure rate. :-P

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:26 am

hahaha...I actually don't know what you mean? Like you tell me about how cool Hedley are and I tell you why they're not? Or like I tell you about why Paul Simon is the greatest songwriter living today and you tell me I'm wrong? I am confused?
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:28 am

Who's Paul Simon?

(See? We are incompatible...lol)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Yeah Matt obviously knows better than to bring Hedley up to me. I would smack him for that. My wife likes them though. :-|
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:01 pm

macrae11 wrote:Yeah Matt obviously knows better than to bring Hedley up to me. I would smack him for that. My wife likes them though. :-|

... and yet she goes on un-smacked?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:15 pm

She doesn't try to tell me how cool they are. She knows they're lame but doesn't care. Also she doesn't listen to them in my proximity.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:29 pm

macrae11 wrote:She doesn't try to tell me how cool they are. She knows they're lame but doesn't care. Also she doesn't listen to them in my proximity.

Actually the correct answer was: "No, it's wrong to hit women."

Actually I'm pretty open to music, popular or not. The only band I can even say that I really really don't want to understand is Nickelback. I get why they are popular on a business level (target audience... :-x ) but I refuse to recognize anything resembling talent there. Also whoever was responsible for "Who Let The Dogs Out", then can fluff right off too.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm not opposed to popular music. I think Destiny's Child are great and I really dug that Umbrella tune by Rhianna. I just find most stuff on commercial radio today hard to digest.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:45 pm

clinton wrote:I'm not opposed to popular music. I think Destiny's Child are great and I really dug that Umbrella tune by Rhianna. I just find most stuff on commercial radio today hard to digest.

Look up Jamie Cullum's version of Umbrella, what a great song.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
macrae11 wrote:She doesn't try to tell me how cool they are. She knows they're lame but doesn't care. Also she doesn't listen to them in my proximity.

Actually the correct answer was: "No, it's wrong to hit women."

Well then I wouldn't be able to hit you either. :-P

Yeah I'm cool with pop music. It's rare but there's still some great mainstream tunes, although most of the good stuff is underground. Hedley annoys me though. Something about the guys voice.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Sun May 02, 2010 6:58 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Who's Paul Simon?

Awesome!
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon May 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Crimson Chameleon wrote:

Awesome!
Used to play with Art Garfunkel... ;-)
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon May 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Crimson Chameleon wrote:

Awesome!
Used to play with Art Garfunkel... ;-)

Oh Art Garfunkel rules! This Paul Simon guy must've been okay, if he worked with Garfunkel. I wish I was cool enough to work with Garfunkel. He wrote so many amazing songs! Sound of Silence, The Boxer, Bridge Over Troubled Water, etc. Does anyone remember the name of that guy that used to follow him around in those days? He was always trying to get credit for Garfunkel's work... Really bugged me.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Next

Return to Music and Musicians