Anyone try SoundCloud?

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Anyone try SoundCloud?

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed May 19, 2010 10:43 am

I just signed up for an account yesterday. It's a music hosting site, meant to rival Myspace. They do some things better (you can upload 2 hours' worth of music), and some things worse (the free account allows unlimited streams, but only 100 downloads per song?!).

What I really think is cool, though? You can comment on specific parts of a song. That is: say I upload a song (I haven't yet). It displays as a wave form, in the player, so you can visually see peaks and valleys and all that. There's a bar at the bottom of it, allowing you to click anywhere in the song and add your comments for everyone to see.

For anyone on these forums that asks for advice, or is looking to collaborate with people online, I think that this is powerful, ingenious, and really simplifying. There's an example of that right here (it's at the bottom, under "The Modernist").

Ok, bye!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Sat May 22, 2010 1:44 am

I now have an example of my own to show you:
http://soundcloud.com/christianleblanc/galacta-demo

There aren't even any lyrics yet, but it's about Galacta, daughter of Galactus (hence I wrote it in a G Minor scale...get it?)

I still think the ability to comment on any part of the song is a very useful feature, and urge people here to again give it a quick try, if you haven't before.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue May 25, 2010 12:30 am

I'm the only one posting in my own thread. Look at me, I'm a show promoter! :D

(j/k, not really expecting any replies for a while, just wanted to make the joke)

Anyway! My point in posting? 2009 saw me writing lots and lots of tiny little demo tunes for a web project. I've continued writing demos since then (and even played a short set of all-new tunes written in 2010), but this song here ( http://soundcloud.com/christianleblanc/ ... uidevocals ) is the first time in years that I've taken the time to work out a full-fledged* song properly.
The first demo of the song I posted was just my hand-held sequencer. The 2nd demo has most of the voices replaced with better instruments, and guide vocals (using my crappy old mic). The next demo I post should be more complete: proper mixing, re-programmed drums, vocals recorded on my new mic and usb input recorder, and even some vocoder bits added in as highlights.

I'm just making a record of working on this song because a) this process means something to me, and b) maybe other people could benefit from seeing this progression (by seeing not only what I'm doing right, but what I'm doing wrong, too).

Of course, any thoughts/comments are always welcome from you guys.

*disclaimer: my definition of 'full-fledged' is likely a lot more lax than most of the professionals on these boards :)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Jef » Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 am

By all means... keep posting your progress. Even if there are no comments, doesn't mean it's not getting read. This could be a valuable learning experience for others in your situation or for people who want to be.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Greg H. » Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 am

I confess to reading and being crippled by my laziness to the point of unresponsiveness.
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue May 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Greg H. wrote:I confess to reading and being crippled by my laziness to the point of unresponsiveness.

Ha! Sometimes I'll go so far as to craft a response to someone, but then hit 'cancel' when I realize I'm not really adding anything to the discussion. Sometimes. Most of the time I let'r rip anyway.

Thanks guys!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Cryptowen » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 pm

I was thinking of doing a New Brunswick group on SC, but it seems like Christian is the only other person I know locally who uses it. Odd, as it would easily beat the pants off of Myspace if gigantic internet fixtures wore pants.

Anyway, http://soundcloud.com/cryptowen
Cryptowen

Return to Music and Musicians