Clip On Headstock Tuners

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Clip On Headstock Tuners

Postby clinton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:57 am

are you for them or against them?
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 am

I've never used them much. What's your experience with them?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:40 am

If you have acoustic instruments that don't have a pickup of some sort, the clip-on tuners serve the purpose quite nicely. Especially if there is some background noise involved and the internal mic of 'conventional' type tuners can't hear properly. The clip-on tuner senses the resonance from the wood (or other material) of the instrument. They still do not compare to in-line tuners which provide even more isolation from external noise, but need an electronic signal.
The convenience factor (and low cost) of the clip-on gets an A+ in my opinion.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby clinton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:55 am

I bought a cheap one at Beats & Bytes for a show I did in Riverview where I wanted to use a couple of guitars. I only have one TU-2 in-line tuner so this was a $20 solution. I really like it. It's extremely conventient and just as (if not more) accurate than my TU-2.

I wonder what the advantage is to the more expensive models I see at Musicstop for $70 plus. Anyone know?
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Jef » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:03 am

clinton wrote:...I wonder what the advantage is to the more expensive models I see at Musicstop for $70 plus. Anyone know?

No advantage. I have an intellitouch tuner I bought for my stand-up bass and paid 120 bucks for. I also have one of the smaller cheap generic type ones I just picked up as a spare. I find no difference in the two of them as far as performance and accuracy. I think you just pay for brand name only.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:03 am

Biggest thing I've noticed with the expensive ones is they tend to have a bit more accurate metering, and are a bit faster/more accurate, and they have some added bonus's like backlighting so you can see them on a dark stage, and useless things like carrying cases.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Greg H. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 am

I've never found one that I particularly love, but then again the only time I play acoustic shows are at small quiet coffee houses, So I haven't had much to do with clip-on tuners.

For my personal tuning endeavors I prefer my Korg. It has input, can still pick up acoustic in louder environments (Like when my music is on) and can be set to go three steps down or so. Also works well with my bass. Oh and it can shoot people I don't like and take forensic blood samples, which is fun for those crime scene gigs.

EDIT: That was my 200th post :mrgreen:
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby roachie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:54 pm

I have never had a problem with the clip-on jobbies... Maybe the more expensive ones are just a bit more 440 than the cheaper ones.
roachie
Sean Roach

Return to Music and Musicians