Local Venues

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Local Venues

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Wondering whats out there for small-medium sized venues around these parts. Have a friend from Toronto who's doing an East Coast tour, and is hoping to book a few gigs. They're a 4 piece male a cappella group that have travelled all over North America and Europe. They primarily do soft seaters, but will play anywhere reasonable. On this coast they usually do shows ranging from 100-300, but again won't refuse anything reasonable.

One of the reasons they're coming down is for a showcase for all the major theatre presenters, so next year they might be doing a tour of the Imperial, Playhouse etc, but for now, probably shooting a little smaller than that.

Any ideas? I've heard a lot about Vintage Bistro lately, but it seems to me that it's more of a singer songwriter, 20-30 person venue, but I could be wrong. What's out there?

Here's a link BTW: http://www.cadence-unplugged.com/
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby clinton » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:16 pm

Vintage was the first place that came to mind. They have two rooms. One is more singer-songwriter and the other handles a bigger crowd. I am certain that this place would work for what you've described.

The Blue Olive might be a good fit as well. It's on Rothesay Avenue and is suited to all kind of entertainment. They've hosted some pretty big names such as Ron Sexsmith, Josh Ritter and others.

If I think of more, I'll post it
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby dylanger » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Definetly check out the vintage, they've had lots of different kinds of acts, from Neil youngs sister to really loud blues bands :twisted:. Hampton is very cultural town and the regular people that go there are general music lovers that will listen to anything.

I'll pm you the person to get in to contact with
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks guys. Keep em comin.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby roachie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:12 pm

You could try The Phoenix if'n you dare... you know the place.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:32 pm

I think I'd like them to have a positive view of New Brunswick. I'm also looking for a place that has a fairly self sufficient setup. I'd rather they don't have to do much advertising or anything other than just sending a press kit.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Blue Olive or Vintage, or better yet... Both. They both get my endorsement, but Blue Olive is a well oiled machine.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:07 am

macrae11 wrote: I'd rather they don't have to do much advertising or anything other than just sending a press kit.

Really? From my experience, this doesn't happen. Playing a show involved you doing your part to get people out. Unless you've really built a name for yourself, it's part of the game.
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:26 am

clinton wrote:
macrae11 wrote: I'd rather they don't have to do much advertising or anything other than just sending a press kit.

Really? From my experience, this doesn't happen. Playing a show involved you doing your part to get people out. Unless you've really built a name for yourself, it's part of the game.

I don't necessarily agree with this at all. If a venue pays a guarantee than they will most definitely promote to cash in on their investment. I'm assuming with an act like theirs getting a reasonable guarantee from a venue/promotoer shouldn't be too hard.

I toured with a mostly unknown band for years and the bars paid a guarantee, so they were responsible for getting people in so that they don't lose money.

If there is no guarantee then yeah... it's the artists responsibility. Because no one else loses money if no one shows up.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:45 am

Yeah that's pretty much how all their gigs work, unless they're playing in the GTA, where they do all their own promotion. And they certainly do what they can, they've done free short matinee's on the day of concerts to advertise the show at night and that sort of thing. It's just that there's not much you can do ahead of time, boots on the ground wise, when you're only flying in for one day.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Music and Musicians