Experimental Artists' Night - Sunstar, Fri Jul30 - Benefit!

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Experimental Artists' Night - Sunstar, Fri Jul30 - Benefit!

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey, everybody! I'm trying another set of all-new material on Friday. I've copied and pasted the g-cycle announcement, but let's have an honest discussion here, if we can:

What are your thoughts on 'live' electronic music?

Sure it's a can of worms, but it's a discussion that's still going on. There's no right or wrong answer, just opinions. But I'm really interested in what you guys think, partly because you're not afraid to give me an honest answer.

For my part:

The more 'automated' a set is, the more presence the performer(s) need to provide. I've always felt conflicted about how much the artist should be playing live, vs how much can be pre-sequenced. I've always felt that Patrick Reinartz (The Trick, from Fredericton) does it right - he plays his guitar, plays his keys, tweaks his drums, sings, and has good stage presence (incidentally, his new cd sounds amazing - http://www.indiepool.com/TTRI001 - and he's playing this Saturday night at Pepper's Pub. If you can do only one event this weekend, I suggest seeing him.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In support of our roller derby girls, there's another Experimental Solo (Electronic?) Artists' showcase going on at Sunstar. This Friday, let's sayyyyy, doors open at 10pm? $5, and the money doesn't go to Corporate. It goes to the Fog City Rollers (Saint John Roller Derby Girls!).

According to the facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 004&ref=ts), the artists are TBA.

In addition to TBA (who I hope are good), I'm supposed to be playing a set here as well. Now, my voice still isn't up to par after being sick, so in true 'bandwich' spirit, I'll be writing a new 'compensation' song each night this week, leading up to the show. Brand new set, brand new approach. More hands on. More presence. More atmosphere. I'm using some tools I've never tried using during a show. It should surprise anyone who's seen me play before (that would be...Mike and Dan. Mike and Dan, prepare to be surprised!).

Other artists: we're supposed to have chiptunes represented! Some Korg Kaoss going on! I heard rumours of a Cannibal! And the lead singer of Halo! Something about a Crypt? Someone official can confirm/deny any of these rumours, most likely after the show is over. Who or what do you guys want to see at these events?

Speaking of these events - thanks Dan Chamberlain and thanks Mike Rogers at Sunstar Lounge for hosting these kind of nights. You don't see this happening in just any city. You see it happening here. Who has 4 thumbs and makes these things happen? Those guys! (...wait, did I say that right?)

So come on out, watch, listen, react, think either "this is really messed" or "this is really cool," depending on where your head is at, and support the girls. Hope to see you there!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Re: Experimental Artists' Night - Sunstar, Fri Jul30 - Benef

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote: But I'm really interested in what you guys think, partly because you're not afraid to give me an honest answer.

What are you trying to say? lol

Honestly I've never given it much thought. I like to see the live performance aspect of it more than the programmed element. The fun is in the risk of seeing someone perform live because there's danger involved.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:30 pm

As long as things are still mixed with live performance, anything goes as far as I'm concerned. That being said, I'll bet different artists are able to find a certain mix that works best for them, and gives the audience the most satisfying experience.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Music and Musicians