SJ Music Awards

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

SJ Music Awards

Postby clinton » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:53 pm

didn't those ones at Bowties happen this weekend or soemthing? Is there a list of winners?
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:59 pm

I didn't attend but received this via e-mail:

YOUR 2010 SAINT JOHN MUSIC AWARDS WINNERS:

2010 GUITAR PLAYER

Ron LeBlanc

2010 BASS PLAYER

John Collier

2010 DRUMMER

Kevin Shepard

2010 VOCALIST

Melanie Pitre

2010 GROUP OF THE YEAR

Shanklin Road

2010 SINGLE ACT

Carol Perry

2010 INSTRUMENTALIST

Sam Aucoin

2010 LOCAL LENGEND
Deb Harrity

Del Worden

Emery LeBlanc

Geoff Banks
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Every year I find out about it after it's too late. I read about it in Here though... http://herenb.canadaeast.com/music/article/1241400

I'm happy to see Kevin's name. Al Hovey is a helluva player too though, probably the most complete all-around drummer in the area. I don't play in bands anymore really so I'd say those two, along with Johnny Mo are my favorite of the drummers out there playing regularily. So it's nice to see good solid players getting recognition.

I've been digging Warren lately though. His work with Al Gallant is very nice, and very tight.

I'm lucky if I play more than once a week these days, too busy with other things. that and I'm kind of sick of drumming/music at the moment. It'll pass though...

As for John Collier on the bass, well can't argue that. He's a ridiculous player.

The rest of them, I don't really know many of the names on this list, but I'm sure they are all deserving too.

On an somewhat related note, I miss Big Easy. :-(
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Cool, thanks Malcolm. I was really curious about these. Congrats to the winners.

These results don't surprise me really. It seems like a very insular event they're running here. Were any original acts nominated? Is there a nominee list?
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:50 pm

clinton wrote:Is there a nominee list?
I think they run a system of having a huge list of nominees that gets voted down to a short list, and then that's what gets voted on to pick who's tops. I remember being sent a list of nominees that had like 10 or 12 in each category.

Perhaps someone more in the know will fill us in.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby clinton » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:52 pm

right on, I'd love to see it.

As an aside, I was nominated for vocalist of the year for the band Penny Blacks last year (I play drums in Penny Blacks)

*giggle*
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 pm

clinton wrote:right on, I'd love to see it.

As an aside, I was nominated for vocalist of the year for the band Penny Blacks last year (I play drums in Penny Blacks)

*giggle*

Oh my... Well I suppose at least they tried.

Who is the committee in charge of these awards anyways? I'm really ashamed to say I know absolutely nothing about these awards at all.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:11 pm

I feel like Groundhog Day when we have these discussions each year:

http://forums.middleaudio.com/viewtopic ... sic+awards

clinton wrote:It seems like a very insular event they're running here.

I think all "awards" events isolate themselves to an extent, all the way up to the largest of the genera. The trick is to try and be as inclusive as possible and hope for the best.

As accepted as things such as the Juno/Grammy awards are, there is still a huge percentage of folks that are missed or just plain ignored. It's gonna happen.

clinton wrote:Were any original acts nominated?
Not nominated, but just looking at the winners that I know -

"Shanklin Road" have recorded and performed "original" material for years.

John Collier has recorded and performed with many "original" artists, as has Kevin Shephard.

There doesn't appear to be any categories for composers or other behind the scenes people in this little gathering.

As I've said before, I'd love to see a larger more inclusive event from a combined effort of all our "Saint John" region cliques. We just need to keep the focus on the fact that these are best when treated as the social and business gatherings that they are, and not "competitions" per say.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I feel like Groundhog Day when we have these discussions each year:

http://forums.middleaudio.com/viewtopic ... sic+awards

Unlike Bill Murray, I keep forgetting that I've been down this road before. I believe I've made my position clear last year. The only difference for me now is that I'm far to busy working myself to be concerned with any of that.

The other thing that's changed in me is that I've stopped trying to make a difference. It's just not worth it, people will do whatever they do, and I'll do whatever I do. Simple as that.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:48 am

Drumwaiter wrote:people will do whatever they do, and I'll do whatever I do. Simple as that.

As someone who doesn't fit into either clique, I like this formula.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Return to Music and Musicians