End of an Era

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

End of an Era

Postby RoadDog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Chris Likourgiotis sent a message to the members of The Blue Olive.

--------------------
Subject: Anouncement

The Blue Olive is preparing for its final concerts this month and ending with a grand finale on January 8th. Every song has a last note and on Jan 8th the last note at the Blue Olive will be played by Bruce Guthro.

John and I have been passionate about music and the Blue Olive was our little venue that brought wonderful and memorable shows and became known all across Canada. Over hundreds of artists graced the stage with their talents, ranging from Saint John’s own Ken Tobias to Canadian Icon, Serena Ryder.

It all started 8 years ago when award winning musician, songwriter and friend Bruce Guthro, stepped on stage to open the Blue Olive.
“When I told him our plans for 2011, he agreed that it was only fitting that he closes the Olive".

Dec. 8 & 9 - Shanklin Road Christmas Show Dec. 10 - Gary Morris & Crossroads Dec. 17 - Radio Factory Dec. 18 - Opa Dec. 31 - New Years Bash with Opa Jan. 8 - Bruce Guthro with special guest Jessica Rhaye

We are proud of what we did with the Blue Olive. We took it as far as we could and now it is time to open a new chapter in that space. Renovations for our new venture will start early in 2011 and if all goes well we will be unveiling Splash - Thai Restaurant mid-winter.

As for the Mediterranean Restaurant it continue to serve the same great food that has been satisfying customers for almost 40 years.

January 8th is going to be a special night to say goodbye to the Blue Olive and launch our new adventure with Splash -Thai Cuisine.

$30 Tickets for the final Blue Olive show with Bruce Guthro and special guest Jessica Rhaye will go on sale Tuesday, December 7. There will only be 260 tickets sold and this will be a reserved seating performance.

John & I would like to thank all of you for all the support you have shown us throughout the years and for creating some great memories.

Sincerely,
John & Chris

Please support live music.
--------------------
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Greg H. » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:53 am

I enjoyed the Blue Olive, sad to see it go.
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:33 pm

It's been on GC for some time now as well. I won't judge their decision as they know their business and I don't, but it's still a shame.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby giggleycraft » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm really sad to see it go. Glad I got to play that stage once before they called it quits. I got to see some great shows at that venue. I hope something comes up to fill the void.
giggleycraft

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:48 pm

giggleycraft wrote: I hope something comes up to fill the void.

The tough thing about that is that I suspect the Blue Olive had enough cash flow to take a couple hits here and there, which is the biggest risk with being a live entertainment venue nowadays. It's going to be hard to find a replacement for the Blue Olive, for a number of reasons.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:19 pm

The Blue Olive had a great combination of things making it a step in a positive direction for live music in Saint John. Unfortunately economics plays a greater role in these decisions than most anything else.

I certainly have never worked in a nicer live music + food & beverage venue in this city.

Like it or not, another club, also gone, that I considered to be well set up for live music was the Hideaway.

Most of these type of "venues" are terrible places to actually see and hear live music. The ones that aren't are a pleasant surprise.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Music and Musicians