"Money For Nothing" Banned in Canada?

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

"Money For Nothing" Banned in Canada?

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:11 am

Anyone else think we need to bounce these idiots from spending our tax dollars on this kind of nonsense?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/pointofview/2011 ... radio.html

Doesn't make me a happy Canadian... :-x

Ridiculous overreaction, and taking things a little too one dimensionally.

That ruling is the obscene part of the story, and the percentage of people who disagree with it is pretty telling.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: "Money For Nothing" Banned in Canada?

Postby Jef » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:03 am

You can see a trend with how language is changing. Words that are now considered offensive are being replaced with less offensive ones that basically mean the same thing. For instance words like 'whore' or 'prostitute' have been replaced with 'sex-trade worker' just to clean it up enough to be read on the news. Classic works of literature like Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn are also coming under scrutiny for the use of the 'n' word and are being banned in many places.

I think that for the minority of people who can't get past the offending words to see the context behind them, an easy solution would be for them to maybe turn the radio off or tune to a different station, or not read the offending literature? Instead of banning it from everyone.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Greg H. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:25 pm

I can see the argument in censorship of music on the radio, not that I support it, but book stores banning classic books because they're not politically correct? I just think the western world has it's head shoved way to far up it's ass.
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby roachie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm gonna go to see Mama Mia, and when I get home, I'm gonna start a campaign about how offensive that music is, because I hate ABBA... then my responses will be, "why did you go to an ABBA movie" knowing you don't like ABBA? I should've just stayed home.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:57 pm

I think "politically correct" was invented by the political right to make the political left look stupid. It's working really well so far, even creating enough of a backlash in places to rouse dormant feelings of discrimination in people (That's not directed at anyone here, it's just something I've been noticing on facebook more and more).

When someone goes out of their way to avoid referring to someone's race, orientation, gender or profession...well, what's so offensive about their race, orientation, gender or profession in the first place that even acknowledging it is some form of insult?
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:47 am

I don't really think anything needs to be invented to make people look stupid... :-D
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 pm

macrae11 wrote:I don't really think anything needs to be invented to make people look stupid... :-D

And yet, we have people out there walking with ski poles in summer. The invention and experimentation never ceases :)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:11 pm

My dad says next Christmas we won't be able to hear Deck The Halls because one of the lines in the song says, "Don we now our gay apparel."

It might offend little baby jesus.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Return to Music and Musicians