My New Songwriting Project for 2011

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

My New Songwriting Project for 2011

Postby clinton » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi all! I want to tell you about a new songwriting project that I have started for 2011. Inspired by the likes of Ari Hest, Josh Rouse and Saint John's own Christian LeBlanc, I have committed to writing, recording and posting a new song for every month of the year. The first song will be published on January 31st.

If you'd like to check out the project, you can do so by checking out the web-site that the amazing Jordan Stewart made for me:

http://www.januarythroughdecember.com

My friend Dan Culberson has made a video to help me explain the concept and drum up some interest in the site. You can view it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4gVp5dlGi0

I'm really excited about this project and I don't think I could have made it happen without the help of my friends Jordan Stewart, Dan Culberson and Jason Ogden (he made the graphics for the page).

I hope some of you will sign up.

Thanks for reading...
-clinton
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Sorry I've been busy and haven't been keeping up with things around here.

This is great! I'm going to subscribe to this before the end of the month. I'm looking forward to hearing your new work. Are you going to be recording with Sean on this new material?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:49 pm

thanks for the interest Matt, I was worried I was a middleaudio exile..haha

I'm going to record the songs myself actually. It's been ages since I've done home recordings and I've loved them every time I did. 'Unamused' from the SJ3 album was the last time I even used my recorder (a Boss BR-532 DAW).

It's funny, I've actually had a lot of trouble writing this month. I have tapes and tapes of ideas at home and generally can come up with a couple of ideas that I like every month but as soon as I committed to this project, I seemed to freeze up.

Thankfully I've come up with a little folk ditty this past Monday that I'm really excited about. So now the rush is on to get it recorded and mixed to post for the last day of the month.

My goal with this project is to get back to the purity of writing and recording for the love it. I'm also hoping to learn some discipline with my writing instead of just waiting for the muse to strike.

This will be my main focus this year musically and I'm hoping that people will sign up. I don't intend to play live very much this year while I write some new songs for my next album proper and have more time for my family, biking, fishing and just hanging out. I also want to work on my guitar playing, my drumming and to continue learning the banjo (something that has really taken me by storm these past few months and is much harder than I aonticipated).

Anyway, sorry for the rant here gang but I am really excited about this and can easily run off at the mouth at the mere mention of it.

love ya's
-clinton
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:20 pm

I think Middle Audio itself feels as though it's been exiled as of late, but I'll try to keep it humming along...lol I've got 3 full albums on the go at the studio though, plus family stuff, and blah, blah, blah... But I'm going to try to not neglect my post.

That's great though, I respect that you are doing it all solo. It's like you are taking a sabbatical of sorts. I'm sure a lot of us would love to do that as well. It's good though that you are abe to prioritize the things that are important to you.

Anyways, looking forward to it!
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm in.

Can't wait to hear how you make out. Hopefully the recording process specifically will lead you in here for some chats.

I love how these are becoming the in thing these days. Great fun as a viewer/listener.

Mary Stewart's "Song a Day" is still one I enjoy browsing for interesting music and fun.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Congratulations for starting this, Clinton. I strongly feel that the schedule you chose will allow you to do justice to the songs, not like these flash-in-the-pan weekly hosers. (Speaking of which, you were under no obligation to mention me, but I'm touched that you did.) I am totes looking forward to discussing these songs with everyone!

And Malcolm - a song a day?! I've only ever heard of one other person who pulled that off. Amazing. Way to show up me and Clinton here, what the heck.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:10 am

Christian LeBlanc wrote:And Malcolm - a song a day?! I've only ever heard of one other person who pulled that off. Amazing. Way to show up me and Clinton here, what the heck.
Different things with different parameters. If you look at her stuff, it was most certainly about the seeds of ideas as opposed to finished recordings.

Still... pretty amazing to think about.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Cryptowen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:17 am

It's easy to do a song a day when you use sequencers...well, a sketch of a song, anyway. Something with lots of chord changes & strong melodic lines & junk like that usually takes a bit longer.
Cryptowen

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:42 am

Pretty much my thoughts. I think that Clinton is aiming for a full song per month as opposed to a little idea that's half fleshed out.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Cryptowen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:55 am

I imagine one finished song per month is about as fast as one should go if they want to guarantee nice results. One day songs can be a lot of fun to make & a good learning experience, but only about 1/10th feel like things that could stand on their own with little reworking (for me, at least). I try changing my production process each year. 2010 was short songs. 2011 will probably be something different.

Anyway, Clinton, good luck with this and I will be looking out for what comes out of this.
Cryptowen

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Cryptowen wrote:I imagine one finished song per month is about as fast as one should go if they want to guarantee nice results...
...unless you're working on the stuff full time. Entire albums have been written and recorded in much less than one month. Usually not while juggling a job and a family though.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Music and Musicians