2011 ECMA Nominations

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

2011 ECMA Nominations

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 pm

http://www.eastcoastnoise.com/2011/01/20/myles-leads-ecma-nominations/

Andrew, I think we got a really good shot at Gospel recording of the year! I see Richard's album on there! :-D

Also MasterTracks is a nominee! Congratulations to Danny, Andrew, and Chris.

PS - Andrew, please remember to bring down a copy of Richard's CD for me and Aaron this weekend.
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:53 pm

That's some nice optimism there Matt, but unfortunately I don't really see it happening. It'll be the same as it always is for 902 awards. That being said there is some phenomenal talent in the category this year, which has been lacking for the last couple of years.

Same deal for Mastertracks. It'll go to Lakewind or Sonic Temple. It's a coin flip which of those two are most worthy. They are "the studios" in the Maritimes.

Also two of JR Vautour's artists got nominated in the country category, Heather Allison and Kevin Davison. You might remember Matt, JR's the one who hooked me up with Big Tractor.

And Kathleen Gorey-McSorley is another artist who I worked with who got nominated. She's in a real talented category with Dave Gunning(huge fan!) and Richard Wood.

Your copies are already in the car.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:39 pm

macrae11 wrote:Same deal for Mastertracks. It'll go to Lakewind or Sonic Temple. It's a coin flip which of those two are most worthy. They are "the studios" in the Maritimes.

2011 now has a new goal: To be beat Nova Scotia into sharing some of their success. I don't care how many gobos I gotta build to do it either... :-P
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:06 pm

After many years of trying to be inclusive to "all", I wonder why the ECMA hasn't been more successful in beating that perception of being the Halifax music awards?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:After many years of trying to be inclusive to "all", I wonder why the ECMA hasn't been more successful in beating that perception of being the Halifax music awards?

I don't mind, I like a challenge.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:28 pm

I think it's just the nature of the awards. As far as the events, publicity, and locations, they are very good at spreading things around. But the bottom line is that I would guess half of the voting bloc lives in the Halifax Metro area. So unless you're a well known artist from another province, like David Myles, Hot Toddy, or Chris Colepaugh, (many of whom have moved to Halifax) you just aren't going to get the recognition.

No matter how deep you are into the music scene, you're never going to know all the nominees. I don't think I know all the nominees in any one category, except for the big ones. So if you don't know anybody, you're going to vote for friends, or at least a name you recognize.

It's no different than any other awards event. It's really more about getting nominated, because that means that somebody listened to the work, judged it against the other competitors and decided it's worthy to stand amongst it's peers. Not saying I wouldn't love to win one, just that it's far less of a big deal.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Yeah. The old stereotype of "just happy to be nominated" turns out to be quite true.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Music and Musicians