Playdates

Postby Alain Benoit » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:08 pm

www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Re: Playdates

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:25 pm

"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:27 pm

So, are "Music Videos" more or less important now VS 20 years ago?

I remember artists being talked into spending ten of thousands on videos because they had to break into the music channels. Now, is there a return on that with posting your vid on YouTube?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Hmmmm.... I suppose since music seems to be in a bit of a "preset" world, I guess videos had to go there too.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Well they certainly didn't spend tens of thousands of dollars on those videos for starters....lol But yeah I get your point. I still think music videos are important in giving impression that a band has "made it" this business is all about hype and music videos can help with that perception.

As far as presets go... I think the video looks like the song sounds, in that sense they are matched very well IMO. Neither are reinventing the wheel in any way, but there's nothing wrong with that necessarily.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:But yeah I get your point. I still think music videos are important in giving impression that a band has "made it" this business is all about hype and music videos can help with that perception.
I actually wasn't trying to make a point, but maybe you were expecting my usual cheekiness. I agree it's all about perception.

Drumwaiter wrote:As far as presets go... I think the video looks like the song sounds, in that sense they are matched very well IMO. Neither are reinventing the wheel in any way, but there's nothing wrong with that necessarily.
I think that was what I was getting at. When the songs start to sound the same, I guess the videos will look that way too. I'm not saying it doesn't look good. I just don't see a lot of what made music videos originally interesting in the last two decades or so.

I just remember there being a rush to get artists to do videos, and now, it just doesn't seem to be a concern to many. Is that the case, or just my perception?

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:As far as presets go... I think the video looks like the song sounds, in that sense they are matched very well IMO. Neither are reinventing the wheel in any way, but there's nothing wrong with that necessarily.
I think that was what I was getting at. When the songs start to sound the same, I guess the videos will look that way too. I'm not saying it doesn't look good. I just don't see a lot of what made music videos originally interesting in the last two decades or so.

I just remember there being a rush to get artists to do videos, and now, it just doesn't seem to be a concern to many. Is that the case, or just my perception?

No I totally agree, but in the 80s when MTV first arrived there was a lot of interesting music to go along with interesting videos. The hair and glam metal videos were pretty homogenous though as was the style of music. I don't think it's era driven though, I think the video will often match the originality of he music. Peter Gabriel had videos as original as his musical concepts, so did Poison... But I don't think the medium of video is dying at all. Rihanna and Lady Gaga's videos are way out there, but after a while (as with music) there is only some much you can do until it's rehashing old ideas.

There isn't much original about the Playdates, their music, or their videos. However, It's well crafted pop music that has good teen appeal though, so their videos will follow suit. The market they are playing to is expecting the status quo to an extent and I think it would be a mistake to disappoint. I hope that business model brings them success, because then maybe a couple of people would turn to look at Saint John to see what else is there.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Cryptowen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:08 am

I liked that Shinjuku Mad video from last year, with the squid in it.
This is well produced I guess. Not really my thing...
Cryptowen

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 am

Cryptowen wrote:I liked that Shinjuku Mad video from last year, with the squid in it.

Haha... Yeah, that was fun.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Music and Musicians