Cd duplication

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Cd duplication

Postby roachie » Thu May 17, 2012 9:30 pm

So... pretty much at that step, any favorite places that you guys use to duplicate your jams?
roachie
Sean Roach

Re: Cd duplication

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu May 17, 2012 11:56 pm

Can I be the first dork to point out the difference between "duplication" and "replication"?

When people are trying to separate CDR copies of your work, and actual CDA discs, the two terms used by those in the know are "duplication" for CDR copies, and "replication" for proper Audio CDs.

I assume what you are looking for are proper CDs.

In connection with your CDs, are you looking for any other distribution included such as iTunes or other affiliations? I understand many of the replication firms are now bundling this "digital distribution" in with their packages these days.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Fri May 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Chris Gay at Express Duplication should be able to help you out with that Sean.
http://www.atlanticwaves.ca/ (ph. 506-755-6140)
He has a small but well equipped facility that he runs from his home in Lake Utopia. He is set up to do all the graphics etc. Can do small runs (50 units). Very affordable.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Outreach Productions (where Andrew works) also coordinates that stuff. Their staff is unaturally helpful.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri May 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Yeah we do dat here. I would recommend getting replication done as opposed to duplication. The minimum order has been significantly reduced from 500 minimum order to 250 minimum order. We usually recommend CD Baby for all your online stuff. We used to work with IndiePool but had some bad experiences with them.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Tue May 22, 2012 2:18 am

Hey Andrew,

How much does it cost to get 250 replications of a project from you guys?
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 am

dylanger wrote:Hey Andrew,

How much does it cost to get 250 replications of a project from you guys?

Well there's quite a few variables in there, but if you give me some details I can get you a quote. Do you need graphic design done as well? If you have somebody doing it, please just be careful to verify they're competent and can design strictly to a template. Ask Matt what can go wrong if you skimp on this step facepalm . If you need graphics or photography done we can do that, but I would suggest you get in touch with our designer to discuss that. For the packaging are you planning on a 2 panel, one page insert; 4 panel, two page; 4 panel, 8 page? Do you want a clear tray, or a black tray with the traycard just visable on the back? Maybe you want cardboard in which case the variables, and the price go way up. If you want, I'm in Saint John on Friday so we could discuss then.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue May 22, 2012 9:12 am

macrae11 wrote:Do you need graphic design done as well? If you have somebody doing it, please just be careful to verify they're competent and can design strictly to a template. Ask Matt what can go wrong if you skimp on this step facepalm .

Dear lord... If anyone comes to you claiming to have experience in doing graphic design work for CD covers/inserts ask for a copy of 3 CDs that they have done so you can verify their work. There are plenty of places where you can save yourself some money, I don't recommend that this is the place where you start trying to cut corners. Roach's album artwork is realy nice. It was done by Greg Nicholson. I think his work is really good, and his prices are reasonable.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue May 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
macrae11 wrote:Do you need graphic design done as well? If you have somebody doing it, please just be careful to verify they're competent and can design strictly to a template. Ask Matt what can go wrong if you skimp on this step facepalm .

Dear lord... If anyone comes to you claiming to have experience in doing graphic design work for CD covers/inserts ask for a copy of 3 CDs that they have done so you can verify their work. There are plenty of places where you can save yourself some money, I don't recommend that this is the place where you start trying to cut corners. Roach's album artwork is realy nice. It was done by Greg Nicholson. I think his work is really good, and his prices are reasonable.

The world of professional graphic work has been raped the same as professional recording. Everyone with a laptop and a copy of paint is a "designer" now the same as everyone with a guitar and a laptop has a "studio". Not only do you need to make sure you have someone who is a competent designer, but I'm a fan of folks who know the idea behind what great album covers look like. I can see it in the work whether they have looked at album covers the way real fans do, because ultimately, that's what I want.

As Matt said, get at least 3 copies of what they've already done, and don't be afraid to be particular about what you want. Good designers want you to give specific direction because it makes it easier for them to get the job done. They will also follow through to the end to make sure that when you print a bagillion of them, it comes out the way you want.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Chuck Teed » Tue May 22, 2012 9:32 pm

I usually use MMS Atlantic when replicating discs. I've worked with Robert Buck on several projects over the years and have never had a problem. Great guy. That being said, Jason Ogden worked with S&J Duplication and he says they offered the lowest price in Canada. Look 'em up if you're interested.

I also use CD Baby for my online needs.
Chuck Teed

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Chuck Teed wrote:I usually use MMS Atlantic when replicating discs. I've worked with Robert Buck on several projects over the years and have never had a problem. Great guy. That being said, Jason Ogden worked with S&J Duplication and he says they offered the lowest price in Canada. Look 'em up if you're interested.

I also use CD Baby for my online needs.
Thanks for the input Chuck... Much appreciated.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Chuck Teed » Fri May 25, 2012 1:26 am

I could add 1000 things to this thread, seriously, but I`ll only add a few (for now):
1) MAKE SURE THE ALBUM LOOKS AS GOOD AS IT SOUNDS. I want to pull my hair out whenever I see someone with a $10,000 recording spend $10 on graphic design. Bad artwork can kill album sales, so make sure it displays well.

2) MAKE SURE YOU COPY EDIT EVERYTHING BEFORE SENDING THE GRAPHICS TO PRESS. Nothing is worse than seeing album credits rife with spelling errors and misspelled names. If you don't know how to spell someone's name, ask them, and have someone well versed in the English language check every ounce of copy before you send off your graphics.

3) GET A PROOF OF THE GRAPHICS BEFORE YOU SIGN OFF ON PRESSING. Sometimes problems will pop up when sending files, and that nice cover image you had is suddenly a different colour, or pixellated beyond recognition. A good company will send you a proof of the graphics without asking, but make sure you request it either way.

4) PRESS THE ALBUM WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE CD RELEASE. I can't tell you have many times I have attended CD-less CD release parties. Turnaround time is usually around two weeks, but don't bank on it. I would try to have your discs in hand at least a few weeks ahead of time so you can advance them to your press contacts and help build some buzz prior to an official launch.

5) EXPECT TO GIVE A FEW DISCS AWAY. I usually put at least 15% of my discs aside for promo. That includes CD giveaways, radio, print, television, blogs, booking agents, talent buyers, etc. It might seem like a lot, and giving a CD away won't always guarantee a gig/review/article/fan, but if you do some research beforehand (and some followup afterwards), promo discs can spur sales and land you gigs.

OK, that's it for now. Sorry for rambling.
Chuck Teed

Postby Alain Benoit » Fri May 25, 2012 4:03 pm

(lap
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby dylanger » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:19 pm

CD Baby? Has anyone done mastering through these guys, they seem to be the one stop shop. I'm able to get 500 copies, in jewel cases, bar code, commemorative plaque, mastered, and shipped for 1779.00+tax.

That seems to be a pretty good deal I'm just wondering what the mastering is like since they only charge $500 for it.

Dylan
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:42 pm

dylanger wrote:CD Baby? Has anyone done mastering through these guys, they seem to be the one stop shop. I'm able to get 500 copies, in jewel cases, bar code, commemorative plaque, mastered, and shipped for 1779.00+tax.

That seems to be a pretty good deal I'm just wondering what the mastering is like since they only charge $500 for it.

Dylan
Don't.... Please.

I can't speak for the specifics of CD Baby, but I have had experiences with records that I've mixed getting "Mastered" by these do everything firms. From what I can tell, most just have a list of folks that will do the work for them, and whoever is available and in budget gets your project. Little to no attention to what you actually want, and their mastering menu usually looks like a pro audio joke.

It won't cost a whole lot more than their rate to have a proper job done at a reputable facility, by a reputable person.

If you really wanna half ass it, I'll do it for $400, but you can't put my name on it... ;-)

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby dylanger » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Out of curiosity, where else could it be done for not much more?
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:54 pm

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:04 pm

dylanger wrote:Out of curiosity, where else could it be done for not much more?
Many or even most decent rooms have their rates available on their sites. I'm a fan of J. at Archive and his rates are here. Most will depend on the amount of material on the album, and what your expectations and needs are. Anytime I see a one size fits all kind of pricing scheme for a "CD" master, it tells me it's a one size fits all processing scheme as well.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:43 pm

I take some umbrage at Malcolm's points on "all in one" shops, since well, we're kind of and "all in one" shop ;-) . He is right about CD Baby's and Indiepools of the world though. When they add mastering to their list of services they're typically just shopping it out to a (sometimes quite reputable) facility where it gets done by the intern after the lights are out.

$1779 is about what we'd charge for a setup like that as long as the graphics were simple, although we don't do commemorative plaques...

$500 is cheap for a mastering job, but it's not excessively cheap like I've seen some places. I think J charges around $800-$900 and we would charge $600-$700, both assuming that it's a reasonable length, without 27 tracks or something like that.

I would match CD Baby's price for you, just to make sure you didn't do it through them. I recommend J. to all my clients with the budget for it though.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:17 pm

I know... It's hard to generalize without unintentionally goofing... I'm talking more about the replication and distribution type firms that "throw in" mastering as a feature of their service, but I know you know that. :-)

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 pm

I know you know I know that too :-P but just thought I'd point it out for posterity.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Music and Musicians