The Modern Music Industry

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

The Modern Music Industry

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Well I've seen this article a number of places and it seems pretty spot on to me. I've said my piece other places but I'd like to raise the point to the fine folks here to see what your thoughts are.

https://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/20 ... full-post/
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: The Modern Music Industry

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm in the middle of dance recital season right now and I'm probably not exaggerating when I say 98% of the music I'm supplied would have been procured by means that didn't involve payment to those who produced the material. I can't think of a better example of an indicator of where people's mindset is what has pulverized the recording industry.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:42 am

Malcolm... Stealing music is like Pro Tools. No matter what you think, neither are going away anytime soon. :-P

That being said, all we can do is try to raise awareness and to act with ingegrity ourselves so as to not be hypocrites.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:46 am

Speaking of purchasing music, I have never anticipated an album as much as the upcoming Testament offering since the Black album.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:51 am

Mathieu Benoit wrote:Malcolm... Stealing music is like Pro Tools. No matter what you think, neither are going away anytime soon. :-P

That being said, all we can do is try to raise awareness and to act with ingegrity ourselves so as to not be hypocrites.

I disagree with this somewhat. Raising awareness and educating people is of course an important(probably most important) aspect. But at this point in time there is still some question as to what the future will hold, and I think our voice needs to be heard in shaping that future. The side in favor of piracy is spending millions of dollars lobbying to get their way. They also have far more pervasive reach into the popular mindset. I haven't seen the perfect solution yet, but I think there is a place for legislation in this debate. Or at least more active enforcement of existing laws.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:19 pm

macrae11 wrote:I disagree with this somewhat. Raising awareness and educating people is of course an important(probably most important) aspect. But at this point in time there is still some question as to what the future will hold, and I think our voice needs to be heard in shaping that future. The side in favor of piracy is spending millions of dollars lobbying to get their way. They also have far more pervasive reach into the popular mindset. I haven't seen the perfect solution yet, but I think there is a place for legislation in this debate. Or at least more active enforcement of existing laws.

I understand Andrew... but YOU aren't personally going to go to Washington and lobbying for these rights so what exactly is it that you are doing? You are doing exactly what I'm saying is the only thing you can do. You are probably the most vocal person I know about this topic. It's good though because you keep it in the forefront of my mind. However there is still only so much any of us "little" people can do.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
macrae11 wrote:I disagree with this somewhat. Raising awareness and educating people is of course an important(probably most important) aspect. But at this point in time there is still some question as to what the future will hold, and I think our voice needs to be heard in shaping that future. The side in favor of piracy is spending millions of dollars lobbying to get their way. They also have far more pervasive reach into the popular mindset. I haven't seen the perfect solution yet, but I think there is a place for legislation in this debate. Or at least more active enforcement of existing laws.

I understand Andrew... but YOU aren't personally going to go to Washington and lobbying for these rights so what exactly is it that you are doing? You are doing exactly what I'm saying is the only thing you can do. You are probably the most vocal person I know about this topic. It's good though because you keep it in the forefront of my mind. However there is still only so much any of us "little" people can do.
Not being afraid to bring up the topic in mixed company is paramount. I have been reminding all the choreographers that have been coming to me with illegal copies of their music these past weeks about how small a cost it would be to have actually purchased their material, and as a byproduct had it sound better in the end. About the price of one nice pair of dance shoes.

I agree with Andrew. We need to push for the ones who are making the money off the artists and producers, the ISPs and the lot, to come clean and do something about what is going on under their noses. All this talk about "breaking the internet" is bollocks. It hasn't broken anything for Google to block certain things from searches that they have deemed inappropriate. Why not take another step against something that is clear cut theft of IP. I'll tell you why... Because people are becoming millionaires and more by letting it, or even encouraging it to happen.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:

I get where you're coming from and you're right as far as "little" people. However, andI haven't done this, discussing it with your MP would be a good step as well. Even if they're only a "middle" sized person they still talk to the "big" people.

It's a conversation I have fairly often due to working at the school. Although my wife and family often get sick of me preaching about it when I tell them I won't loan them my DVD's for them to rip.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 pm

macrae11 wrote:It's a conversation I have fairly often due to working at the school. Although my wife and family often get sick of me preaching about it when I tell them I won't loan them my DVD's for them to rip.

I am literally stuck between the two groups of people. I totally get where you are coming from.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 am

Somewhat related... the usually outspoken Steve Lukather weighs in on the state of things today:

http://mikeec.tumblr.com/post/241720508 ... like-it-is

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 am

They make ‘McRecords’ for people who don’t even really listen. It’s background music for people to either find a mate or shake their heads while texting or skyping or doing other things. Environmental noise for the multi-tasker.

(lap
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Jef » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:43 am

"People want to be famous NOT good!"
Good: You need money, equipment, knowledge, etc.
Famous: You need a cheap cam-corder and a YouTube account.
People don't want to listen to well produced recordings anymore... sad really.
:cry:
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Jef wrote:People don't want to listen to well produced recordings anymore... sad really. :cry:

I've never been a fan of Metric before, but their new album "Synthetica" really strikes me as an "album" album. As a silly little trick, they've printed the lyrics to all their songs backwards and included a loose booklet-sized 'mirror' that lets you read them, which, cheap trick as it is, I admire in that it forces the listener to engage with the album more.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:58 pm

This guy is so spot on that I might have to make him my home page.
http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/201 ... onsidered/
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:16 pm

macrae11 wrote:This guy is so spot on that I might have to make him my home page.

I didn't get to finish reading it all, but: "Congratulations, your generation is the first generation in history to rebel by unsticking it to the man and instead sticking it to the weirdo freak musicians!"

(lap
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

I just finished reading the whole thing and that was one of two lines that struck me the most as well.

The other was;

"Many in your generation are willing to pay a little extra to buy “fair trade” coffee that insures the workers that harvested the coffee were paid fairly. Many in your generation will pay a little more to buy clothing and shoes from manufacturers that certify they don’t use sweatshops. Many in your generation pressured Apple to examine working conditions at Foxconn in China. Your generation is largely responsible for the recent cultural changes that has given more equality to same sex couples. On nearly every count your generation is much more ethical and fair than my generation. Except for one thing. Artist rights."

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Steve Lukather is outspoken.
David Lowery (the trichordist) is well-spoken.
There is a difference.
Well-spoken is hyphenated.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 pm

People who know Lukather say he's calmed down with age... :-)

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:09 pm

He was worse?
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:06 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:In case peeps don't want to bother clicking.

Are you breaking copyright law reproducing that text over here?
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 pm

At least he properly credited it, this time.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 pm

I do have to admit... I'm more a fan of posting the proper link to the article first, and highlighting sections if necessary in your post. I frequent boards that are real sticklers about this sort of thing, but we have no hard rule on that here... yet... :oops:

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Chuck Teed » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for the read - glad to see some people finally speaking out about this. Definitely opened my eyes to some of the problems we are facing as creators.
Chuck Teed

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:23 pm

I think a big thing that has to happen is independent bands speaking up about this stuff. If a major label act says anything they just get labeled rich entitled dirt bags. Often I see students say that (insert favorite band here) gives away music for free so they don't buy anything. They take one groups (possibly even partial) catalog concept and apply it to every piece of music ever. It doesn't help with douchbags like Lefsetz spewing his crap everywhere. I'd suggest everyone copy Bob's tripe and claim it as your own since he has no respect for intellectual property, but it would just make you look like an ass too.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/ ... ry-screed/
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:40 pm

macrae11 wrote:This guy is so spot on that I might have to make him my home page.
Now this annoying reply:

http://www.wesleyverhoeve.com/quixotism/

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Next

Return to Music and Musicians