Where are all the keyboard players?

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Where are all the keyboard players?

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:37 pm

I mean seriously... I hear time and time again about groups looking for good synth/keys players. Didn't anyone think it was cool to play keys in a rock band? I touched base with someone recently who is trying to put together a cover band with keys/synths and they have heard from several drummers/bass players/guitarists/singers... and not a single keyboard player.

I guess we need to start encouraging younger types to pick up the instrument. Funny too, because synths were heavy in style when I was in high school, but now it seems nobody from my generation considers themselves a keyboard player.

Just thinking out loud... :oops:
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Where are all the keyboard players?

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I mean seriously... I hear time and time again about groups looking for good synth/keys players. Didn't anyone think it was cool to play keys in a rock band? I touched base with someone recently who is trying to put together a cover band with keys/synths and they have heard from several drummers/bass players/guitarists/singers... and not a single keyboard player.

I guess we need to start encouraging younger types to pick up the instrument. Funny too, because synths were heavy in style when I was in high school, but now it seems nobody from my generation considers themselves a keyboard player.

I am sure I'd qualify as a keyboard player. But I'd sooner leave it to better (or rather more interested) men.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:...groups looking for good synth/keys players

Tell these groups to lower their standards and watch me awkwardly make mistakes onstage!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Nick H. » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:54 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I mean seriously... I hear time and time again about groups looking for good synth/keys players. Didn't anyone think it was cool to play keys in a rock band? I touched base with someone recently who is trying to put together a cover band with keys/synths and they have heard from several drummers/bass players/guitarists/singers... and not a single keyboard player.

I would think it has something to do with the less-than-flattering connotations of 'synth player'. I know that synthesizers are still very widely used, particularly in today's pop music; but when I hear the phrase all I can think of is the intro to "Jump" by Van Halen and leather pants, and it tends to make me cringe a little.

I'd also think that synth players are generally less employable than e.g. a guitar player because of how few genres we see played live around here that really need synthesizer.

Thoughts?
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:57 am

You know, I would love to play synths in a cover band if we got to play songs that really utilized synth or keyboards well, in an alternative rock context..."Thumb" by Dinosaur Jr, "Crystal Crossed" by Sebadoh, "Asleep" by The Smiths, songs by The Cure, Metric, Interpol, The National, etc etc.

I'm not even talking about going all-out with juicy electronics, either (like Postal Service or Deadsy or The Birthday Massacre...which I would still love to cover). Just some modern tunes (ie, only 20-30 years old!) that everyone hasn't already heard a million times.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby dylanger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:44 pm

When I played in a cover band I wanted to buy a keytar just for a couple songs, figured people would get a kick out of it
dylanger
Silver Member

Return to Music and Musicians