ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:55 am

"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
User avatar
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Could be worse... Could be "Music NB" week... :roll:

This kind of performance "window" or "radius" is nothing new, just new to the ECMA. Do most artists agree that it's a bad idea? It will be interesting to see.

I've seen plenty of cases where something like this kind of forethought would have greatly impacted a festival's ability to sustain itself over the long term.

Many of the perceived "impromptu" performances during these kind of events are anything but that. The romanticism is exaggerated IMO.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
User avatar
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:21 am

I realize this kind of thing is commonplace for festivals, I'm just surprised the ECMA is going there.

The great thing about the whole week/weekend was that you could expose yourself as much as you wanted and make some extra cash to afford the trip to wherever the event was being held that year.

I guess before I really made up my mind on this matter I'd have to see the wording of said contract, the CBC article is kinda vague about what the restrictions are exactly.

As far as what other ECMA associated musicians think of it... Most on my facebook feed are dead against it if they have been at this a while or indifferent if they are newer to the industry.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
User avatar
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:43 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:This kind of performance "window" or "radius" is nothing new, just new to the ECMA.

The reason I don't like seeing it with the ECMA is that their own website states that their mission is "to foster, develop, promote and celebrate East Coast music and its artists locally, regionally, nationally and internationally." Preventing musicians from playing a paying gig offsite to offset travel costs, while they're already paying annual membership fees, strikes me as counter to that intention of fostering and promoting East Coast artists regionally. And while I agree that romantic rhetoric has exaggerated the level of spontaneity, the ECMA weekend does feel like something of a city-wide kitchen party, and dampening that atmosphere would be a real loss.

I'm sure there's an excellent counter-argument to be made, in that the ECMA would like money from offsite/non-sanctioned concerts to filter back into the organization and thus be used to promote its members...but I, personally, feel as though that choice should be given to the performers, not mandated. The issue seems important enough to me that it should have been voted on by its membership, not its board of directors. Also, what's to stop bands who aren't ECMA members from coming into town and playing offsite concerts during Music Week? Yes, I know that happens anyway (and I'm pretty ok with that, it adds to the atmosphere), but at least as things stood, ECMA members were allowed to try and get a piece of that revenue.

Will enough people agree with me to the point that it tarnishes the goodwill of Music Week and jeopardizes its long-term sustainability? I doubt it. I sense a lot of grumbling right now, which will subside over time as people get used to the idea. But I don't know how long it will take for members to stop saying "these ECMA weekends used to be so much cooler," as they resentfully observe non-members taking advantage of the atmosphere and scoring primo gigs.
User avatar
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:05 am

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:57 am

The ECMAs are still paying top dollar to their showcase artists right? So don't worry about it, they probably pay for gas/food/lodging too. They did say they were "fostering."
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
User avatar
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:...the ECMA would like money from offsite/non-sanctioned concerts to filter back into the organization and thus be used to promote its members...but I, personally, feel as though that choice should be given to the performers, not mandated.
This is definitely a case of wanting "their cut". What's good for the ECMA, is good for the artists, is what the intent is. Obviously the "choice" of the artists has been hurting the event's well being and I would assume is the reason why it has come to this apparent change. People are probably already encouraged to perform at and patronize venues that are participants in the festival, financially or otherwise, but the lure of an easy gig on an open night is just too much for many.

Christian LeBlanc wrote:Also, what's to stop bands who aren't ECMA members from coming into town and playing offsite concerts during Music Week?
This move isn't about banning all live performance during the event. This is to avoid things happening like an "ECMA" artist getting paid to be in town to perform (travel, lodging & expenses possibly covered in some form or fashion) and them playing at a venue thereby drawing audience from having to pay to attend the event itself to hear/see said artist. I have seen this happen during festivals and although it seems innocent enough, it can greatly impact the fiscal health of these kinds of events. Even if an artist isn't compensated monetarily for their appearances, the ECMA is responsible for a large percentage of the promotion that causes these audiences to be available during these weeks, and I don't think it is out of the question for them to look for ways to recoup and reinvest.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
User avatar
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Even if an artist isn't compensated monetarily for their appearances, the ECMA is responsible for a large percentage of the promotion that causes these audiences to be available during these weeks, and I don't think it is out of the question for them to look for ways to recoup and reinvest.


Sounds like the old "We won't pay you, but think of the exposure." Except it's "We won't pay you, no one else can pay you, but think of the exposure."

Got it. :mrgreen:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
User avatar
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:Even if an artist isn't compensated monetarily for their appearances, the ECMA is responsible for a large percentage of the promotion that causes these audiences to be available during these weeks, and I don't think it is out of the question for them to look for ways to recoup and reinvest.


Sounds like the old "We won't pay you, but think of the exposure." Except it's "We won't pay you, no one else can pay you, but think of the exposure."
...and why are these artists attending ECMA week again?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
User avatar
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Mathieu Benoit wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:Even if an artist isn't compensated monetarily for their appearances, the ECMA is responsible for a large percentage of the promotion that causes these audiences to be available during these weeks, and I don't think it is out of the question for them to look for ways to recoup and reinvest.


Sounds like the old "We won't pay you, but think of the exposure." Except it's "We won't pay you, no one else can pay you, but think of the exposure."
...and why are these artists attending ECMA week again?


To give exposure to ECMA :D
User avatar
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:05 am

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:...and why are these artists attending ECMA week again?


What is a Circlejerk?

I'll take Canadian Music Industry for $400, Alex.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
User avatar
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:42 pm

I've been attending these ECMA weeks for about a decade and from my experience the showcase artists and award nominees are not paid a large sum for their performances, are not paid at all for travel, food, or accommodations, and I would hardly classify this event as a festival. The performances are almost always limited to twenty or thirty minute sets. Personally, I don't see why anyone who is not an ECMA member would even want to attend these events each year.

This is a conference. The ECMA spends money bringing in delegates and music buyers from all over the North America and Europe and then allows its members to meet and network with these people in order to help further their goals and careers. My friends and I always view these conferences as sorta family reunions: we get to catch up with old musical buddies and see how everyone's past year has been going. Plus, we get to attend, occasionally, some very interesting conferences and seminars (they've been getting real good the last few years with legitimately helpful advice 'cause I can remember when they were just absolutely awful) and we get to network and meet some fairly important connections within the music industry. To me, that what this thing is all about. It's never been viewed as a big money making venture (at least not short term), and to be honest none of the bands I've been in have ever even thought of it as a great way to make new fans. It's always been about networking within the industry. Or as you put it Matt: a big circlejerk! ha ha!
User avatar
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:29 am
Location: Norton

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Crimson Chameleon wrote:I've been attending these ECMA weeks for about a decade and from my experience the showcase artists and award nominees are not paid a large sum for their performances, are not paid at all for travel, food, or accommodations, and I would hardly classify this event as a festival. The performances are almost always limited to twenty or thirty minute sets. Personally, I don't see why anyone who is not an ECMA member would even want to attend these events each year.

This is a conference. The ECMA spends money bringing in delegates and music buyers from all over the North America and Europe and then allows its members to meet and network with these people in order to help further their goals and careers. My friends and I always view these conferences as sorta family reunions: we get to catch up with old musical buddies and see how everyone's past year has been going. Plus, we get to attend, occasionally, some very interesting conferences and seminars (they've been getting real good the last few years with legitimately helpful advice 'cause I can remember when they were just absolutely awful) and we get to network and meet some fairly important connections within the music industry. To me, that what this thing is all about. It's never been viewed as a big money making venture (at least not short term), and to be honest none of the bands I've been in have ever even thought of it as a great way to make new fans. It's always been about networking within the industry. Or as you put it Matt: a big circlejerk! ha ha!


I love being right more than I love ice cream sandwiches.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
User avatar
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Like "CC" touches on, IMO the problems arise when there is a misunderstanding with regards to what these events are actually about, and I've seen some good examples of when this goes horribly wrong.

People who are unhappy with this move to avoid unsanctioned performances by "members" of the association probably have an unrealistic expectation of what the event is centered on.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
User avatar
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:People who are unhappy with this move to avoid unsanctioned performances by "members" of the association probably have an unrealistic expectation of what the event is centered on.


Do you think that I have an unrealistic expectation of what the event is centered on?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
User avatar
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:People who are unhappy with this move to avoid unsanctioned performances by "members" of the association probably have an unrealistic expectation of what the event is centered on.


Do you think that I have an unrealistic expectation of what the event is centered on?
I don't know... Are you really unhappy?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
User avatar
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: ECMA demands exclusives from showcase artists

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Haha...

Well played old friend... Well played.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
User avatar
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick


Return to Music and Musicians

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron