Who are you? (who who) And what do you do?

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Who are you? (who who) And what do you do?

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:04 am

My name is Scott. People sometimes let me do monitors. I used to work at the Imperial Theatre in Saint John, NB, Canada.
I write songs and record them. If I ever performed these songs on stage, then I guess my stagename would be mr distant.
I am currently rehearsing with a band that is going to do covers of great songs. I am playing guitar and some singing.
My arm hurts from playing so much guitar. I have never played guitar in a band before this. It's fun.
I would like to thank my bandmates, Alex and Pierre, for their patience.
I used to play bass, but not anymore. With the abundance of star power which I possess, it would be a waste, a shame
and blasphemy for me to just be a bass player.
I use a Godin Solidec electric guitar. It was made in Quebec. Steve Stevens uses one. I also have a Sq___r Strat,
a Japanese Fender P-Bass and an SM57. I get my nice guitar tone with a V-amp Pro through a Traynor 25watt bass amplifier.
I have a super-girl-friend named Andrea. She's an artist. We live together with 2 cats named Pedro and Chico.
Last edited by Scott DeVarenne on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:47 am

My name is Malcolm. I get to "do sound" for lots of great live music around our little piece of ground. I also get to record music for artists like mr distant. I scoff at Scott for saying he doesn't play bass "anymore" because I know that if I offered him a good gig tomorrow, he'd be up practicing, because that's the kind of guy he really is.
I play and program drums and percussion, as well as enough keyboard to write and record, but not enough to entertain someone else for more than a minute. I would love to play more, but lately other things have kept that from happening.
I use a PC based, totally "in the box" type of recording setup. Sonar and Sound Forge, as well as a few Plugs. M-Audio and MOTU are my interfaces of choice.
My drums are Pearl, cymbals Zildjian, and my electronics and MIDI gear are Alesis, Roland, and M-Audio.
I have a super-wife named Karen. She's a teacher. We have two dogs named Brooke and Heidi.

I'm just so happy Scott started this thread, I had to respond before he scared everyone else away.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby roachie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:07 pm

My name is Sean, and I'm a real swell guy. I play the acoustic guitar for drunk people, and the electric guitar for drunk people. Sometimes I also do both for sober people, but not regularly. I'll sing too if it applies.
I have recorded with Malcolm, and I record myself on my pc using Sonar and Soundforge.
I am not good at sports, but I am good at sporting things ie. hair, Doc Martins, and a thumbs up.
I also "do sound" from time to time, but musicians piss me off so I try to be on the stage as opposed to in the booth. If you can't stand'em, be un-stand-able.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:27 pm

My name is Matt, I play with Sean. That is my sole purpose in life. I'm mostly in the business of letting drunks fall on my drums, as I don't play them very well (Sean can atest to both...)

I've been a freelance drummer in this area for years, I don't often do the "band" thing, I typically solve problems like, " Our drummer is sick and we need someone to fill in 2 hours before the show is about to start." I do a surprising number of fill-in gigs, which is fine with me. It's like one-night stands, all the fun of doing the gig, none of the commitment.

I've also been playing piano for nearly 20 years, that is a little known fact. The reason being is I don't like to play for others. It's something I like to do for myself mostly, but I will use it to compose for others.

I'm a member of Fluid Audio Group, along with u1176. I do preproduction/demo recordings for artists. I also do composition for TV and Film. I'm also trying to whore myself out as an assistant engineer, I make an excellent foot stool! So spread the word. I'd love to get work as a drum tech, for live or studio application...lol. Let me know if you know anyone that requires these services.

I also teach a VERY select few number of students in both piano and drums.

That's about it. Oh yeah... I'm french, does that help at all? :-)
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby oddioguy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:24 pm

My name is Oddioguy, but you can call me OG, Oddiodude, Oddio, or even "Hey you!"...just don't call me late for dinner. (insert groan here)

Some days I get up off my lazy ass. Other days I don't.

I'm not even sure how I ended up here...
I play guitar poorly.
I compose poorly.
I mix poorly.
I record poorly.

If you need something done poorly, I'm your man....yet somehow I have the reputation for doing all the above not-so-poorly.

People are stupid, I guess.
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby kevin shephard » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:20 pm

My name is Kevin. I play drums and work as a software developer at Aliant. Although (shhhhh), I'd rather be drumming for a living then writing if...then...else statements. I have been drumming for quite some time now, starting in high school when my parents bought me my first drum kit. I took some lessons from my friend and neighbour, Scott Collier (John's cousin) who taught me independence and how to listen to the songs and figure out what the drummer was doing. Between high school and now, Malcolm has been my biggest teacher, listening to hours upon hours of different things and opening my eyes to so much, playing along to all kinds of stuff, learning about time-signatures, shuffles, etc, etc, etc, and doing the mirror-image double drum thing, or "making noise" as we always called it.

I have played in a few bands over the years. The first band I was in that actually played out was NFA (Not From Athens, notfunnyanymore, Hospital Grade) with Jason Ogden, Ian Shonoman and Sean O'Halloran way back. Very cool shit. Malcolm recorded our demo in an old movie store in Quispamsis using, ummm...two tape decks, was it? Oh, how times have changed.

After NFA, I formed Gopher Soda with Wayne Dempsey, Ken Shore, Brian McRae, Matt "Lymie" Lydon (RIP Matt!!), Kim Shephard, and Lori Shore. We played out and about around town in the early nineties. It was fun.

Took a break from drums for a few years when I moved to Halifax and had my first child. My drum room turned into the nursery.

I am now playing in Big Easy (have been for about 5-6 years now). Great musicians, these guys are. And it is a blast to rock out with them.

I play Pearl Masters Studio drums and Zildjian cymbals. I want Malcolm's Quick-Beat hi-hats.

I have three beautiful children who are my life. Jonah is turning 10 this month (wow, I remember being impressed when I was a decade old) and is in grade 5, Mini-me, I mean, Josh, is 7 (8 in January - yes he was ALMOST a millennium baby - just 5 days off) and in grade 2, and my little darling Sydney is turning 5 this month and is in kindergarten - and yes, she has me wrapped around her dainty little fingers. I am actually finished Christmas shopping for them - which is unheard of for me (eh, Malcolm?).

I am going to shut up now. Anyone who knows me knows this is probably more words than I say in a year.

K
kevin shephard

Postby Nick » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:32 pm

My name is Nick, I am a high school student currently in grade 11. I play drums and am taught by Mathieu and Norm. I play in a band and teach an occasional drum lesson but am mostly working hard with my own practice...
Nick

Postby oddioguy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:43 pm

Welcome Nick.
I was going to say "n00b buys the next round", but well....ummm...you got a fake ID or somethin'?

:twisted:
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:21 pm

Hey Nick glad to see that you joined our righteous little group! This is definitely where the all cool people people hang. Malcolm that runs the forum can teach you all that crazy L.A. Shuffle stuff. It's good group of people. I'll let you try to figure out who everyone is on your own... ;-)
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby oddioguy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:23 am

Chrisakes...I'm surrounded by drummers. :twisted:
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Jef » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:01 pm

oddioguy wrote:Chrisakes...I'm surrounded by drummers. :twisted:

I get that feeling too.... don't worry, I got yer back! 8-)
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:10 pm

I'll kick your ass! Remember I have a black belt in Pilates!!!! :lol:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby oddioguy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:19 pm

Jef wrote:
oddioguy wrote:Chrisakes...I'm surrounded by drummers. :twisted:

I get that feeling too.... don't worry, I got yer back! 8-)

I knew you would...
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:22 pm

Mathieu wrote:I'll kick your ass! Remember I have a black belt in Pilates!!!! :lol:

Pontious Pilates? Is that you? :twisted:
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:45 pm

Yes, reincarnated.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby adam » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:29 am

Oh hi. My name is Adam. I do not like to post very much (I come from that other forum where I do like to post very much) but I do like to lurk. I am posting here because it is late and I am not especially tired.

I play guitar and bass in many bands. Hospital Grade, Penny Blacks, the recently defunct Carousels, and the not recently defunct Next to Red are the ones that I actually practice or practiced with. I also play with Porkchop Sandwiches, Halo, and sometimes back Clinton Charlton for his solo shows. Those are 'fake it till you make it' situations. I still have not made it.

I take gear very seriously. This is because I have trouble building personal relationships. But I digress, I have excellent tone. I have a handful (if your hands can fit 2) of Fender Teles and an old Pan Mosrite copy that go into many pedals and then into an old (67-68) Traynor tube (7027) PA head (YVM1) and a Marshall Jubilee 212 and will soon also hang out in a Garnet Sessionman combo. I also have a Fender P-Bass and a Musicman Sterling that are good friends with my Mesa Boogie Bass 400+. I also have some keyboards and some drums and things. I sound too much like I am bragging though so I will shut up.

I am endlessly interested in reading about recording and what have you but am completely bereft of patience, so it will never be something I will do myself. I do have some real nice microphones however.

Hi everybody. Most of you are nice. One of you isn't so much.
adam

Postby thebunk » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi, my name is Jamie. I used to work for JD Irving and now work for Irving Oil. Please do not hold this against me. If you do, well, you can fuck off.

Like Adam, I came from the other place. While I can barely play guitar, I have not even attempted to really play much in the last year or so and I am cool with that. I have accepted the fact that I get greater joy out of listening to music rather then attempting to play it. Lately, I have been really into collecting vinyl and building a music room in my basement.

I know Scott\Mr. Distant from that other forum. We do not like each other.
thebunk

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Yay! New people to talk to! Welcome! I realize that Jamie has in fact been here longer than me, but I'd like to say "welcome" in any event.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby oddioguy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:43 pm

I'll allow a donnybrook here as long as when the dust settles you all shake hands and buy me a round of drinks.
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:58 pm

theBunk
Although we have disagreed on things, I have a favorable opinion of you.
This may come as a surprise to you. Deal with it.
Scott
p.s.- I am sorry that I once said you had a big and fat head because you were
talking trash about headphones.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby clinton » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:47 am

My name is Clinton Charlton and I'm a perpetually out of shape middle aged man with a quickly receeding (sp?) hairline. I play drums, guitar and some pianny (albeit none as well as I'd like). I write songs and sometimes sing them for anywhere between 2-8 people at a time. I don't know a whole lot about recording but do love to talk about it and try and pick up pointers and cool words to use with my friends. I have a little girl who is 12 and does not like to hear me play music. I know who most of you are and have a somewhat public love for most of you. I'm a fan of local music and soemtimes regret alot of the things I say (please forgive me in advance). I have been working at music for about ten years and just feel now like I'm starting to understand why I play it....go figure.

Glad to be here....

-clinton
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby oddioguy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:55 am

Welcome Clinton!

*cough cough*

Ahem.....sorry...a little dry over here...

oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby clinton » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:57 am

spanks man...
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby sammyp » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:50 am

Sam Patterson.....i play guitar and sing in Sidekick, i use Sonar, Pro Tools and sound forge in my studio, live alone with my shepard/lab in musquash subdivision......being free from the constraints of a wife and kiddies my pad can be a virtual studio/band house/rehearsal space complete with a fabulous in house micro brewery!

Love guitar pedals, overdrivers, comp etc, teles and recently les pauls, small el84 powered amps.
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby Alain Benoit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:04 am

sammyp wrote: ................complete with a fabulous in house micro brewery!

Woot.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Next

Return to Music and Musicians