Postby oddioguy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:13 am

I'm not getting one.
That help?

:twisted:
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:26 am

I wasn't aware that there was such an award... Is that for real?
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby roachie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:24 pm

wow... strange.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:48 pm

I noticed pictures of it on facebook. Must be for real... Why wasn't I invited...?
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:17 pm

Good... I'm glad I'm not the only one who knew nothing about this.

Apparently it was something at the watering hole "Bow Ties" in Westmorland Place. I don't poo poo the idea, but I didn't hear the slightest thing about this until it was happening on Sunday and I was trying to get parked near the place and was wondering what was going on.

It sounds like it might have been the local bar band music awards...

I was actually hoping everyone knew but me.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:15 am

Yeah I remember hearing about it a couple of years ago. I think it pretty much is the local bar band awards. You know best version of Brown Eyed Girl, Longest Outro to Free Bird etc.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:21 am

hahaha... That's why Zaat was there. He's got a pretty good version of Brown Eyed Girl y'know.
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby roachie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Hey, I can "Sweet Caroline" the hell out of this town, I even had a speech prepared! No phone call.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:42 am

Neither did I. I must have to work harder. I'm probably not good enough, or maybe it's because I'm french. We're a very misunderstood people y'know Roachie... but we have feelings too.

I was speaking with Zaat on Saturday and he told me all about the great fun that was had. I felt really bad that no one called me...*sniff*

I mean who the hell do you have to sleep with in this town to at least be invited to the ceremony? I thought I'd done everyone... 8-)
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Mathieu wrote:I thought I'd done everyone... 8-)
You haven't met everyone...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby roachie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:27 pm

You don't have to sleep with anyone, but the odd reach-around might get the resume to the top of the pile... and yeah, it's because you're french... try to be born in the right circle next time Jacques.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:11 pm

Shit, I knew it was a minority discrimination issue. I'm going to have a chat with my lawyer, and we'll see about this! :-P
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby kevin shephard » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:46 pm

Hey dudes....

If it's any consolation, Big Easy was actually nominated and we didn't get an invite. I think I was actually at your place Malcolm the night of the awards thing at Bow-Ties. Didn't have any idea when it was.
kevin shephard

Trinity, I'm in!

Postby zaat » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:28 pm

Well since I seem to end up somehow involved with some of these topics it's time I weighed in!
Hi everyone. The Saint John Music Awards is the brainchild of George Buchanan who plays guitar in the band Party Line. It's really a celebration of community more than a competition. I enjoyed Andrew's remarks about the longest outro to freebird and in a way he's right. Unlike the ECMAs and others that rightfully celebrates original music these awards acknowledge the journeymen working the weekend circuit. Speaking from a retailers perspective this segment is a big part of our bread and butter.

The awards event had a great feel with recognition of the local legends and performances by a lot of the local acts. There are many who aren't yet involved and I encourage them to do so. Being a relatively new import Halifax could never pull this off which speaks volumes for the SJ music community.

No doubt the awards are in their infancy, (no web site) but my take is if you feel like you're on the outside looking in it would take very little effort to be involved and they can use all the help they can get.

Steve Zaat
zaat

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:02 am

Let me knwo the next time they happen and I'll lend any help that's needed.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby sammyp » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:45 am

it's all in good fun near as i can tell, a chance for SJ to honor some of our older musicians who have been in the trenches for years! Bowties is really too small a venue as far as i'm concerned, i made it this year and it was pretty sardine-ish in there.

In all fairness there should be a few awards involving local studios and recoring engineers - recordings/sound guys, i don't remember any of that stuff being mentioned this year but i wasn't there for the whole event. It's been more about male/female vox of the year, drummer of the year, hall of fame inductees etc, etc.....

I'm sure word will get around and the event will become more inclusive each year....all for fun really! I think the only way my name pops up is cause Maureen personally noimiates all her band members each year LOL.
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:24 pm

Remember, the ECMAs started out in a bar...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Music and Musicians