Steve Zaat Album

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Steve Zaat Album

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:02 pm

Just got a copy of the new Steve Zaat album "Jumpstart To Eternity". Kudos to Zaatman and Andrew on a fab job. Possibly the most accessible recording I've heard from a local artist, definitely one of them.

After I have a chance to absorb it, I'll probably have more to say.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:24 pm

My first album performance ever. It was a good experience, and my first encounter with MacRae. I can still listen to the drum tracks and be happy. That says a lot since I thought I'd do a lot more criticizing of myself. Sure there's always stuff that you can have done in hind sight, but to hell with hindsight.

My favorite performance though, of myself, is "Not Followed By Night" followed by "Heroes for Gold" because to play 6/8 that slow and tight and super loud was hard for me, but it translated well to tape.

I hope people support Steve in his efforts.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Mathieu wrote:My first album performance ever.
You must have recorded a lot of demos, etc. prior to that though?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:31 pm

Thanks Malcolm, appreciate the nod. Steve is getting some really good press about the album, and is doing a good job promoting it and getting it out the door. I still haven't had a chance to actually sit down and listen to it top to bottom since it came back from duplication.

It was a fun project to work on, and a long time coming. Over a year and a half from concept to completion.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:45 pm

Actually Malcolm, no. People may be surprised to hear this but when it comes to preproduction demos I prefer programing drums. I don't really like playing drums that much, especially when I don't want to get off my lazy ass to set up mics...

I've been a live drummer exclusively until then. But I have recorded on a few things since. I think for me it's a confidence thing, I'm more self conscious about my playing than even the people closest to me would realize...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby kevin shephard » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:57 pm

Malcolm is right! Kudos to all involved in the CD. Great job!

Matt - loved your performance. You show some great studio chops for not having recorded (hell, you show great studio chops even if you had been for years!). Very tasty stuff. You played so well for the music...something that tends to go to the wayside way too much around here in lieu of trying to impress everyone with how many 32nd notes one can play. Again...great job!!

K
kevin shephard

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:38 pm

kevin shephard wrote:Matt - loved your performance. You show some great studio chops for not having recorded ........
Shhhhhhhhhhh.... I wasn't going to say anything, in fear of it going to his head. ;-)
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:29 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
kevin shephard wrote:Matt - loved your performance. You show some great studio chops for not having recorded ........
Shhhhhhhhhhh.... I wasn't going to say anything, in fear of it going to his head. ;-)

Too late... 8-)

Seriously though, thanks man! It means a lot to me that people who's opinions I respect appreciate where I'm coming from when I play. I just want to play the "right" thing. If I do my job well it makes the artist's music more enjoyable to the listener, that's the goal. Kevin, that's is what I've always loved best about your playing. You play the groove for the music. Your meter is amazing and you play what is best for the overall experience of the song being presented.

That's all I ever hope to do. In the end this album was about Steve's expression of self. I just followed his lead. We all did. He's happy, thus I'm happy.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:29 am

kevin shephard wrote:Malcolm is right! Kudos to all involved in the CD. Great job!

Matt - loved your performance. You show some great studio chops for not having recorded (hell, you show great studio chops even if you had been for years!). Very tasty stuff. You played so well for the music...something that tends to go to the wayside way too much around here in lieu of trying to impress everyone with how many 32nd notes one can play. Again...great job!!

K

Coming from you Kevin that means alot. You are one of my favourite local players when it comes to playing for the music, speaking with your instrument and the s p a c e between the notes. Especially liked what you were doing for Creamer's stuff.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby kevin shephard » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:01 am

Mathieu wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:

Too late... 8-)

Seriously though, thanks man! It means a lot to me that people who's opinions I respect appreciate where I'm coming from when I play. I just want to play the "right" thing. If I do my job well it makes the artist's music more enjoyable to the listener, that's the goal. Kevin, that's is what I've always loved best about your playing. You play the groove for the music. Your meter is amazing and you play what is best for the overall experience of the song being presented.

That's all I ever hope to do. In the end this album was about Steve's expression of self. I just followed his lead. We all did. He's happy, thus I'm happy.

That is the perfect attitude Matt. In my humble opinion, that is exactly what our job is.
kevin shephard

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:08 pm

kevin shephard wrote:That is the perfect attitude Matt. In my humble opinion, that is exactly what our job is.

...and that's why we'll continue to get along so well! You still rock pretty hard though. 8-)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby kevin shephard » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:19 pm

U1176 wrote:
kevin shephard wrote:Malcolm is right! Kudos to all involved in the CD. Great job!

K

Coming from you Kevin that means alot. You are one of my favourite local players when it comes to playing for the music, speaking with your instrument and the s p a c e between the notes. Especially liked what you were doing for Creamer's stuff.

Thanks Al! That means so much coming from you! As far as the Creamer thing goes, that is a perfect example of a CD that I wish I could go back and recut everything. But I am rarely happy with anything I played on. But, that being said, sometimes you just have to learn to let it go....
kevin shephard

Postby kevin shephard » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Mathieu wrote:
kevin shephard wrote:That is the perfect attitude Matt. In my humble opinion, that is exactly what our job is.

...and that's why we'll continue to get along so well! You still rock pretty hard though. 8-)

Thanks Matt. I just need to rock more often. Can't get enough rockin! :)
kevin shephard

Re: Steve Zaat Album

Postby sammyp » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:36 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Just got a copy of the new Steve Zaat album "Jumpstart To Eternity". Kudos to Zaatman and Andrew on a fab job. Possibly the most accessible recording I've heard from a local artist, definitely one of them.

After I have a chance to absorb it, I'll probably have more to say.

i agree! Great job to all those involved!
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby warrbeat » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:56 am

I definitely have to agree with everyone on this Matt. Your playing on the entire album speaks volumes of the various styles you are able to handle. As you know I'm lucky enough to play your tunes with Steve but what you might not know is that I'm striving to get as close to album's feel more than just trying to cover the playing. Low Water Mark is my favorite of your playing though. It really shows a vast style change, very dark and emotional, then is grooves out at the end... nice job!

Heros is a very cool tune as well. You're right about the tempo of that tune. It took a bit of work to nail it.

Then there's the Bastard! My love's for real.... great song great drumming... the over all feel of this song is terrific.

All in all a very good job by all... I'm really looking forward to the CD release party. See you there!
warrbeat

Postby Alain Benoit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:17 am

Wait I gotta get out my skillsaw to widen the studio door, I think Matt is on his way. :lol:
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:28 am

Jesus... Al, I wished you were serious. I had to drop the drums off at the studio after I read this and my head couldn't even fit in the door. I had to pay some guy off the street $10 to drag my drums up stairs for me. What a night.

Seriously Warren, thank you. I had no idea, people felt this way. You do a great job of the songs, the few times I've heard you playing them. You're a really good drummer man. There are a whack of really talented drummers in town. I was just little when I used to watch all you cats play. You've all inspired me a lot.

But don't worry, I have two brothers that will always be there to tell me what I fucked up, so it should balance out the ego... :-P

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:14 am

You shouldnt be surprised though that period was the peek of your playing if you remember.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:24 am

I have another peak coming up though, I just got to get the hell out of where I'm at. That being said, 42 days to go........ Then Norm and I are getting back to work.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:27 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:I have another peak coming up though, ... Then Norm and I are getting back to work.

This gets me excited.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:37 pm

I'm just salivating at the chance to get back to the woodshed! :-D

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:22 pm

Steve Zaat had an interview on CBC in Charlottetown this afternoon about the album. If anyone would like to hear it I'll see if I can post a clip.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:23 pm

please do! I missed it because I was at work.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:02 pm

I'll see if I can get it uploaded tomorrow at work.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:46 am

Is it something I can find myself off the CBC website?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Next

Return to Music and Musicians