The drum clinic Friday...

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

The drum clinic Friday...

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:50 am

Dave's playing has evolved greatly since I last saw him play in person, probably 10 years ago now. He is a far more "musical" player than I remember. His command of technique comes as expected, and he is also a lot more comfortable speaking on stage.

I especially enjoyed his explanation of how he used his opportunity of the gig with Nelly Furtado as a great learning experience. His explanations of how he approached her tracks was interesting as well as entertaining.

Some of his better, and most entertaining playing for me was his "latin based" improvised bit mid way in the clinic.

I know I say this a lot after clinics, but I would like to have heard more talking and less playing. Some inevitably disagree with me, but if I just want to hear someone play, I'll buy a DVD of them live. Sound check happening just prior to 7PM, after kicking everyone out of the auditorium into the hall was a little uncomfortable. As well, the pacing seemed awkward at times. I really like a broad Q&A at the end of a clinic, but this didn't happen. I was prepared to dig in about some things at that point, but oh well. About mid way, we were asked if there were any questions "at that point" and a couple of people stepped up, but I would bet a lot of folks were waiting until after the presentation was done. Unfortunately it never came.

Nice to see Jim and all the staff from Atlantica, coming there with Norm and his family to show their unending support for the event... :roll: I hope the gang from Musicstop were as happy with the day, as the folks that were in attendance.

Sorry you missed it Matt...
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:33 am

Kicking everyone out of the auditorium for a last minute soundcheck is abominable not to mention akward and uncomfortable. I was told by someone to be there by 6:30 for some reason, glad I wasnt. The next clinic people will likely show up at 7:05 to avoid all this.

It really drove me nuts that not a soul thought of setting up a microphone for the CLINICIAN at this CLINIC.

Running three tangled mic cables down the main isle of the auditorium un-gaffed is a surefire way to get slapped with a lawsuit after the clinician's aunt goes running to the stage for the main prize. Walter would have not been impressed.

Thumbs up to Tim Davidson, by the second or third song he had the drum sounds and mix dialed in to perfection or at least at a point where I would not have wanted to change anything at least from where I was sitting. Even the balance between stage level and reinforced level was great and the ratio of drums to track was good. Alot of folks get the later wrong at many clinics.

I agree with most of Malcolm's points. Dave's playing has certainly inproved since I last saw him play in person when we went to the Conservatory together in 1990! And believe me he was kicking ass then.

My favourite performance was definitely the last fusion track he palyed. Although I was secretely hoping for a RUSH track. He still seemed a little uncomfortable on stage especially speaking to the crowd, but as he is a true proffessional, he has realized this a s a weakness to improve on and has obviously made strides towards remedying this. Again back at the conservatory he was one of the least social, especially in a group setting.
His shyness NEVER extended to his performing though, he had no problems showing off in that department and we ate it all up, it was great watching him.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Return to Music and Musicians