Record labels of the 'Motown' type...?

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Record labels of the 'Motown' type...?

Postby weatherstation audio » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:08 pm

Does something like this exist in Canada ?
Would it work, be sustainable ?

what I'm talking about is... a infrastructure/label that is somewhat turn key for a upcoming talented singer(s) and performer(s)... who may not have the capacity to write original material or record it properly for a wide market... in the Motown days, newly signed performers walked into the arena of tried, true and tested team of musicians/producers/songwriters/studios/marketing team etc...
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Re: Record labels of the 'Motown' type...?

Postby oddioguy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:40 pm

weatherstation audio wrote:Does something like this exist in Canada ?
Would it work, be sustainable ?

what I'm talking about is... a infrastructure/label that is somewhat turn key for a upcoming talented singer(s) and performer(s)... who may not have the capacity to write original material or record it properly for a wide market... in the Motown days, newly signed performers walked into the arena of tried, true and tested team of musicians/producers/songwriters/studios/marketing team etc...

I think you are referring to "Canadian Idol". I guess it's not sustainable though...
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Re: Record labels of the 'Motown' type...?

Postby weatherstation audio » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Yes, I can possibly see some parallels in this comparison... but Canadian Idol is a reality television show, essentially... contestants are not managed into a successful career by the show itself... seems more like a launch pad of sorts for the winners of the show.

I'm talkin' record labels a la 'Motown' of the 60's and 70's era... the type of place you walk into and have a system in place already... musicians/producers/songwriters/studios/marketing team etc...
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:57 pm

Part of the whole "Idol" thing is amateur. The performers have to not be pro, or have pro experience per say.

Motown was certainly not amateur. They were certainly involved in refining and packaging, but the talent and experience was there for a lot of those artists already.

There are all kinds of production teams that are involved in these type of deals. Certainly nothing has met the Motown model again... ever.

All the pre fab stuff from the states, is a take on the Motown concept. "Boy Bands" for the most part are a good example... Or should I say bad example?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby oddioguy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:44 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Part of the whole "Idol" thing is amateur. The performers have to not be pro, or have pro experience per say.

What about Rob James?

....anyway, although I was just kidding around, there are certainly parallels. I would believe that the "behind the scenes" people involved with the show are directly involved with channeling the top talent into management and recording contracts (Can you say "sheep to the slaughter?"...I know you can.) If this show is not a direct portal to the "channel", I'll eat my shorts.
Alot of the contestants perform in that Motown vein as well.....comes straight from the karaoke bars I guess.

With that, I will now officially stop flogging this particular dead horse. :mrgreen:
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby weatherstation audio » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:11 pm

As I ponder this thing a little more,
America Idol vs Motown...

American Idol cuts to the chase... forget the refining process... let's just drop the artist in the middle of the ocean in a little row boat and see how they make out... or let's watch the high dive act go bad... makes for good TV, I guess.

Motown... in the standards of those early years, was maticulous with how an artist presented themselves with the Motown branding behind it... seems like, building tall ships in bottles was more their speed or style.
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:57 pm

I'm sure we agree that Motown did something that most record companies aspire to. It's funny how production teams try to recreate "it".

What has changed over the years is the "paying your dues" stage of development. There is a weird expectation of overnight success, that has reduced people's drive to work at their craft.

One of my favourite local examples is Jessica Rhaye. The folks she was originally hooked up with, band, etc., were putting out the vibe that it was a sure thing, record deal, big money, no problem. What they should have been telling her was how much hard work and time she was going to have to put in to make a go of it. I'm happy she has stuck it out, because I think she is a talented lady, and deserves a chance.

Most of the "overnight success" stories really weren't. Common misconception. A lot of artists spend years developing their craft, and their fan base, before making it big. If J-Rhaye ended up with a substantial hit on her hands in the next few years, people would talk about the overnight success, but everyone around here would say, no way.

Conversely, had anyone seen and heard of this newest local Canadian Idol wannabe before he was on TV? Probably not too many...

See the difference?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:44 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I'm sure we agree that Motown did something that most record companies aspire to. It's funny how production teams try to recreate "it".

That's what I mean... does anybody know of any fair comparisons that exist today... and I'm not talking about boy bands or other Gong Show inspired re-creations.
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Return to Music and Musicians