NB Songwriter's Tour

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

NB Songwriter's Tour

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:45 am

http://www.imperialtheatre.nb.ca/site/index.php?id=208

Mixed monitors for this last night at Imperial Theatre. Decent songwriter's "line"... Attendance was not great, but those who were there enjoyed themselves. I wonder why folks weren't at this thing in greater numbers.

I do notice that these type of shows at "the theatre" often don't get the push from the local "indie" crowd as much as someone playing at a bar does, and it makes me wonder... It's one of the great questions about the music "scene" in this town.

The Tour continues Friday in Fredericton, and Saturday in Moncton.

Dan C. has some pics up on his website.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby clinton » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am

what's it make you wonder?
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm not privy to exact numbers and specifics, but paid attendance was probably under 100 to this show.

At least Chris Colepaugh and Jessica Rhaye are supposed to be somewhat established artists in some sense.

I have consistently seen this over the years where a local bar gig with similar type artists will be attended better than a show at the theatre. Makes you wonder whether they're there for the music, or the booze...

... and Imperial has a bar anyway...

I could be wrong, but I thought when I looked, the local "music" site G-Bike had no mention of this show on it's events listing, but had many "bar" dates in the schedule for this week.

Like I said, it makes me wonder where the support is pointed, and why.

Clinton, you would fit in on a stage like that in a songwriter's line. You would enjoy yourself, and would be enjoyed. Perhaps next time around.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby clinton » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 am

I know what ya mean for sure...how much was it? I would assume that was the deciding factor. Plus, I consider myself pretty "in the know" for independant music and I haven't heard of most of those people....might hav something to do with it.
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:35 pm

Hey Blake... Did you mix this thing in Fredtown? What were numbers like there?

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Blake » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:12 am

ya we hat that in on Friday they had only sold 30 tickets so set up a stage on the stage and seating and did the whole thing on stage. it was a great show a shame more people didn't come out for it. on another note it was great fun to use the D1 in a different set up. there is not much that desk cant do i used it to do my system processing and mixing.
Blake

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:00 pm

If we had done that "on deck" setup it would've been awesome, but in the main room it's pretty bleak.

It was a decent songwriter's line, which of course is a trick in itself.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby roachie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:36 pm

When I heard about that show, my first question was if it was gonna be an "on deck" thing... would've been effective...
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Chuck Teed » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:23 am

The reason an event like the NB Songwriter's tour doesn't end up in the GC listings is usually because the information isn't sent to one of the admins. I've personally outreached to promoters, and other admins set up a "how to" in the forum, but there are still a lot of people who don't send in their information.

I can't speak for the other admins, but I don't have time to fish through event calendars on behalf of every band and venue that puts on a show. If something catches me eye - the April Wine show, for example - or something is sent to me at info@bbqrecords.net, I'll put it in. Otherwise, it's out of site, out of mind.
Chuck Teed

Postby oddioguy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:43 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Makes you wonder whether they're there for the music, or the booze...

Really? :twisted:
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Blake » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:39 am

hear is a pic of the set up in freddy
Blake

Return to Music and Musicians