Coverbands

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 09, 2008 10:18 am

A beer it is then! But Budweiser? Urgh... I'm opposed to that beer for having substandard taste. Can we argue this? ;-)

I'm kidding, I'm kidding! It'd be like arguing religion...lol
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Fri May 09, 2008 11:09 am

sorry Jef, I didn't mean you....

But as aside: I am a big ice cream fan and am open to having an ice cream with all of you....at once. OMG, Middle Audio Pumpkin Patch trip....this is happening!!!!
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 09, 2008 11:16 am

Mmm.. I'll pick you guys up on my ten speed. :-P
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Fri May 09, 2008 11:21 am

I'm getting bublegum.....oh, oh and a waffle cone!!
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby roachie » Fri May 09, 2008 1:42 pm

How do you make Roachie float? 2 scoops of icecream, 12 alpine bottles, and rrrrRRROACHIE! See ya at the pub.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri May 09, 2008 1:42 pm

clinton wrote:I think you just like to argue brother....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3HaRFBSq9k
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby clinton » Fri May 09, 2008 2:06 pm

hahaha...I DO love Monty Python.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:02 pm

Clinton... I miss you! Where did you go? :cry:

Do I have to start up some controversy around so that you'll come back and debate the issues? Because I will if I have to... :-P

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby roachie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:40 pm

go for it... it's fun.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:36 pm

roachie wrote:go for it... it's fun.

Hmmm.. Any ideas on a good topic to get things stirring?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:42 pm

I've been meaning to share this for a while. I hope I'm not breaking any copyright rules.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:49 pm

So, hypothetically if I were to play drums for Peter Gabriel's next tour, I'd be covering his tunes? As would anyone on stage except for Mr. Gabriel? Then were do you draw the line, and the biggest question... What the fuck does it even matter? Play original material or covers, just play well and screw the rest.

A lot of really good points here... Thanks for this article!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Great article...

Drumwaiter wrote:...just play well and screw the rest.

Amen.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby kevin shephard » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Beautifully stated...
kevin shephard

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:20 pm

kevin shephard wrote:

Beautifully stated...

Who said that? -Oh wait... I should probably take my own advise.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby warrbeat » Fri May 22, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm so confused... firstly some of the finest musicians in the world play in symphony orchestras yet play a piece written 200 years ago note for note and are admired around the world yet guys who beat out All along the watch tower with their own persnal twist injected into it in a bar for beer and a few bucks are not musicians and some say not musical?

So what these self righteous starving musicians who feel it's ok to have crappy skills, gear, marketing and training in the art of engaging less than their 30 university buddies in someone's parents basement or at the local pub for the door seem to think about my history as a drummer is this:

-I've played in an original band or two so I'm a versed and creative musician

-I've played in a band who played covers and slipped in our own originals so I'm financially feeding my love for originals by demeaning myself because we could get the dance floor filled and keep them there

-I've played in a band who's set was original music that was created before my arrival therefore I have no creativity and am tantamount to cover band slug... yet the band is playing originals (interesting twist eh?)

-I've played in a touring band doing covers and originals being pushed where ever the agent shoved and behaving exactly the way we were supposed to such as every other puppet on a string but then again we played some originals (another interesting twist)

-I've played in a cover band playing tunes people haven't heard played either before or in a very long time incluing tunes we have twisted around...but I'm a sell out

-Finally, I've played bands where the creativity comes out from the people on stage as they enjoy playing their instruments together under the guise of covers (in most cases for the first time together live) for people who obviously have no sense of how musically depraived they are being when we start to play.

Man oh man... I sure wish I could be a musician someday.

By the way, I have not yet been in the situation where I can find a group of musicians who would like to write in the style of music I would really like. If what they say is true, I will never be a musician... I definitely don't enjoy and I mean this in absolutely no slight to anyone here in this cover band polluted city and I'm pretty safe in saying this, the music of a vast majority of Musicians here in this city. For the most part I do appreiate the fact that they are doing it. As someone said on that incestuous piece of crap site Giraffe Cycle .... At least I'm still playing....
What do you mean "White men can't groove"?
warrbeat

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Vent much? lol

This is a blast from the past. I forgot all about this thread. Shall we revive it? I was certain that we beat it to death last time but there might be new angles yet.

Anyways, did someone upset you warrbeat? You usually just go about doing your own thing content to do so. What brings about this sudden interest in what others think? I'm not judging you, I'm simply curious if something happened that I don't know about.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri May 22, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm glad you could get that out Warren. Dealing with many of those types of people often goes something like this:>>>, and isn't usually worth the effort. Most of them have their heads so far up their own arse... well I'll let you insert the colourful metaphor.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby roachie » Fri May 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Playing covers is fun... playing original tunes is fun... If you love to do something, nobody can debunk that... screw'em, get off yo ass and jam, God'damn.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby warrbeat » Fri May 22, 2009 10:42 pm

I just happened to stumble over this and then linked over to Giraffe Cycle to be completely incensed by the ramblings of a few "artists"...
Nothing sets me off more than self righteous personalities with their heads so stuck up their own asses they can't see what's actually happening around them.

I play covers because they are fun to play providing I am playing the kinds of covers I would deem fun to play. It takes more skill and dare I say Musicianship to play a wide range of styles throughout the night instead of the 1 style of music these writers have managed to pull out of their asses. Remeber that nothing is original... what ever style you may have have been heard "somewhere" before whether it be a song on the radio or the squeak and grind of your gramma's rocking chair... the key to success as an Original ARtist is to collect all of the sounds and combine them is such a way as to make it stand out... perfect examples are any one of the 5 song medleys the Cougars band jam out... Steve Zaat's swing version of jump, any good quality Hip Hop (except for the new Africa rip yuck)

I have been blessed with the chance to play with a lot of the best dare I say "Musicians" in the city at one time or another playing covers and original material... we constantly have moments during jams that would baffle most of the pure Artists in the city musically... that is to say technically which I hear isn't that important now a days...

As for why Cover bands get paid better than original bands... because the general public wants to be entertained by something they know, if they don't know it, they won't stay, if they don't stay, the bar doesn't sell drinks and there is no money to PAY the band...
Let's face it kids... if it ain't fun to play "they" call it Corporate and you get paid absurd amounts of money to keep a smile on your face at midnight when you are playing to 15 out of towners and the entertainment committee...
What do you mean "White men can't groove"?
warrbeat

Previous

Return to Music and Musicians