Salty Jam... The Next Day...

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Salty Jam... The Next Day...

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:03 pm

Anyone take in some shows? Comments?

If turnout at all the venues was like that at Water Street, it was a huge hit.

Ironic that in the first year of not being a Jazz & Blues fest, Sat. night was one of the most Blues and Jazz heavy nights in the big tent in years.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Blake » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:13 pm

ya I had a great time. the heat was the only thing i could complain about
Blake

Postby weatherstation audio » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:12 pm

Blake wrote:ya I had a great time. the heat was the only thing i could complain about

You meant the PIGs, right ?
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:48 pm

weatherstation audio wrote:
Blake wrote:ya I had a great time. the heat was the only thing i could complain about

You meant the PIGs, right ?
No... It was just bloody hot where we were.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:44 pm

So, no comments on the music or the event in general?

This is the first year, where I can say I liked everything I saw in the big tent. I knew I would love Colin James. The best surprise for me was Roxanne Potvin. Outstanding and entertaining. She even got up and jammed with Colin James during his set. Tons of fun.

I really enjoyed walking around during break and hearing live music coming from different places uptown. That, to me, is a festival... not just a show at the end of the day.

I hope they continue in this mode next year.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Goz's Car Troubles

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:15 pm

I have the postings, and have given Weatherstation his own car trouble thread HERE. It just seemed like the right thing to do. :-)
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby tonedeaf » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:14 pm

I went to Joel Plaskett/GTB/Chucky Danger on Friday. I thought it was a great festival. Joel's voice was a bit shot, but a great show regardless.

This was the first time I'd heard GTB since their big "sound change". Can't say they sound that much different from when I saw them years ago. A bit more streamlined maybe, but still a bit too "jammy" for my tastes.

I walked by the water street tent on Friday night and it looked hopping.

My spouse is more of a coffee house/acoustic fan, so we checked out the songwriters circle on Sat. afternoon. A decent lineup there as well.

Here's hoping Salty Jam V. 2 is a hit as well.
tonedeaf

Postby collide » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:30 pm

i'm late, but i have 2 things for you:

1. first, thank you to everyone who came out to watch us perform outside of the city market last saturday! it was a great time. for those of you wondering what the police wanted with us shortly before our last few tunes:

the police car drove down the alley,pulled up next to us and motioned jon to come over. i said "we have to stop now because jon's being arrested", and we took a break long enough for the officer to tell us we sounded good, but that we should turn it down a bit. we said "sure, we've
only got a couple of songs left anyway.", so he said "oh, don't worry
about it then. carry on."
then when we finished up, a woman who runs the city market said
she liked our music, but that she was getting a lot of phone calls
about the noise. "a doctor next door can't hear her patient's heart!"

best thing ever said about a curbside performance!

article in next post......
So, we need air to live, but we can't hold it in?... We're screwed.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAlleyRehearsals?fref=ts (Jamspace and Recording)
http://www.curbside.bandcamp.com (2 free albums)
http://www.myspace.com/stevefudge (acoustic)
collide
Bronze Member

Postby collide » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:32 pm

this is also very late, but i just got my hands on it:

Fans go for festival's Salty taste; Salty Jam draws more than 5,000 fans
New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal
Monday, July 17, 2006
Page: B5
Section: News

It appears that Saint Johners like their jam salty.

That certainly seemed to be the case over the weekend as the city's inaugural Salty Jam festival wrapped up three days of music on the uptown's streets and stages.

While the festival isn't new, it's got a new face, which caught on immediately with fans young and not-so-young who came out to party with musicians like Colin James, the Joel Plaskett Emergency, and Hot Toddy with Isaac and Blewett. The old Saint John Jazz and Blues Festival had long since veered away from its roots and organizers decided to deep six that name and start with something fresh.

"All weekend, it had such a great energy," Shelley Poirier, the event's chairwoman, said Sunday. "We got a lot of outstanding feedback."

The festival, she said, met organizers' expectations of drawing more than 5, 000 people to the event, which wrapped in the wee hours Sunday morning.

The idea is to expand the event, attracting more people every year.

It seemed to hit home with a lot of people who might have stayed away from a jazz and blues event, even one that had long since stopped offering much of anything of that ilk.

Former Fredericton resident Michelle Paul-Elias was hanging out at the Canterbury Street tent taking in a tantalizingly quirky lineup of weirdo klezmer accordionist Geoff Berner and space blues folkies Hot Toddy and Isaac and Blewett.

"What I like about it is that it's different than the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival in Fredericton, Paul-Elias said.

She's one of the twenty-somethings who like jazz and blues. She welcomes the change, though.

"It's almost like a re-brand. It's not Coke, it's the new Coke," she said.

Precisely.

Audiences were drinking it up too, Friday particularly so. A lineup that included local favourites Grand Theft Bus, along with cutey popsters The Chucky Danger Band and much-loved headliners the Joel Plaskett Emergency attracted a crowd that wouldn't be caught dead near something that even whiffed of jazz. Or even blues.

"It's fun music," said Matt Craft, 21, of Saint John. "You're not going to have a good time listening to jazz and blues."

As Craft spoke, Plaskett rocked the crowd of about 800 with his tuneless yowling. The Emergency leader is a man with some fine songs, plenty of homespun charisma, but a tearfully dreadful voice.

Mike Doyle and Marc Doiron are Saint Johners in their mid-20s who came out to see bands like Grand Theft Bus. One of the big attractions for them is the social aspect, bumping into old friends they haven't seen in years.

And, "I like music," Doiron said.

Up at the Canterbury Street tent, Toronto bluesman Harry Manx and his hard- blowing harp player brought the house down in the half-full tent. Those who were there got an aural treat and the added bonus of watching four burly cops load a feisty drunk into the back of a police car.

There were plenty of free offerings too. Saturday afternoon, music lovers could settle in for a Brent Mason-hosted songwriters' circle, followed by one of the best performances of the weekend. Local hip-hop collective Curbside Prawjek played a super tight, funky set with MC Collide leading the charge with his smart raps.

Lori McCue, 29, was sitting curbside outside the Germain Street entrance of City Market listening to Curbside. She likes the festival's new name and image.

"It's great. It helps the event focus on different types of music."

That night, North Preston, N.S.'s Carson Downey Band tore it up with a super- charged set of electric blues. Downey mauled his guitar as the power trio ripped through a blistering set of originals and covers. The pace slowed considerably when Montreal's Roxanne Potvin hit the stage. Although a smooth singer with jazzy inflections, one wonders about the wisdom of putting on such a mellow act after such a gripping opener. Some of the crowd opted to head outside for a smoke at that point, or to escape the clinging heat.

Festival headliner Colin James, backed by a six-piece band that included a Hammond organ and a powerful two-man horn section, proved that two decades in the business hadn't slowed him down. Potvin came out on stage and joined her idol midway, looking like the kid who just won the lottery as the older musician coaxed her into some solo struts.

Looking impossibly young and fit for a musician of 41, James was decked out in tight jeans, sleeveless black T-shirt and an even tan. Ever the showman, he took the jammed, sold-out crowd of about 1,000 through much of his newer material, slipping in old favourite, Just Came Back (from 1990), for good measure.

Saint John's Bill and Terry Clark are old jazz festival fans and travel every year to Fredericton and Halifax for the events in those cities.

They liked the changes but had some beefs about the organization.

"The music is great, but there isn't enough room in the tent," Bill Clark said.

The couple were outside, escaping the sweltering heat that had turned the tent into a greenhouse of humidity.

"There aren't enough seats and everybody is standing up," he said of the giant tent that was elbow to elbow from front to back. The festival, he continued, "got a little big for them. The effort that's put in is excellent. They didn't expect the crowd, so there isn't enough space."

"When you pay for a ticket, there should be a seat," Terry Clark added."

The re-brand suits them fine, though.

"Before it was called jazz and blues and it wasn't jazz and blues. It was a multi-music festival," Bill said.

Brent Mason, the festival's artistic director, who booked the acts, was excited about the future of Salty Jam.

"What success like this does is it gives us more permission to try other new things," Mason said Saturday afternoon. "It takes time for a festival to get a personality. I don't know yet what that is but we are heading in the right direction."

-Grant Kerr-
So, we need air to live, but we can't hold it in?... We're screwed.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAlleyRehearsals?fref=ts (Jamspace and Recording)
http://www.curbside.bandcamp.com (2 free albums)
http://www.myspace.com/stevefudge (acoustic)
collide
Bronze Member

Return to Music and Musicians