Snare Drum Etudes

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Snare Drum Etudes

Postby Nick H. » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm going to be auditioning within a month or so for a spot in St.FX's music program as a drummer. One of the audition requirements is that I play a snare drum etude. I'm confident that I can learn one without too much trouble, but after searching online for a while, I can't find any free sheet music to learn from. Does anyone know where I could find something like that online? Or would an exercise from a book like Progressive Steps to Synchopation be considered an etude? Any information would be much appreciated...
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Nick, welcome to the forums.

I'm not much help to you, but hopefully one of the regulars here can point you in the right direction.

Glad you found your way here.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:03 pm

I know you said free, but have you checked any of the music stores in town? If you're just looking for one piece of sheet music, the cost is usually only around 5 bucks. There's a place that specializes in sheet music uptown that could probably order something for you, but I can't remember the name of it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:15 pm

macrae11 wrote:I know you said free, but have you checked any of the music stores in town? If you're just looking for one piece of sheet music, the cost is usually only around 5 bucks. There's a place that specializes in sheet music uptown that could probably order something for you, but I can't remember the name of it.

Used to be Helen's Music and now it's called Veronika's I think. It's on Waterloo. Maybe talk to someone that's done the program, like Bartlett. Don't worry we'll find you something though.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: Snare Drum Etudes

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Nick H. wrote:I'm going to be auditioning within a month or so for a spot in St.FX's music program as a drummer. One of the audition requirements is that I play a snare drum etude. I'm confident that I can learn one without too much trouble, but after searching online for a while, I can't find any free sheet music to learn from. Does anyone know where I could find something like that online? Or would an exercise from a book like Progressive Steps to Synchopation be considered an etude? Any information would be much appreciated...

Glad to see you using this place as a resource. You can ask recording questions in the "Sounds Good" forum too you know. You can even post your work... :idea:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Great, thanks for the info everyone. I also need a timpani etude and something for mallets, those'll probably be more tricky to find...
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:24 pm

Nick H. wrote:Great, thanks for the info everyone. I also need a timpani etude and something for mallets, those'll probably be more tricky to find...

It's a lot of work to get them to take your money eh? :-P

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:28 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
Nick H. wrote:Great, thanks for the info everyone. I also need a timpani etude and something for mallets, those'll probably be more tricky to find...

It sure is... I've got a lot of work still to do. Would this be a good place to post a couple of those mixes?
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:26 am

Nick H. wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:

It sure is... I've got a lot of work still to do. Would this be a good place to post a couple of those mixes?

In the "Sounds Good" section yeah. Give them each their own thread to keep things clean. I'm curious to see where you've taken things since I last heard it.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:42 am

Nick H. wrote:I'm going to be auditioning within a month or so for a spot in St.FX's music program as a drummer. One of the audition requirements is that I play a snare drum etude. I'm confident that I can learn one without too much trouble, but after searching online for a while, I can't find any free sheet music to learn from. Does anyone know where I could find something like that online? Or would an exercise from a book like Progressive Steps to Synchopation be considered an etude? Any information would be much appreciated...

How did you end up making out with all of this stuff?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:12 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:

How did you end up making out with all of this stuff?

I learned all that latin stuff, now I have to setup an audition, or decide if I still want to go there at all. Staying here and having no debt is tempting...
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:20 pm

Nick H. wrote:I learned all that latin stuff, now I have to setup an audition, or decide if I still want to go there at all. Staying here and having no debt is tempting...
Being a great player would also be tempting... To me anyways. Keep your options open for now. I only went down the road I did because I didn't have the opportunity that you do now.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Music and Musicians