The mind of a Weekend Warrior

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

The mind of a Weekend Warrior

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:29 am

I'm learning things everyday, as we all do. The interesting thing is that none my lessons seem new. The things that I learn seem to be things that I should have realized years ago given the insight I have now.

This whole rant started after I received a call from my business partner in Halifax, it seemed we are both kinda down lately. Sick of the lack of "business" of the music business. I know, seems sort of strange to say that eh?

Anyone that knows me well enough knows that I'm pretty despressed right now. Maybe depression isn't the right word, who knows... I ain't a fucking shrink. I will say though that I'm not in a particularly cheery mood as of late. This isn't the first time this has happened, I get like this from time to time. This time is different though. I've identified something very important in this mess.

Either you are in charge and you make decisions and take action, or you are not in charge and you await your orders. I've learned that being anywhere in the middle of these extremities is a recipe for frustration that if prolonged over enough time can lead to general depression.

This is true at your job, at home or anywhere else that more than one person is involved in.

I deal with this type of situation constantly. Especially as a sideman is Saint John; A city plagued by unorganized musicians and band leaders.

I'm a person that constantly wants to organize and streamline things. I want to always strive for the best that I can be and I prefer to align myself with people that are like-minded. However in Saint John I've learned to either lower my standards or risk alienating everyone.

If I see something that needs done, it's in my nature to just go ahead and do it. The band needs set list for the night and no one has made them? No problem, I'll take care of it. No one has called a rehearsal for this week? Then let me call the rehearsal, book the room and prepare the talking points for the band meeting and work out the songs to learn. I'd even go as far as printing lyrics and chord charts if I felt it was needed.

So you figure that since you take care of all the detail work that it should facilitate things and that everyone will at least put their share of the effort in, learn the songs and be otherwise prepared. Ironically though, the more effort you put into anything, the less effort you'll see from anyone else. Think about it, there's a reason no one else called that rehearsal or made that set list. Obviously no one else thought it was that important. The big truth here is that everyone wants to be great and no one wants to lift a finger to get there. "Everyone has dreams until those dreams start to materialize into hard work", my business partner said to me on the phone two hours ago. He right, y'know. If Alain and I had a penny for everytime someone said "Man, this studio is awesome you guys are so lucky...", we'd have a much bigger studio. Show me a man who relies on luck, and I'll show you a man that thinks very little of himself.

People want everything handed to them and I just want them to at least do their share of the work. Now I realize a lot of you might say, "Woah dude, you're asking too much!" Those of you who say that are the problem I have with this scene. But that's not the point I'm trying to make for now. The point I'm making is that either you are in charge or you are following orders. If you are doing both you've fucked something up.

This is also directed at the band leaders out there, get your shit together so that the rest of us don't have to pick up your slack. If you are in charge of booking your band, get shit in writing. Especially if special provisions are being made for the event. If it's anything more complicated than playing at the local pub for a set amount of money get an MOU or something in writing that outlines the general transaction. If I ask someone when soundcheck is or when load-in is... I don't expect to get "I don't know, just show up whenever" as an answer. If I call you and ask if I am free to book a weekend off and you say "yes" please check with your calendar. Also make sure that calendar is up-to-date. If I end up getting triple booked, please understand it's because yuo didn't tell me that I already had two shows with you that night. Even if I hadn't taken the weekend off to book with someone else, how were we planning on being in two places at once?

I don't blame myself for wanting to step up and take care of things when dealing with these types of situations. However, I think it's important to also understand that at the end of the day they are paying you and if they decide that that is how they want to run their business then you can't do anything to stop them. It's just a lot of wasted energy if you do.

So in the end either you're the bus driver or you're all back of the bus. Or better yet, you get yourself your own brand new super bus with jet engines attached to the side and racing stripes. Whatever you do, don't try to drive the bus from the back seat... you're just looking for trouble.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Beaver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:41 pm

This seems like it can apply to you :) Pretty much live by this at work:

The Cult of Done Manifesto

1. There are three states of being. Not knowing, action and completion.
2. Accept that everything is a draft. It helps to get it done.
3. There is no editing stage.
4. Pretending you know what you're doing is almost the same as knowing what you are doing, so just accept that you know what you're doing even if you don't and do it.
5. Banish procrastination. If you wait more than a week to get an idea done, abandon it.
6. The point of being done is not to finish but to get other things done.
7. Once you're done you can throw it away.
8. Laugh at perfection. It's boring and keeps you from being done.
9. People without dirty hands are wrong. Doing something makes you right.
10. Failure counts as done. So do mistakes.
11. Destruction is a variant of done.
12. If you have an idea and publish it on the internet, that counts as a ghost of done.
13. Done is the engine of more.
Beaver

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Haha... I understand the context. But in the wrong hands that can lead to a lot more of the problem. There's some who'd be FAR better off doing nothing... :roll: Sometimes knowing just enough to mess with things of a critical nature is worse than knowing nothing and thus messing with nothing.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Beaver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:56 pm

Oh for sure, this manifesto applies to a small group of the population who seem to understand that you work the job and not the hours. For all those that do what it takes to get the job done because that is what makes the day complete not the clock hitting 5:00pm.
Beaver

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Beaver wrote:For all those that do what it takes to get the job done because that is what makes the day complete not the clock hitting 5:00pm.

Why is this such a difficult concept for most? Oh well, more pie for me I guess.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:02 pm

MMMMM PIE...
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:05 pm

RoadDog wrote:MMMMM PIE...

Get away from my pie before I stab you with my fork... :twisted:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Anyways, I guess my point is that I'm now taking great comfort in simply moving to the back of the bus and watching the scenery. Besides I'm right next to the emergency exit just it case. But the idea of getting my own bus is very inticing though...

So I'm back to being not depressed. I just needed to mull it over.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:19 pm

See, defense of one's PIE can be quite stimulating :shock:
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Beaver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Anyways, I guess my point is that I'm now taking great comfort in simply moving to the back of the bus and watching the scenery. Besides I'm right next to the emergency exit just it case. But the idea of getting my own bus is very inticing though...

Problem with that is you will soon dislike the back of the bus just as much as being in the drivers seat. At least behind the wheel you could pick left or right. From your previous statements I can't see you being happy with the go with the flow attitude for very long before you want to be back in control of your course. Sorry if that makes you depressed again :-)
Beaver

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Beaver wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Anyways, I guess my point is that I'm now taking great comfort in simply moving to the back of the bus and watching the scenery. Besides I'm right next to the emergency exit just it case. But the idea of getting my own bus is very inticing though...

Problem with that is you will soon dislike the back of the bus just as much as being in the drivers seat. At least behind the wheel you could pick left or right. From your previous statements I can't see you being happy with the go with the flow attitude for very long before you want to be back in control of your course. Sorry if that makes you depressed again :-)

Nailed it. I need my own bus. With jet engines and racing stripes. I'm not sure who you are but I like you.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:36 pm

RoadDog wrote:See, defense of one's PIE can be quite stimulating :shock:

OMG.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Beaver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:41 pm

I can relate to what you are saying 100% I went through a period of go with the flow and didn't find any satisfaction with what I accomplished, sure I got to leave everyday at 5:00pm and had my weekends to myself, but I still knew that there was more I could have done. I have found myself really loving my job now that I put everything I can into it, and I wont lie the last 3 raises have shown someone higher up has noticed as well. :-D
Beaver

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:44 pm

Beaver wrote:I can relate to what you are saying 100% I went through a period of go with the flow and didn't find any satisfaction with what I accomplished, sure I got to leave everyday at 5:00pm and had my weekends to myself, but I still knew that there was more I could have done. I have found myself really loving my job now that I put everything I can into it, and I wont lie the last 3 raises have shown someone higher up has noticed as well. :-D

I work for the fereral gov't. The laws of the universe are inversely proportional here. :roll:

I'm the kind of guy that really should only be working for himself or possibly for someone who's intelligence and drive he respects.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Beaver wrote:
Problem with that is you will soon dislike the back of the bus just as much as being in the drivers seat. At least behind the wheel you could pick left or right.

Just to clarify, the problem is right now I have no control (driving from the back seat) and all the stress that should normally be associated with said control. So since taking control is not a viable option, staying at the back is the only option left if you choose to ride that particular bus, which for now I do.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Some would argue, not I of course, cuz I've seen the thing, that one should consider him or herself grateful to be even on the bus... you kno, I'm just sayin'....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:56 pm

Some may argue that, but I wouldn't. Not at this point. It's an old bus with a bad front end the driver seems completely alright with leaving it at that too. I'll stay on the bus, but I'm through trying to assist in it's direction.

Also I've kept this very general for a reason. I know that you and I are talking about something specific, but I'm talking about a more general problem I'm having.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Matt you and I should start a band. I'm quite on board with what you're saying. We could cover classic tunes, like "The Wheels On The Bus" and "Hail to the Bus Driver".

Seriously though, I wish I had time to get on a bus at all. As it is I don't even seem to have time to practice on my own, let alone work up new tunes, and deal with all the band "issues" anymore.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:07 pm

I made time.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby macrae11 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:47 pm

Yeah someday I will too. I've been dying to start a Motown band. It could clean up on the corporate circuit.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:52 pm

I made some time tonight to jam with one of my favorite bassists in town and a guitar player I've never met. We went all Stratus and it was the most fun I've had in a while. Then it turned into a crazy fusion jam. So I'm feeling way better.

But I totally would play in a motown band!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:34 pm

macrae11 wrote:Matt you and I should start a band. I'm quite on board with what you're saying. We could cover classic tunes, like "The Wheels On The Bus" and "Hail to the Bus Driver"...
"Magic Bus"...

Drumwaiter wrote:But I totally would play in a motown band!
...And who in their right mind wouldn't?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:16 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
macrae11 wrote:Matt you and I should start a band. I'm quite on board with what you're saying. We could cover classic tunes, like "The Wheels On The Bus" and "Hail to the Bus Driver"...
"Magic Bus"...

It's a good analogy, leave it alone you guys.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:36 am

Drumwaiter wrote:Some may argue that, but I wouldn't. Not at this point. It's an old bus with a bad front end the driver seems completely alright with leaving it at that too. I'll stay on the bus, but I'm through trying to assist in it's direction.

Also I've kept this very general for a reason. I know that you and I are talking about something specific, but I'm talking about a more general problem I'm having.

Oh no, I was speaking in vastly general terms, reference to the bus meaning that you are playing in public at all, nothing terribly specific...
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:42 am

RoadDog wrote:Oh no, I was speaking in vastly general terms, reference to the bus meaning that you are playing in public at all, nothing terribly specific...

Oh, I thought you and I were getting into specifics.

Either way, I get paid well for what I do, so I'll just shut up... for now.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Next

Return to Music and Musicians