Kings of Leon

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Kings of Leon

Postby macrae11 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:13 pm

Well usually I'm not much of a bandwagon jumper. To be honest I almost feel a little guilty buying into the hype machine that is the big record labels.

However someone at work was playing a couple of tunes from the Kings of Leon's new album "Only By The Night", and I was totally struck by it. The vocals blew me away with the rawness and passion. I think I might have heard a few off notes in there<gasp!>. I'm not sure how it made it through the quality control department. Anyways I ended up buying it tonight, expecting to hear the two singles and a bunch of filler. Well I'm not even all the way through it yet, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of the tracks.

The drum sounds are awesome, tasting bass parts and tone, not overplayed, beautifully produced guitars, and of course the aformentioned vocals. And the other songs, while not "hits" are fun and interesting.

Colour me impressed. Perhaps there is hope for label music. I'm sure it won't be up everyone's alley, but it actually makes me want to pick up a guitar again. Something I haven't really wanted to do for quite a while.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby clinton » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:20 am

I haven't heard the new one but they're a great band. Is this one an Ethan Johns production? I would buy pretty much anything he produces just based on his involvement.
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:05 am

It wasn't actually. It was produced by Angelo Petraglia, who I believe co-produced their last record, and Jacquire King who also tracked and mixed.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Music and Musicians