Jessica Rhaye - "Good Things"

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Jessica Rhaye - "Good Things"

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:18 am

So, she's coming out with a new album this spring. I can't wait to hear it. Short Stories was such a great album with really sharp production, yet I can't help but wonder what direction she is going in now. From her performance at "For the sake of the Song" I'm getting the impression that she is going into something completely different this time.

Anyone know any inside info on this? There's no real info on the website. I was wondering if anyone knew if this one was recorded at Soundpark as well? Was it the same producer? When's the release date?

Come on guys, someone has got to know something.

Website shows a full band show on May 14th. Possibly a CD release, so I'm assuming that the album will be released sometime late April. I think I'm gonna book that night off...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 am

at the risk of saying stuff I might not supposed to be saying....

Yes, the release is May 14th at the Blue Olive. I've had the new disc for a couple of weeks now and it's great. Her best yet without a doubt. There's some grit and roots influence on this one that was missing from previous efforts. Jessica has become a good friend this past year and I can tell you without hesistation that she's the real deal. She loves music and it shows in her live performances and she's captured that on her new disc. It was recorded at Soundpark again yes.

Hope that helps...
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 pm

clinton wrote:at the risk of saying stuff I might not supposed to be saying....

Yes, the release is May 14th at the Blue Olive. I've had the new disc for a couple of weeks now and it's great. Her best yet without a doubt. There's some grit and roots influence on this one that was missing from previous efforts. Jessica has become a good friend this past year and I can tell you without hesistation that she's the real deal. She loves music and it shows in her live performances and she's captured that on her new disc. It was recorded at Soundpark again yes.

Hope that helps...

Here here. I've only worked with Jessica once, but she's a serious talent, and a real pro. I believe this record was mastered at Joao Carvalho's for those interested in that sort of thing.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 pm

clinton wrote:at the risk of saying stuff I might not supposed to be saying....

I doubt any of what you've said is secret squirrel stuff and I thank you for sharing. Besides I'm just trying to raise some awareness about it anyways.

Short Stories was awesome and it was one of the rare "local" releases that I could find myself listening to a lot for a long time after I bought it. If the new album is recorded at Soundpark withthe same producer, it's gonna be awesome, the only thing is to see where she takes her music. I'm very excited to hear what it's going to be like based on some of the new stuff I heard her do with Chris Daigle.

Jessica being the real deal isn't lost on me at all. I've always liked her stuff. The first album was neither here nor there with me. But I always loved her voice. I started gaining an appreciation for her when she was cutting demos after the first album, and I started listening to her songs for what they were, without the distraction of everything else. When Short Stories came out I was hooked though, finally the production and the writing were on par with each other. I remember the first time I heard Crazy Jane, it reminded me of the sound and production of Tori Amos' Scarlet's Walk. I was really happy to see that kind of quality and talent find each other. Jessica is great and she's getting better all the time. Having someone like Mark to help her along in the business of things is a great advantage too. I have the utmost respect for both of them.

Not to go off track, but when/where can I buy your album Clinton?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:17 pm

macrae11 wrote:I believe this record was mastered at Joao Carvalho's for those interested in that sort of thing.

Nice! Was it mastered there last time too? Whoever did it last time did a fine job!

For those interested in who Andrew is talking about:
http://www.joaocarvalhomastering.com/

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:35 pm

No idea about the previous record.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm

macrae11 wrote:No idea about the previous record.

I'll look on the back of my CD later.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:55 pm

You do that.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby clinton » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm just hashing out a release date now bud, hopefully end of May. I'm pretty stoked and hey, the record features Jessica's voice on harmony on one of the tracks!
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:45 pm

clinton wrote:...the record features Jessica's voice on harmony on one of the tracks!

What do ya know? I kinda stayed on track after all.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
macrae11 wrote:I believe this record was mastered at Joao Carvalho's for those interested in that sort of thing.

Nice! Was it mastered there last time too? Whoever did it last time did a fine job!

For those interested in who Andrew is talking about:
http://www.joaocarvalhomastering.com/
Nice Martin Pilchner room! He does crazy nice work.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby roachie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:54 pm

He's a crazy nice guy... had him as an instructor at Harris... We spent most of the time listening to stories about pranks he has pulled on his co-workers.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 pm

roachie wrote:He's a crazy nice guy... had him as an instructor at Harris... We spent most of the time listening to stories about pranks he has pulled on his co-workers.
Yeah, I had him at Trebas before Harris had his own place set up. I remember him being crazy funny as well. Pilchner has become one of the biggest names in the game for sure.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby roachie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:51 pm

Once you build a studio for DJ Jazzy Jeff, you stay employed.
roachie
Sean Roach

Return to Music and Musicians