University Venting...

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

University Venting...

Postby Nick H. » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Well, Matt encouraged me to post some of the things I hate about university, so I might as well, it might make me feel better...

The worst part of university for me, worse than having to wake up at 7am, is my teachers.

I have 5 teachers this semester, 2 of which can speak understandable english. For the other 3, I can't pronounce their names, let alone learn anything from their lectures. I'm not being discriminatory here, I just literally have no idea what they're trying to say, and while I'm sure they know the subject very well, their ability to teach it is questionable..

It doesn't help that; for the most part, they don't really seem to WANT to teach anybody very well. I have one teacher who is especially bad in this area. On the first day of class, he opened by bragging about not even having opened the book he recommended we buy for the course (side note - 5 books cost me $700). He has since spent most of the time telling us about his views and experiences, while occasionally mentioning that the chapter he is currently lecturing us on, he read on the drive to class that morning.

My physics teacher is just a jerk. She posted the list of assigned questions on the internet in an unbelievably confusing format. I had been busy, and emailed her when I saw them (the night before they were due), and asked about them. The next day in class, she announced that "someone had the nerve to email me last night about the questions that are due today", but why is it her concern when I do them, so long as they're done on time? Especially seeing as I got them all right.

It's also frustrating that the teachers just read out of the textbooks, I think I would learn more just staying home and reading by myself (it would save money...), this is what I do for my assignments and it is identical to the lectures.

It also kinda sucks that they mark so few of the assigned questions. In about 100 of them on an assignment, maybe 10 were marked. I understand that this is probably necessary, but still, I got really unlucky and failed an assignment because of it!

There's a lot more that I'd love to rant about, but I've probably said enough, and while I understand that nobody is likely to read all of this disorganized venting, it did make me feel a bit better! :-)
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby roachie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:47 pm

Don't confuse a "teacher" with a "professor"... teachers want their students to learn because it looks good on them, professors don't give a shit, it's up to you. If you love the direction, you'll get through it, if you hate it, you'll spend calculus in Col. Tuckers playing 45's because the boys took my bookbag and I didn't have my notes.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Greg H. » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 pm

yeah it's pretty gay, but at least there aren't a bunch of douchebags who can't play guitar or sing... yet they come to school and (not so)play guitar, and (not so) Sing. I suppose it gets them laid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QCs3Pn ... PL&index=3
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Greg H. wrote:yeah it's pretty gay, but at least there aren't a bunch of douchebags who can't play guitar or sing... yet they come to school and (not so)play guitar, and (not so) Sing. I suppose it gets them laid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QCs3Pn ... PL&index=3

If you love that, you'll also love the other volume "Learning how to play bass and not get laid." Priceless.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby LarryS » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:31 pm

Hang in there Nick!!!

I know how frustrating it can be dealing with language barriers. I attended classes in Southern California where it seemed all the professors were either Asian or Middle Eastern. There were a couple of classes where over 97% of the students in the class were foreign as well. Group projects were a F'ing nightmare!!!

I find that taking a "I am just getting the necessary checks in blocks" attitude can be helpful. Keep your eye on the future and on the doors that will be open for you if you persevere.
Is it just me?
LarryS
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:34 pm

I told you to hold out and go to college instead.... you kids these days, you're all so impulsive. With the money you haven saved up, you'd get out of a college completely debt free with a USEFUL education. Is it too late to tell UNBSJ to pound sand or did you already pay them?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:I told you to hold out and go to college instead.... you kids these days, you're all so impulsive. With the money you haven saved up, you'd get out of a college completely debt free with a USEFUL education. Is it too late to tell UNBSJ to pound sand or did you already pay them?

I paid them.. And I tried to get into college, but was on a waiting list.. Trust me, I wish every day I was there instead... I have never had so much useless information forced on me than at university...
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:55 pm

I never asked you, but was there a particular reason that you couldn't just wait one semester until the you could get in to NBCC?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm gonna start a group:

"Non-parents against parent forcing redundant and inneffective post-secondary education on their children."

I call it NPAPFRIPSEC for short....

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:23 pm

University certainly has it's place, but it totally depends on what you want to do with your life. Do you know what your plan is Nick?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:24 pm

macrae11 wrote:University certainly has it's place, but it totally depends on what you want to do with your life. Do you know what your plan is Nick?

That's just it, he didn't plan on doing anything that required a University degree. That's why we had discussed getting a good solid real world education at NBCC, but he was a bit late in making that call.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Well, for a long time, I was planning to go to St. FX to study music, but when I found out that it would cost me about $17,000 a year to do that, and knowing how little money I would make right out of school, I chose to not do that.

Basically, I'm going to university because, upon completion, I know I can get a high paying job, and still TRY to do music, but without risking working for minimum wage for the rest of my life if it doesn't work out...
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Nick H. wrote:Basically, I'm going to university because, upon completion, I know I can get a high paying job, and still TRY to do music, but without risking working for minimum wage for the rest of my life if it doesn't work out...

I'm thinking you can do the same thing with NBCC at a fraction of the price.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:35 pm

It depends on what you want to do when you're done. Getting a university degree in underwater basket weaving doesn't get you any more money than a music degree. A completed university degree in anything is never a bad thing, even if it's completely useless. Although it's a pretty big waste of money if you don't do anything with it, it will always give you more options. There's often I wish I had a university degree, although if I had to do it all over again, I still wouldn't have gone to uni, simply because I wouldn't be where I'm at now, and don't know if I ever would be.

There are great jobs that you can only get by going to university, and there are great jobs you can only get by going to college/trade school. You have to know what destination you want to reach in order to know what road to take.

Personally I'm glad I took a year off at your age. It was pretty much a wasted year, but I think it helped set me on the right path.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:05 pm

macrae11 wrote: It was pretty much a wasted year, but I think it helped set me on the right path.

Agreed.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 pm

in all honesty, and I have a BA in English from Saint Mary's, what a bachelor's degree shows a potential employer, is that you can finish a path that you have chosen. That you can be assigned a finite group of tasks and complete them in a reasonable length of time, including the ability to perform research. A degree from 'uni' is considered to leave you with a well rounded sense of accomplishment. I have also graduated from a music industry program, which, if I hadn't made the most of it for myself, would have been a huge waste of money. As a result of my efforts I was able to network and position myself for a shot a semi famousness. I also graduated from a program at NBCC, which was highly specific, and potentially financially rewarding. However, that career path wasn't for me. University, I believe, is not for everyone, neither is college. The old 'parental' adage that you will have something to fall back on if music doesn't work out is oh so very true. Personally, I have yet to have to fall back on anything, fortunately I have positioned myself in a place where I can do what I love, when I choose to do it. Very few of my 'professional' friends can say the same. The bottom line.. if you allow life to catch up with your dreams, it will, student loans, car loans, mortgage payments and knocked up girlfriends or wives tend to put the brakes on many a entertainment career. Advice, if music is your passion, your dream, position yourself to chase it. However, if you want financial security, I would suggest another career path, or, marry for money!
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Greg H. » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:01 am

Marrying for money!
Best idea yet. And if you hate her, then just divorce her! Half of everthing is yours!
Except for the kid... she can have that.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:35 am

Greg H. wrote:Marrying for money!
Best idea yet. And if you hate her, then just divorce her! Half of everthing is yours!
Except for the kid... she can have that.

I like you more and more...

Keith actually once had the secret to success all sussed out for me:

Don't get a new car.
Don't get a house.
and don't anyone knocked up.

Words to live by!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Greg H. » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Those are some good rules. You can't break any of them or else a chain reaction will happen and you'll have to break the other two;
You buy a new car, your chances of getting a girl knocked up increase= kid.
Kid = House
House + Kid + Bitchy Wife = Fuck my life

(Try to keep up, there will be a quiz on this later)
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:20 pm

Greg H. wrote:Those are some good rules. You can't break any of them or else a chain reaction will happen and you'll have to break the other two;
You buy a new car, your chances of getting a girl knocked up increase= kid.
Kid = House
House + Kid + Bitchy Wife = Fuck my life

(Try to keep up, there will be a quiz on this later)

You're gonna get along just fine around these parts.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Coffee Shop