Sound engineering school

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Sound engineering school

Postby Jef » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:29 pm

A young friend of mine has expressed an interest in Sound engineering. I have offered to let her 'shadow' me on some gigs to get a little hands-on experience and maybe answer a lot of her questions and concerns.

Her goal is to eventually enroll in a school for sound engineering and make a career of it. She has researched a few schools: OIART, and TREBAS are a couple that I recognized. But still she is undecided.

Does anybody here on this forum have any suggestions or tips that I may pass along to her to help out?
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:31 pm

"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:35 pm

Now for my real answer, I think that shadowing is a great way for now until she feels that she's not learning anything more from that and wants to go to school. Everytime I work with Andrew I get 8.7432% smarter. I watch him work, ask questions and make food runs.

Shadowing is the best way to learn and it's cheap. Besides if she gets really good, she can take all the gigs you don't want to do. Right Nick? :-)
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby roachie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:43 pm

I went to "Harris Institute for the Arts" in T-dot... Great instructors, good times.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Don't get me started! :evil:
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:50 pm

roachie wrote:I went to "Harris Institute for the Arts" in T-dot... Great instructors, good times.
Best school in the country IMHO.

http://www.harrisinstitute.com/

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:

Why not? You get me started all the time!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:57 pm

Also, I forgot to mention, she will be living in SJ next summer and is willing to work on a volunteer basis for anyone in the music production business who can give her some knowledge and experience from the ground up.

= cheap labour for you
= a wealth of knowledge and experience for her.

For right now, she is available for weekend work. Contact me if you have anything upcoming that she might be able help out with.
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Jef » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:58 pm

roachie wrote:I went to "Harris Institute for the Arts" in T-dot... Great instructors, good times.

Thank you Sean, I will pass that along to her.
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:

Why not? You get me started all the time!
I actually have some new news/gossip about the place so it's timely.

...and I still don't know how they've gotten away with Creighton Doane's name on their site unless they're paying him to use his creds.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Jef wrote:Also, I forgot to mention, she will be living in SJ next summer and is willing to work on a volunteer basis for anyone in the music production business who can give her some knowledge and experience from the ground up.

= cheap labour for you
= a wealth of knowledge and experience for her.

For right now, she is available for weekend work. Contact me if you have anything upcoming that she might be able help out with.

We love interns! She's more than welcome to sit in in whatever I'm doing here. I'll send you a msg if anything comes up that I think might be worth coming out for.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: Sound engineering school

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Jef wrote:Does anybody here on this forum have any suggestions or tips that I may pass along to her to help out?
I'm a big fan of post secondary formal education in the biz.

A huge advantage is getting some practical experience aforehand.

If the person in question is of the high school aged, and interested in "live" production work, Imperial Theatre accepts co-op students who could work in the technical department. If they are eligible, they should seek that out.

Also, it's far from steady work, but putting in a resume at Imperial Theatre for stagehand work is never a bad idea to get your foot in, and a chance to get a taste of the stage business. Make it "attn: Technical Director".

Getting a look at the less than glamourous end of things sometimes changes a young person's mind before they spend a ton of money on an education.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Sound engineering school

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Getting a look at the less than glamourous end of things sometimes changes a young person's mind before they spend a ton of money on an education.

Such a great piece of advice.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby LarryS » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:43 pm

She may not be interested, but recruiting for New England School of Communications is part of my job description at my 9 to 5.

NESCOM is in Bangor, ME. They offer Bachelor degree programs in Audio Engineering and Audio/Video Technology. Their primary focus is digital (Pro Tools). They have two ICON systems. The gear there is great. The instructors that I have met seem to be sharp folks. The post graduation transition/job placement looks to be real good as well.

I could arrange a tour if she is at all interested in studying in the states.

http://www.nescom.edu
Is it just me?
LarryS
Bronze Member

Postby RoadDog » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:18 pm

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=191209140&blogID=433617703

This may be of interest. Jim was one of the more talented instructors at Trebas in Toronto in the mid to late 80s. His advice served me quite well. Oh and do not, under any circumstance allow your friend to attend Trebas, because friends don't let friends attend Trebas.

And the part about the biz being somewhat less than glamorous at times, oh so very true. The part about getting some practical experience before going to an 'industry' school, is an absolute must, don't leave home without it.
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Jef » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 pm

RoadDog wrote:http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=191209140&blogID=433617703

This may be of interest. Jim was one of the more talented instructors at Trebas in Toronto in the mid to late 80s. His advice served me quite well. Oh and do not, under any circumstance allow your friend to attend Trebas, because friends don't let friends attend Trebas.

And the part about the biz being somewhat less than glamorous at times, oh so very true. The part about getting some practical experience before going to an 'industry' school, is an absolute must, don't leave home without it.

Thank you Keith, that's some interesting (and valuable) reading. I sent my friend a link to this forum so she can read all of the posts. And thanks also to the rest of you for taking an interest.
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Jef wrote:Thank you Keith, that's some interesting (and valuable) reading. I sent my friend a link to this forum so she can read all of the posts. And thanks also to the rest of you for taking an interest.

She should join and become active on here too. This place isn't a terrible resource for these kinds of things.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:46 pm

Oh, and the most valuable insight that I would offer anyone embarking on an educational journey of any sort is this. School will only be what you make of it. Lectures and assignments are but the tip of the iceberg. Get involved, volunteer for events, join a study / interest group, network network network.
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:52 pm

RoadDog wrote:http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=191209140&blogID=433617703

Outstanding link to Lamarche's blog. He is pretty much bang on with what I know about the state of thngs in Canada right now. We knew how bad Trebas had slipped down the hole when anyone with cred left to go teach elsewhere... see: Harris.

OIART get's a great from him, and we know several of our regulars would probably agree with that.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Nick H. » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Shadowing is the best way to learn and it's cheap. Besides if she gets really good, she can take all the gigs you don't want to do. Right Nick? :-)

Yeah, and the ones you don't want to do, I'm typically happy to do...
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:25 am

Hey, Jef... As it turns out, I happen to know who you are talking about. I was talking to her partner last night (we go way back) and if she's really interested in going for it, so should join us on here and become active in this community. It'll set her up well for tons of work this summer. It seems like she's really motivated.

EDIT: Now we're talking...
http://forums.middleaudio.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=206&sid=9b66811355f60528326f82afe917fc57

Hi Keltie! Welcome.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Hey, Jef... As it turns out, I happen to know who you are talking about. I was talking to her partner last night (we go way back) and if she's really interested in going for it, so should join us on here and become active in this community. It'll set her up well for tons of work this summer. It seems like she's really motivated.

EDIT: Now we're talking...
http://forums.middleaudio.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=206&sid=9b66811355f60528326f82afe917fc57

Hi Keltie! Welcome.

Yes, Keltie has been lurking on here for a while, reading the past posts and stuff. She's also got to meet a few of the regulars on here in real life too. I'm all about giving her as much help and guidance as possible, like getting her a bit of a head-start on things before she goes to sound school.
I would've given my left nut to have opportunities like that when I was her age... now 'tis time to pass on the torch to the next generation. Good luck, Keltie!
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Jef wrote:...
I would've given my left nut to have opportunities like that when I was her age... now 'tis time to pass on the torch to the next generation. Good luck, Keltie!
I say this all the time to the up and comers who are just starting out in this business. The things they have going for them as far as resources go is unbelievable compared to when I was fresh out of High School and out in the real world.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Update:
My friend (Keltie) just got the call... she has been accepted into OIART
Woo hoo! Congrats Keltie!
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Jef wrote:Update:
My friend (Keltie) just got the call... she has been accepted into OIART
Woo hoo! Congrats Keltie!

Sweet! That is awesome news!

Do you think she'll start posting on here now? ;-)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop