Long and McQuade

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Long and McQuade

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:04 pm

As a lot of you may now know, I no longer shop at Long and McQuade, Saint John location. Although there are a couple of the staff members there that I've always received fair treatment from, I can't over look the piles of experiences I've had there that range from bad to simply terrible. Combined with the lack of satisfaction in the responses of my complaints to management.

Anyhow... I won't bore any of you with my sob stories. I've since restarted my relationship with Just Drums in Toronto. I have one sales rep that I deal with, Corey. Their staff is rediculously gifted in the art of making me feel like the most important person that ever picked up a phone. They all have tremendous memories (Cory remembers me buying cymbals from him back when I was in high school) and they never let anything fall through the cracks. I was on their website today and noticed that like most companies, they have clearly defined a mission statement and core values:

JD website wrote:Mission Statement
To offer the highest level of service and satisfaction within the world of drums and percussion and to be the desired retailer to players of all age, ability, and background in the Greater Toronto Area.

JD Core Values
Just Drums is your doorway to musical discovery. Regardless of your level of experience or age, our aim is to show you the ropes and lead you towards mastery and personal enjoyment through drums and percussion. Just Drums is also committed to:

Building long-term relationships with our customers by maintaining courteous, respectful, and honest service as well as standing behind the products we sell.
Treating each other, whether customer, co-worker, owner, or supplier with respect and concern for the other’s well-being, and to operate with integrity in all interactions.
Striving for continuous improvement in an atmosphere of teamwork, while acknowledging the value of each person’s contribution to our overall goals.

I've highlighted the parts that interest me the most for clarity. As far as the mission statement goes, I live in New Brunswick and I'm still getting phenomenal service. As far as the core values go, I'm still waiting for Long and McQuade to come up with one so I can compare, but so far they fall very short of what's quoted for Just Drums. It's not fair to say that about all L&M locations though. Moncton offers me excellent service any time I call or walk through the door. Maybe it's because they don't know me over there. Maybe familiary really does breed contempt.

Maybe it's because I'm French? Normally I'd be kidding about that bit, but Al complains about it more than me, so it makes me think. I just choose to complain more publicly.

Anyways, back to the topic of Just Drums... They are awesome! I'm very happy to have made the switch, and this post is really about how much I love Just Drums.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Mike G let out a very obvious "Uh Oh" when he first heard about L&M taking over the then new Musicstop in Saint John. Turns out... He was a fortune teller.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Mike G let out a very obvious "Uh Oh" when he first heard about L&M taking over the then new Musicstop in Saint John. Turns out... He was a fortune teller.

Normally, I'd like to agree with you but I can't in this case. These problems were still there with Musicstop as well. Again, I have wonderful service in Moncton, so I'm not willing to commit to this being a chain-wide epidemic. Hey, maybe I'm the only one having problems with this store. If so I'll either shut up or play the "French" card.

I can't be the only one though with problems though, can I? Surely this can't a conspiracy to only piss me off...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:Mike G let out a very obvious "Uh Oh" when he first heard about L&M taking over the then new Musicstop in Saint John. Turns out... He was a fortune teller.

Normally, I'd like to agree with you but I can't in this case. These problems were still there with Musicstop as well. Again, I have wonderful service in Moncton, so I'm not willing to commit to this being a chain-wide epidemic.
I merely point that out as him having a premonition, and like it or not, he was right in this case.

I have to concur that I have experienced less than satisfaction when dealing with L&M recently. Most of these have been in situations related to them providing equipment for live events where they jeopardized our setup and reputation with their inability to do what they were contracted to do. In these types of situations, a "sorry" doesn't cut it. When it becomes repeated performance, it is time for us to look for another provider. If they don't want to take our business, they should say no when we call, instead of consistently dropping the ball.

Unfortunately for them, they have become an entity that we dread dealing with, instead of them being a partner we can count on, and we talk about that to our friends.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Unfortunately for them, they have become an entity that we dread dealing with, instead of them being a partner we can count on, and we talk about that to our friends.

This clearly sums up my feelings on the situation. Well said.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:04 pm

I guess my biggest problem is that I feel like I'm a nusiance as a customer. Like my business is somehow an inconvience to most of the staff. You should never walk into any retail store and feel that way, yet I feel that way most of the time. The other times I feel like everything is a huge complicated mess and it's just not worth it when there are many retailers that are moer than happy to take my business and not make it so complicated.

To make matters worse I really get the impression that when I bring up these issues with anyone there, no one really cares about the issue. Even with management, it simply seems to be a matter of caring about damage control and not the issue that created the problem. After a number of years of dealing with one thing after another I've finally had enough.

Anyways, I'm thinking of organizing a monthly carpool to Moncton that would go Saturday mornings to Long & McQuade in Moncton if anyone is interested. They have better stock and you won't feel like a pariah. I've already done this on my own several times but I'll take some company. We can also check out The Parlour for any used goodies.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby adam » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:43 am

I have always received impeccable service from the management and staff at the Saint John L&M location.

Granted, one of the staff members there is a close friend and bandmate, but everyone there is both extremely friendly to me as a dude and extremely respectful to me as a customer.

I really like to give them my money, but I am not an exceptional customer-- I mean, I make a decent enough salary but I'm not buying a Les Paul a week or anything. But every dealing I've had with them, be it renting, buying, returning, etc. has been excellent.

I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences there, Matt. For a chain, I've always been extremely impressed with their commitment to customer service and satisfaction, and I really like all the staff at the SJ store too.
adam

Postby giggleycraft » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:24 am

Weird, I've never had a problem there. Sure I have a friend/bandmate who works there, but I've had great service from everyone there.
giggleycraft

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 am

Dan's service is impeccable which is the only thing that has kept me going there this past year. However if I put an order through Dan and he happens to not be there the day that it comes in, it all becomes a huge pain in the ass, which puts me right back to square one.

I think there are a couple of factors that may make my experiences different from a lot of folks as well. First of all, I usually walk in there knowing exactly what I want, and usually it's not there in the shop (which is fine, I know that I want things that aren't going to necessarily appeal to a wide demographic.) However that means that the staff actually have to find themselves motivated enough to follow up on the order while I'm not breathing down their neck. Typical scenario: I order goods and the ETA is about 2-3 weeks. I needs said goods for an event in 4 weeks, so I have a one week buffer. I call at the end of 3 weeks only to find that the employee never in fact ordered it. I end up not have the item I need for the even t and I get frustrated. Rinse, lather and repeat... This happens to me almost everytime, unless Dan or Bill took the order.

It's not like I'm venting my furstrations after one or two isolated incidences, this is a chronic issue that I'm having there. Well one of the chronic issues I'm having there. I'm glad that some people are getting good service, I really am, but I'm willing to bet Dan's a big factor in that as well. He really is my favorite that about that store since Andrew left. I just find that most don't really pays attention, and some are just plain ignorant. I have found another retailer that really seems happy to take my business so all is well that ends well. I was just wondering how others here felt.

I'd hate to think they'd reserve their poor customer service for only me. But who could blame them I guess, I've only spent a few thousand dollars dollars in there since it opened, I'm sure they have more important things to deal with. At least if I don't walk in to there anymore I don't have to be rushed out of the store while I'm trying out products because it's 5:50pm and they will be closing soon. I'd hate to be that much of an incovenience to anyone.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:17 am

Well, you are in the perfect place to complain, where people go to do such things:

The Internet!!! That's all we do here! (well, that, and pr0n) ;) So even though a lot of us here are probably quick to defend a local shop where our friend works (and where we haven't had problems before), I think most of us can at least understand the need to vent over something that's troubling you. And you're not really being nasty about it, either, and who knows? Maybe some good will come of it. "Constructive bitchiness." It could catch on!

Respect all around,

-Christian
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:35 am

I wish that were the case but nothing good will come of this, IMO. It's not like this is my first attempt at trying to solve these problems directly, all I get is excuses or I'm simply ignored. So if anything does come if this thread (meaning I'm not ignored), the best I can really hope for is to get more excuses. I was just curious as to other people's experiences. It seems though that it's just me and Malcolm having issues. We must've pissed them off somewhere down the road and if we so we are probably sorry by now.

In my experience though, I'll say this: Some people in life would rather play the odds that they can get away with not trying, then risk putting any effort in anything.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:41 am

I think this goes to show that issues like this are rarely a company wide epidemic, and more of individual relationships. If you have someone you know and trust, the company could be burning to the ground, and you know you'll still get what you need. Unfortunately the inverse can also be true, and people can be soured by this, and things can go down the shitter.

I recently ordered some special order academic products from the Fredericton branch, and have gotten great, albeit slightly delayed service.(part of that was my fault though.) I suppose I should wait until the product comes in before I claim a victory for the home team, but I have no reason to doubt the competence of the staff that I deal with here based previous track records.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:55 am

macrae11 wrote:I think this goes to show that issues like this are rarely a company wide epidemic, and more of individual relationships. If you have someone you know and trust, the company could be burning to the ground, and you know you'll still get what you need. Unfortunately the inverse can also be true, and people can be soured by this, and things can go down the shitter.

I know, and I've stated as much in my earlier posts:
Drumwaiter wrote:Normally, I'd like to agree with you but I can't in this case. These problems were still there with Musicstop as well. Again, I have wonderful service in Moncton, so I'm not willing to commit to this being a chain-wide epidemic.

My problem is definitely with certain individuals, it's just that some of these individuals are in posititions of authority there, say for example assistant manager, and there's not much that can be done about it. It's fine though I buy my sticks and heads in bulk from another source so I really have no need to worry about it, I can avoid that kind of treatment by choosing to stay away. I can't control them, I can only control my actions. If I kept walking into a bar and got the shit kicked out of me over and over again, a wise person would tell me to stop going to that bar. Same principle applies here, at some point it's my fault if I going back.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:58 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:I guess my biggest problem is that I feel like I'm a nusiance as a customer. Like my business is somehow an inconvience to most of the staff. You should never walk into any retail store and feel that way, yet I feel that way most of the time. The other times I feel like everything is a huge complicated mess and it's just not worth it when there are many retailers that are moer than happy to take my business and not make it so complicated.

I often get a similar feeling and impression when I go to the Saint John L&M; whereas in Moncton I have had wonderful experiences and have thoroughly enjoyed visiting. It seems like you have similar experiences, too, Matt, so as to your French conspiracy: I am not French, yet I prefer driving to Moncton for L&M than going to Saint John.

The Moncton store is much larger (therefore, to me, it feels less claustrophobic), has more product, and the staff have always been wonderful. I feel like it is okay (and encouraged) to go there and try out a variety of products!

Last Summer I purchased, on separate occasions, a guitar amp and an electric guitar from the Moncton store. And I chose to drive the extra distance to go to Moncton instead of Saint John. I am primarily a bass player, but I wanted to learn electric guitar, and the staff in Moncton were great at allowing me the time to experiement and try different combinations of instruments and amps so that I could make the proper decision for my individual needs. The staff were very welcoming and helpful, whereas in Saint John the store feels cold and makes me feel like I am distrubing them (overall, that is, as I agree not all the staff in Saint John are that way).

That's my two cents to the topic at hand.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby fish » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 pm

I'm still waiting for my 5 cents back, damnit!!! In my case it wasn't L and M per se, just someone who left a taste in my mouth so bad, I swore I'd never return. Them taking over Musicstop here has made a liar outta me, though.
fish
Bronze Member

Location: somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:37 pm

fish wrote:In my case it wasn't L and M per se, just someone who left a taste in my mouth so bad, I swore I'd never return.

fish wrote:Them taking over Musicstop here has made a liar outta me, though.

Care to expand on either of these two statements? I'm just curious as to what happened in the first and what you meant by the second.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
fish wrote:In my case it wasn't L and M per se, just someone who left a taste in my mouth so bad, I swore I'd never return.

Care to expand on either of these two statements? I'm just curious as to what happened in the first and what you meant by the second.
When Mike lived in a town where he had a choice, he said he wouldn't go back to L&M... After the Musicstop purchase, he did.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Oh, it was a different location. I get it now.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Update: I got a VM on my cell phone (I can't answer it at work anymore due to some new policies since I've been back) and it's from Long & McQuade. Cool. It's not who you'd think though. While I do plan on calling this individual back (I really like that guy), I don't really know the circumstances of his call although I get the impression he's read this thread by now. Unfortunately he's not the one I have problems with, quite on the contrary, he's been amazing the entire time I've known him going way back. I'm just surprised to be hearing from anyone but least of all him, although when I think about it, he'd be one of only two people that I'd really expect to care at all, so it would make sense on closer inspection.

Anyways... I tried calling you back man. You were out, I'll try again later on this week when I get a chance. For the record, I know you're a really good guy and you're gonna want to solve this, you're just that kind of human being. But it's not your battle, you've done nothing wrong here.

To be continued I guess...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby warrbeat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 pm

slong@yorkville.com

I'm sure you could always complain here if it really bothers you.
Just a thought....
What do you mean "White men can't groove"?
warrbeat

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

warrbeat wrote:slong@yorkville.com

I'm sure you could always complain here if it really bothers you.
Just a thought....

Who is this person attached to this email? ...and yes, it really bothers me.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:24 pm

That's Jack's kid. The big dog.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/contact/
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:32 pm

macrae11 wrote:That's Jack's kid. The big dog.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/contact/

That sounds like exactly the type of person I want to talk to. Thanks guys.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby fish » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:15 am

Drumwaiter wrote:

When I lived in Calgary, I was driving by L&M so I figured I'd drop in and pick up a new bridge for my American Telecaster. I didn't have the guitar with me so I tell the guy it's a '94 American Standard. He picks a bridge and says "it should be this screw-hole configuration. Price $39.95" I buy it and take it home, it's the wrong screw-hole configuration. No big deal, there's only 2 options so it's the other one. I drive back to L&M and tell the guy it's the other screw-hole option. He grabs a bridge with the other screw-hole configuration and hands it to me. "Price $40.00 on the nose." He stands there with his hand out waiting for the f*cking nickel!!! I laugh assuming he's joking, but he isn't! I'm fumbling through my pockets looking for change. I have none, only my bankcard. I tell him "I'm not using my gawddamned debit card for 5 cents!!" At this point some girl hands me a dime and says "these a**holes obviously need the money" I throw the dime at him and tell him I'll never shop at L&M again...and I never would've if L&M hadn't bought out Musicstop :-( I consider the guys at Musicstop to be friends, so I've gone back on my word "to never shop there again."

Again, I realize it was one particular douce-bag, and not the chain per se, but the evening it happened I was jamming with some friends and someone who, at the time, played guitar for a *very* famous singer and told him the story, and he says "yeah, that's typical. I buy LOTS of gear, but I'll never shop at L&M" so obviously it wasn't just me with a beef.
fish
Bronze Member

Location: somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Postby warrbeat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:45 pm

He was very polite and pleasant to deal with.

If you are feeling like you are not being properly taken care of send something directly to Mr. Long. I'm pretty sure some adjustments would be made.... quickly.

I remember when Hugga was the store of choice and I decided that I would never deal with Bill again let alone walk into any place that had even the smell of Ray or Peter... now I look forward to talking to Bill... Did Bill change? Let me ponder on that....
LOL
Last edited by warrbeat on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What do you mean "White men can't groove"?
warrbeat

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop