The Soundtrack of Your Life

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Soundtrack of Your Life

Postby Daniel Druff » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 pm

I originally posted this topic on "another sj forum", and thought that it might be good to post here. It really didn't get as much as a response as I had thought it would. It just turned into people spewing a bunch of songs they liked with no real discussion about why, etc. Anyways, here it is......

Music can spark so many memories for me. It brings me back to the time when I was really into that particular song/album. So, if you were to create a soundtrack for your life, what would be on it and why?

This is mine, so far. We'll call it part 1..... Part 2 coming up in another 30 years.

1. Kentucky Woman - Neil Diamond. I remember listening to Neil Diamond 8 tracks all the time on my parents high fi. Those were deadly. Not just a stereo, but a piece of furniture too. HA!

2. Patio Lanterns - Kim Mitchell. Great memories of sitting in my buddies room cranking this 45. We might have been 7-8 at the time.

3. I'm Still Standing - Elton John. I remember listening to the 45 of this tune. I also remember seeing him on TV shortly after that and thinking he was a bit odd. HA!

4. Money for Nothing - Dire Straits. This is the first guitar song I remember really hitting me hard. The opening lick really sparked a love of the guitar with me. I listened to that part over and over on my walkman (that weighed in at about 4 pounds).

5. What it Takes - Aerosmith. Pump was the first tape I bought with my own money. Great album. I loved this band back then. They're too K100 for me now.

6. Sweet Child o' Mine - G'n'R. This tune reminds me of Junior High. If there was one album that would sum up Junior High for me, it's this one. Still love this album.

7. Thunderstruck - ACDC. This tune reminds me of High School. It was huge at the time.

8. A Day in the Life - Beatles. After High School I started really getting into music that was not really popular with everyone I was hanging around with (ie. not on the radio). No one I hung around with was listening to stuff like the Beatles. They thought it was old people music. I think that most people relate to them with their early work, which is good, but nothing like their drug-induced later work.

9. Silver - Moist. I remember seeing Moist in the gym at UNBSJ. Brings me back to my university days

10. Time - Pink Floyd. When my wife and I first started dating this song (DSOTM album) was always in my CD Player. Totally brings me back to the honeymoon days of our relationship. :-)

11. Feels like Home - Chantal Kreviazuk. My wife and I danced to this song at our wedding.

12. A Case of You - Joni Mitchell. We brought music in for the births of both of our children. This song was on there, and always reminds me of that. Great tune.

13. Via Chicago - Wilco. Doesn't really remind me of anything particular, but is a great tune, by a great band.

14. The End - The Doors. One of my all time favorite bands. Great album closer.
Daniel Druff

Postby oddioguy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Black Sabbaths' Vol. IV never fails to bring me back to a sunny summer day as a teenager with little to do except enjoy....
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:59 pm

Judas Rising - What a rush to hear that opening riff after 12 years of no Judas Priest. (No, the Ripper years don't count...)
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Greg H. » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:06 am

Lets do it like this for me:

AC/DC > BTO/CCR > The Who/ Boston > Eric Clapton (who inspired me to buy my Strat) >RHCP > Ozzy/ Black Sabbath > Rush (which continued hardcore for well over a year. Geddy Lee BASSicaly taught me bass) > Dream Theater/ Porcupine Tree/ Pink Floyd (progressive metal/rock phase) > Our Lady Peace/ Nirvana/Weezer > Muse/ Radiohead

Of course i still listen to the last five regularly ;-)
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:06 am

Way to resurrect this thread...

I'll have to think about this one and get back to it.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby clinton » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:55 am

Fun!

I'm too tired to really get into it but some highlights include:

Fire & Rain - James Taylor: The start of my interest in singer-songwriters and my introduction to the whole notion that you can write your own songs and perform them without a big band. To this day I remain a really big JT fan and his guitar playing is easily my biggest influence.

My Sweet Carolina - Ryan Adams: This song (and album) really opened a lot of doors for me in regards to how to make albums. The sound and the purity of the recording changed everything thereafter for me. Definately an island pick for me.

Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House: This song raised the bar for what I would accept as good music. Neil Finn is on par with Lennon/McCartney and ha remained a constant since I first heard him.

Tumblin' Dice -The Roling Stones: Growing up with one brother heavily into funk and the other into nothing but AC/DC, the Stones offered a real revelation for me and Tumblin' Dice was the song that really drove it home. In their prime the Stones were seriously badass.

Baby Love - Diana Ross & The Supremes: Most likely the first song I ever heard that really struck me emotionally. I remember being woken up by my mother cranking this on summer mornings and singing her heart out to it.

The Tears Of A Clown: Smokey Robinson & The Miracles: same as above really.

'TiI Am Myself Again - Blue Rodeo: This was the band that really gave me a sense of Canadian music and led to finding independant artists and ultimately a sense of community and that DIY attitude. Though I don't really listen to the band anymore, I do feel a loyalty to them for that reason (also applicable in this spot for these reasons could have been Teenland by The Northern Pikes)

k, back to work for me, might add more later, that was fun....
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm beginning to think this could be a running thread for me at least. I run into tunes constantly that take me back.

Today's volume:

U2 - "Under A Blood Red Sky"
Headpins - "Head Over Heels"

My friend Rob and I played these endlessly during the summer of '86 while walking all over the eastern half of the city, as we often did. I had the obligatory large boom box with a strap, and most certainly prematurely aged my right shoulder carrying the thing all over town.

Queen - "Another One Bites The Dust"... and really anything off "The Game"

I used to be a rink rat at both Stu Hurley and Simonds Centennial, taking in at least a couple of skating periods a week during the season. I remember this tune in particular getting tons of play in those arenas at that time. I also remember at Stu Hurley in particular someone playing a ton of Stones albums. Probably someone working there who was a big fan. Imagine.... Someone playing Rolling Stones tunes in the rink behind Simonds High. ;-)

Seals & Crofts - "Diamond Girl" and "Summer Breeze"

When I was young I remember my Mom always having the radio on to then CHR station CFBC which was great because in that format they played all kinds of music from all different styles. You'd here everything from Elvis, to Kenny Rogers, to Dire Straits, to Van Halen all on the same station. Whenever I hear these Seals & Crofts tunes I can imagine hearing them come from the radio in my parent's kitchen.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:15 am

Today's entry:

Peter Gabriel - "Security"

Late grade 7 for me IIRC. Even then I was aware of the amazing synergy of the electronic and acoustic instrumentation on this album. This was a headphone masterpiece and was a great example of why I wanted to learn how they got sounds like that. Gabriel was allowing the technology to drive his original inspiration into new territory, and it was amazing to be thirsting for new music at the time this was released.

The blending of the acoustic drums and the Linn and Fairlight percussion is still a bit of most masterful recording on this record.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:25 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Today's entry:

Peter Gabriel - "Security"

Late grade 7 for me IIRC. Even then I was aware of the amazing synergy of the electronic and acoustic instrumentation on this album. This was a headphone masterpiece and was a great example of why I wanted to learn how they got sounds like that. Gabriel was allowing the technology to drive his original inspiration into new territory, and it was amazing to be thirsting for new music at the time this was released.

The blending of the acoustic drums and the Linn and Fairlight percussion is still a bit of most masterful recording on this record.

This makes you credible in mine eye.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:04 am

Max Webster - "Let Go The Line" - I was 10 when this album came out. I remember for some reason being in the back seat of my parent's '77 Dodge Aspen coming back from my cousin's house in Nerepis, where I often spent weekends in the summer, and catching this tune on the radio while driving late at night through Westfield.

Funny how songs will take you to a seemingly unimportant event in your life, but it somehow must have meaning for it to trigger that specific thing.

I've been on a bit of a "Max" kick lately. Most of that stuff is a chunk of "soundtrack of my youth".

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:52 am

Just a few albums and songs here and there for key moments, as I remember them, but:

Midnight Oil's "Earth and Sun and Moon" - listened to this a lot as the Bluejays were winning their second pennant. Always hated sports, but loved seeing a Canadian team winning the big one. This album made the games a lot less boring, and "My Country" even got me all patriotic-feeling.

Moist's "Silver" album: loved rocking out to this one, although one of my favourites was the bass-leading, melancholy "Low, Low, Low."

Spirit of the West's "Faithlift": I can remember listening to this album during my last surge of work for high school requirements, in 1997; it took on a special significance as I was pulling my final all-nighter (for high-school, at least), writing English essay after English essay, into the dawn. "Guildhall Witness," in particular, is what I remember standing out that night.

Weezer's first album: I was in junior high when it came out, and listening to "My Name is Jonas" for the first time just seemed momentous, like I can remember most of the details of how I was sitting, the light in the room at the time, etc.

Nine Inch Nail's "A Warm Place" - instrumental - always liked this song, but it just really hit home for me one morning as I was in Calgary (yr 2000), listening to some tunes to get me going for another 10-hour day of work breaking my back to make money to come home to NB with, feeling really homesick.

Freezepop's "Plastic Stars" - started getting into synthpop around 2001, and this was a representative track from that era.

The Smiths' "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" - really, almost anything off of "The Queen is Dead" - found this in 1998 or 1999, and even though I was pretty much the lonely target audience for their music, it didn't depress me to listen to it; it felt validating. Finally, someone who understood; plus, everything about the album (guitar sounds...and that voice!!) were just amazing, something wonderful to discover.

So, when we do up 'songs of your life' lists like this, you can see why a lot of people get sensitive over their favourite tunes, right? People tend to absorb some songs or artists as part of their identity, and confuse an attack on the band with an attack on part of who they are.

Anyway, that's enough outta me for now! Good thread!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Return to The Coffee Shop