Cell phone

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Cell phone

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 pm

I am considering becoming a person with a cell phone. Discuss.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 27, 2010 2:59 pm

I will text you everyday! Does that make you more or less likely to get one?

I'm the kind of person that wants to be connected, but that's not to say that it's for everyone. Are you thinking of going full out with a smart phone or just a basic cell?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:I will text you everyday!

I think you have your answer.... don't do it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 27, 2010 3:24 pm

*texts Andrew*

Matt wrote:Bite me.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Thu May 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:I will text you everyday! Does that make you more or less likely to get one?

I'm the kind of person that wants to be connected, but that's not to say that it's for everyone. Are you thinking of going full out with a smart phone or just a basic cell?

Basic.
I like being disconnected, but those who care for don't like not being able to reach me.
And my number will be top-secret.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu May 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Be honest with yourself: will you ever have the cellphone turned on when you aren't calling someone on it? Because if it's off all the time, it defeats the purpose of having people being able to reach you.

I have one because they're good to have in an emergency, but, most of the time, it's off.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Sounds like you need a pay as you go plan. Usually you can get into one for $50ish bucks for the phone, and then it's around $10/month. If you start using more minutes you can just fold it into a contract.

They certainly are great to have in an emergency. Saved my butt last weekend when I hit that moose. Probably cut 1/2hr off EMS response time. Nobody stops anymore. :cry:
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 27, 2010 4:16 pm

macrae11 wrote:Sounds like you need a pay as you go plan. Usually you can get into one for $50ish bucks for the phone, and then it's around $10/month. If you start using more minutes you can just fold it into a contract.

Second that motion.

macrae11 wrote:They certainly are great to have in an emergency. Saved my butt last weekend when I hit that moose. Probably cut 1/2hr off EMS response time. Nobody stops anymore. :cry:

Don't you ever scare me like that again... I wasn't sure if I really liked you or not until I heard from you about that. It scared me. You're like family now, so don't die.

Also I'm keeping score. So far it's: Andrew 1, Moose 0.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Yeah I'm trying to keep that shutout going.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 27, 2010 4:31 pm

macrae11 wrote:Yeah I'm trying to keep that shutout going.

Buy one of these and install a cow catcher:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Thu May 27, 2010 4:58 pm

I'm a recent convert and I'm digging it. I will be upgrading to a Blackberry very soon. I draw the line at Blue Tooth though. If you walk around with a Blue Tooth on your head, you look like an asshole...no exceptions.
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby josh porter » Thu May 27, 2010 5:22 pm

I draw the line at Blue Tooth though. If you walk around with a Blue Tooth on your head, you look like an asshole...no exceptions.

Well Clinton if you dont want to use a bluetooth headset, how about a nice Wristband Communicator?

josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 27, 2010 5:23 pm

clinton wrote:I'm a recent convert and I'm digging it. I will be upgrading to a Blackberry very soon. I draw the line at Blue Tooth though. If you walk around with a Blue Tooth on your head, you look like an asshole...no exceptions.

Unless you're in a car blue tooth headsets are gay, and not in the cool homosexual way either...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu May 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Scott knows what I think already.

Although he has a certain opinion of it, he will love texting. Most certainly he should consider something with a QWERTY keyboard.

He is afraid of the same thing I was when I got my first cell years ago... being "on the leash". I've never looked back, and remember, you can always just turn the thing off.

I never consider the fact that we have all this tech instant communication crap a reason for folks to consider it their right to contact me at anytime and demand an immediate response. I always say to myself... What would they have done 20 years ago in that situation?

I know what it's like to have a full plate of work, and a bunch of people demanding personal attention over and above all that. Sending me a dozen e-mails and 10 more voice mails isn't going to get my response any quicker.

I understand when people are slow getting back to me.... They're busy or have another reason but it's their right to manage their own time.

I know I pass up work because of my attitude on this, but it is the way I feel.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Sun May 30, 2010 8:23 pm

I now have an operational, analog cell phone. I agree with Clinton, but I take it a step further-
everytime I see people walking around with a cell to their ear or texting ('specially texting), it confirms my opinion
that we humans are pathetic creatures. Three weeks ago a woman almost walked into me on the harbour passage
because her stupid face was looking down at her phone. I wanted to swear at her, but I didn't.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon May 31, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm a text-walker. I feel shame. :-(

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:08 am

I, too, am looking into finally catching up with the 21st century (according to tv commercials) and getting a cell phone.

I have been advised that for my situation and phone habits, I should look at getting a pre-paid or pay-as-you-go type deal.

My question is which company to go with. A few of my friends have had annoying experiences with Bell-Alliant. And I have heard that Virgin is actually a part of Rogers network. Any suggestions or advice.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby josh porter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 am

Well Crimson, Vrigin is actually a part of the Bell-Aliant Tower network and therefore suffers most of the same downtime issues that go with cell tower maint. Rogers has their own set of towers. I have had oppurtunity over the years to be able to sell Rogers, Bell, and Virgin Mobile phones and the company I would pick if I the choice would probably be Bell. Rogers use to have the advantage of sim cards but Bell has that option now as well and Bell also has a faster network speed for those of us who live in the data phone side of the pond as it were. In terms of Prepaid, I find Bell to have a much better layout in terms of features and options available to you as the customer. In terms of Virgin phones and plans, they are around the same as Bell but since we have started selling Bell and Virgin, we have had nothing but problems with Virgin customer support and tech support.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:23 am

josh porter wrote:In terms of Virgin phones and plans, they are around the same as Bell but since we have started selling Bell and Virgin, we have had nothing but problems with Virgin customer support and tech support.

So you would say "Virgin" is a misnomer, in that they screw people around?

(Sorry, I just really liked that joke when I heard it years ago and jumped at the chance to use it)
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby josh porter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:25 am

Oh I would say that Virgin screws people around BIG time.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Greg H. » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:48 am

Christian LeBlanc wrote:So you would say "Virgin" is a misnomer, in that they screw people around?

Hahahaha that made me lol while rofling and lmao.
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:13 am

Nice to know. My finacee switched from Bell to Virgin because of screw-ups each month on her bills. That's why I figured Virgin was different. I'll have to let her know.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby josh porter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:25 am

While all cell phone companies have their independent problems, I have found Virgin to be the worst, I have rogers right now. I'm stuck in their 3 year deal. I love my phone dont get me wrong. But my bill has never been the same amount for 2 months or more. I have found through calling in to our dealer line that Bell is the fastest at resolving issues and handing out credits to their customers to keep them happy.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Return to The Coffee Shop