50%
Just enuf
No votes
Too Few
50%

Total votes : 2

Profesional Education Engineering

Postby Roderick » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:51 pm

Looking for info about best College Universitie audio engineering programes intrenationaly (english schools please).

Im looking into diffrent schools, theres so many of them that offer totaly diffren course ciriculums.

Can you Help. :?:

Thanks 8-)
Roderick

Postby macrae11 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:40 pm

Hey Roderick,
What is it exactly you want to do in audio? Depending on your goals, your choice of schools can vary widely. Or perhaps a formal education might not even be the most suitable option.
That being said, i can speak from personal experience that with any respectable audio school, it's less about the type of curriculum and gear they have and more about the teachers and how much you want to get out of the course.
There are however, some schools that stand out above the rest.

Probably the most renowned school around is Full Sail
http://www.fullsail.com/ It's down in the states and quite pricey. I believe you have the option for 1 or two year programs. I have only met 2 students from Full Sail. The first one i met, really didn't know much about audio. However they had gone there quite a few years ago and technology has changed quite a bit. The other person seems to be a bang up person with a competent and well rounded knowledge of audio.

As for something a little more local, the Centre for Arts and Technology in Fredericton is another option. http://www.digitalartschool.com/
They have two other campuses in Halifax and Kelowna BC, but i know very little about the other campuses. As for the one in Fredericton they have a brand new audio facility which is small but nice. I know several of the teachers in Fredericton and as far as faculty go, I don't think you could find better staff at any school. You also have the option for 1 or 2 years, and it's about half the price of Full Sail.

Finally the school i went to is OIART in London Ontario.
http://www.oiart.org/ OIART stands for the Ontario Institute of Audio Recording Technology.
Perhaps i'm biased but i would definatly recommed OIART to anyone who would like to get a well rounded audio education. The teachers are amazing, the gear is top notch, and the school is totally devoted to audio. There are no other courses, like digital animation or graphic design offered. It's an intensive 1 year course, at approx. the same cost as the CFAAT.

There are lots of other schools out there who offer this type of course, but i stuck to the ones i happen to at least know a little bit about. There are some that are better than others. The thing that i found helped me out was talking to some grads about they're experiences at the school.

One last piece of advice: Graduating from audio school is only the begining of your education. Too many people graduate thinking they've got it all down until they get a rude awakening in the real world. I learn something new every single day at work, and with every project i work on. If you don't you're probably doing something wrong.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:43 pm

Oh and in response to your poll, There is always room for more quality people doing all types of jobs in the music industry. The only trick is that you may have to travel around some to find a spot to fit in.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:20 pm

What field would you be most interested in? Where would you like to end up working? This all will influence your choices of school and education.

macrae11 wrote:That being said, i can speak from personal experience that with any respectable audio school, it's less about the type of curriculum and gear they have and more about the teachers and how much you want to get out of the course.
Absolutely! I will one up that by saying courses and schools in major centers of the business will offer instructors of higher caliber than those based in.... say... Fredericton.

macrae11 wrote:One last piece of advice: Graduating from audio school is only the begining of your education. Too many people graduate thinking they've got it all down until they get a rude awakening in the real world. I learn something new every single day at work, and with every project i work on. If you don't you're probably doing something wrong.
I have been working in this business for many years. I teach courses. I learn things on every job. I learn from students. You never stop learning.

OIART is one of the oldest and most respected programs in the country. The school I attended is the Trebas Institute, Toronto campus. The school I would most suggest in Canada would be the Harris Institute in Toronto.

Defining what you want to do career wise will help you avoid wasting a lot of money and time. If you're not sure what you want to do, getting some experience before attending school can help you narrow down your choices, or may make you change your opinion altogether
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Profesional Education Engineering

Postby sammyp » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:03 am

Roderick wrote:Looking for info about best College Universitie audio engineering programes intrenationaly (english schools please).

Im looking into diffrent schools, theres so many of them that offer totaly diffren course ciriculums.

Can you Help. :?:

Thanks 8-)

McGill accepts 6 students/year to it's Masters of Sound Recording program. You've got to have an undergrad as well as a few definate pre rec courses. That's as heavy as you can get in Canada IMO. Plus McGill has recently ungraded it's music facilty by X million dollars.
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Return to The Coffee Shop