Music I Have Been Digging

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Music I Have Been Digging

Postby clinton » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:51 pm

So lately I've been scouring the net and other places for some new music and have stumbled on some amazing stuff. Figured I would share some of my minds in hopes you'll do the same. Here goes:

Sun Kil Moon: Admiral Fell Promises - I've been a fan of this band for quite some time now and had high hopes for the new record. I was not dissapointed. Interestingly, this record is just vocal and a nylon string guitar but the songs are so strong that it does not limit the record. Mark Kozelak is a great songwriter and an amazing guitarist.

Phospherescent: Here's To Taking It Easy - A myspace find that I just love. I stumbled on this record just after midnight one night and it was well after three before I finally stopped listening. Great record.

Laura Marling: I Speak Because I Can - What a great folk record. I don't know much about this girl but I found it hard to believe she is barely in her 20's. Worth checking out for sure. The production on this is killer too!

The National: High Violet - I had checked out this band's previous release and wasn't really that into it. I don't know what changed this time, probably me, but this record is terrific. I will be spending a lot of time with this one.

Tift Merritt: See You On the Moon - Kind of a different record for her, more hip than I expected. it's great though. She takes on more of a Liz Fair attitude with this one and it works perfectly.

Sarah Harmer: Oh Little Fire - I expected this to be a continuation of the more roots oriented direction she has taken on her last recordings but this is classic pop-rock Sarah. It's a grower too and I love albums like that.

That's it for now, you go...
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:51 pm

Just today I discovered Pomplamoose. They're a super funky duo who mix electronic type arrangements with thick grooves and quirky pop melodies. I actually discovered them on another music site, and initially heard their covers of popular tunes, which I think are vastly superior to the originals. Just getting into their original stuff now. I don't think they have an album per se, but just a collection of songs. I'm hoping for some type of physical medium, or at least lossless download, as I hate mp3's, and I refuse to pay for them. http://www.myspace.com/pomplamoosemusic

Matt Grondin: The Ra Source is his debut album. All instrumental, the hooks flowith, and the grooves are simply filthy. Funk, New Orleans Jazz, and Blues all mish-mashed into one delightful package. Need to order this one. I've been listening off his website for the last couple of months. http://www.myspace.com/mattgrondinmusic

Two that I've actually purchased, Brandi Carlile, and Missy Higgins. (Thanks Matt!) Both great singer songwriters, Brandi from the states with a definite country flair, and Missy from down under with more of a pop flavour. Both have great melodies and lyrics, with absolutely stellar musicians.

http://www.missyhiggins.com/
http://www.brandicarlile.com/

Will report more as I find them.
Last edited by macrae11 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby roachie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:15 pm

I just discovered Patty Griffin - kinda rock chick/country singer/folkie/alternative... Not bad.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby clinton » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:36 pm

roachie wrote:I just discovered Patty Griffin - kinda rock chick/country singer/folkie/alternative... Not bad.

I adore this woman with every bit of my being. What album are you listening to?
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Re: Music I Have Been Digging

Postby Greg H. » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:55 am

clinton wrote:Laura Marling: I Speak Because I Can

My cousin met Laura Marling and her band in New York. Her drummer/accordionist is awesome. I love the song "My Manic and I", from her Alas I Cannot Swim album. Check it out :)
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby clinton » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:03 pm

yeah I checked out her first one and though it's good, it doesn't touch the new one. She obviously is a talented girl but I think her age showed on the first one.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby RoadDog » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:44 pm

two words ... SECRET WORLD
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby roachie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:15 am

clinton wrote:
roachie wrote:I just discovered Patty Griffin - kinda rock chick/country singer/folkie/alternative... Not bad.

I adore this woman with every bit of my being. What album are you listening to?

"Flaming Red" is the one I have... I heard of her from the show "Sons of Anarchy"... They played the song "Mary" and I had to google the lyrics to see who did that song... quite a beautiful tune... gonna have to get some more of her stuff.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby clinton » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:07 pm

it's a good record for sure man. Check out Children Running Through sometimes. Amazing.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby roachie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:07 pm

I'll be getting to more of her stuff but I just "bought" the Loudon Wainright discography... about 20 or so albums... My Ipod has a lot of work to do...
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby clinton » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 pm

roachie wrote:I'll be getting to more of her stuff but I just "bought" the Loudon Wainright discography... about 20 or so albums... My Ipod has a lot of work to do...

DOODZ! We are so sympatico. I love Loudon. One of the most overlooked songwriters around for sure. The guy is a genuis. One hell of a singer too.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 pm

http://www.myspace.com/meaghansmithmusic

She's been on my rotation as of late.

http://www.myspace.com/rockyvotolato

So has this guy.

That's all I've got, I can only absorb so many artists at one time. Eventually I'll get on with some of Clinton's picks here.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Forgot about Edie Carey too. Was introduced to when she did a benefit concert for a cousin of mine through marriage. Very cool tunes, and apparently a super nice lady.

http://www.ediecarey.com/

I also added links to my previous post. I think Dylan would really dig Matt Grondin. Well anybody who enjoys killer grooves would, but he plays a strat so....
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:04 pm

macrae11 wrote:but he plays a strat so....

In the famous words of Clinton:

Ewwww.

:-P
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Well it suits what he's playing. There is a place for strats in this world, and possibly even the people who play them.

Going back to our previous thread on auto-panning though, there's a great EP sound with hard auto-panning in the intro to Matt Grondins tune Sun God. Great in headphones. Killer all room drum tone on that intro too.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:59 pm

I'll have to check it out........but only because he plays a strat
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Make sure you use the ReverbNation plugin, not the Myspace player. Sounds way better.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Greg H. » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Just thought I would continue the topic of different things I've been digging:

Blue October - Foiled: I got this album from my grandmother as a gift while I was in the hospital, but didn't really listen to in closely until recently, while driving. It has some great tracks with a lot of violin and his interesting voice always keeps me listening

Fool's Garden - Go And Ask Peggy For The Principle Thing: This is a German band that someone introduced to me (though they sing in English). It makes me think that they're what The Beatles would have sounded like as a band from the 90's.

Alexisonfire - Old Crows/ Young Cardinals: I just enjoy listening to this when I'm feeling like something a bit faster. Great choruses.

Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything To Nothing: This album is just great. Sony Music sent a bunch to me (Thanks to Mike Turner and his wife) and this was by far my favorite. I listened front to back without getting bored in the slightest.

I've also been listening to some occasional Ben Folds. I enjoy his piano playing, and he has the same birthday as me.
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:39 am

Greg H. wrote:Blue October - Foiled: I got this album from my grandmother as a gift while I was in the hospital, but didn't really listen to in closely until recently, while driving. It has some great tracks with a lot of violin and his interesting voice always keeps me listening

Man, I love this band so hard. Not to sound like an anti-top-40 snob, but I really have no idea how a band with such imaginative, lush melodies and mature lyrical content made it into the mainstream. I bet I could listen to "Into the Ocean" for a day straight.

I downloaded their previous album, "History For Sale," with iCoke points and really enjoyed most of it, in a similar manner. Their latest release, "Approaching Normal" - didn't dig it quite so much, but ymmv.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby clinton » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 pm

these days I listen only to Bruce Cockburn.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 pm

I'm hoping to see Bruce when he's in the area in October.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby giggleycraft » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:37 pm

macrae11 wrote:I'm hoping to see Bruce when he's in the area in October.

I didn't hear he was coming here, that's great!
giggleycraft

Postby clinton » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:37 pm

macrae11 wrote:I'm hoping to see Bruce when he's in the area in October.

WHAT!?!!!!!!!!! Where, when, WTF? THis is the best thing ever!!!!
clinton
Gold Member

Postby clinton » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:47 pm

just checked the Imperial Theatre web-site. October 16th is my new best day ever. Thanks for the tip man, I am so excited to finally see Bruce!
clinton
Gold Member

Postby giggleycraft » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:09 pm

clinton wrote:just checked the Imperial Theatre web-site. October 16th is my new best day ever. Thanks for the tip man, I am so excited to finally see Bruce!

I'll be there with my mom :)
giggleycraft

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop