Guilty Pleasures?

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Guilty Pleasures?

Postby Greg H. » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Just wondering, does anyone else have any guilty pleasures when it comes to music? You know, the songs and artists you just kind of ice over on your iPod when someone else is in the car with you?

For example... I enjoy a lot of 90's pop like the Backstreet Boys when the mood strikes. Along with Creed (I know I KNOW) and Michael Jackson (I'm really not too ashamed to admit I like most of his #1's, though I do get a lot of crap for it)

Once I was even caught listening to Boys In The Bright White Sports Car, but I just kind of sang it really loudly and obnoxiously so I escaped that one.
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Mel C (yes, Sporty Spice) (her first album, anyway)

Fine Young Cannibals (my first introduction to how delicious self-pitying lyrics could be)

Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell 2"

Lady Gaga

Blink 182's self-titled album (I got it because Robert Smith guest-starred on a track, but ended up liking most of it.)

Blue October was a guilty pleasure at first because they were played on the radio all the time, and "Hate Me" got on my nerves the first hundred times I heard it. Since then, they've become one of my favourite bands, legitimately.

Robin Gibb. The man's an evil, evil, musical genius.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby dylanger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:39 pm

I really can't think of any. I'm more proud of stuff like that. I think Lady Gaga is a flipping genius when it comes to writing. I always try and look past the commercial side of an artist. A lot of people hate Lady Gaga cause so many people like her and its popular, but she is a wonderful talent. Same with Miley Cyrus, she's not a bad vocalist at all. I also really enough the song Love Bug by the Jonas Brothers, very catchy tune.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Cryptowen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Don't think I have any. Well, Nine Inch Nails can be pretty iffy in the lyrics department, but the music is good enough to more than make up for it. And Ladytron feel like they could at any moment become one of those ironic 80s-revival Indie Hipster bands, but so far I don't think they have.
Cryptowen

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:36 am

Obscure '60s psychedelic bands.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby clinton » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:23 am

I reall like Destiny's Child (though I feel no guilt for this). I really like The Wallflowers and a lot of what The Counting Crows have done (lose Mr. Jones and that stupid "yeah!" at the end of Rain King and I'd call August and Everything After one of the strongest debuts of the 90's). I really like Umbrella by Rhianna and I don't care who knows, I think Party In The USA is a great track! Well there you go...
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:44 am

Lady Gaga.

Ke$ha.

Katy Perry.

...and Clinton Charleston.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:45 pm

I feel no guilt, but this probably fits in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSCQT7b-OFI

A little bit of pop perfection. I'm loving this one right now and not just for the reason Matt is... ;-)

The fact that this is 100x better live is a sign that recorded music is at an all time low.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I'm loving this one right now and not just for the reason Matt is... ;-)

I'm loving her for both reasons, but touché! :-P

As a matter of fact I liked the music of these artists before actually seeing how slutty they could look. Except for Clinton, I already knew how slutty he could look before I heard his music...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Again, I submit that I like her for both reasons. She looks very passionate about her guitar...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm a slut
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:31 pm

I heard this song a few times on 97.3 this weekend and now I can't get it out of my head. My favorite part now is the part that at first I thought should've been fixed. When she goes way down to (I think) the F, she starts in sharp and wiggles her way down to it. It's now become a thing I enjoy. Guilty pleasure.

The Only Exception - Paramore

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Really dig the drum sounds on that track.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:21 pm

macrae11 wrote:Really dig the drum sounds on that track.

You and me both. Oh and that bridge is pretty fantastic!
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:22 pm

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:18 am

I knew this song sounded familiar. I reminds me of Radiohead around the time of "The Bends". 3 Chords for everything in the song except the bridge. The a bit of a lift at the end. I like songs that can take 3 chords are get lots of mileage out of them. Structurally it's very much like "High and Dry" by Radiohead.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Coffee Shop