Cable Box

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Cable Box

Postby josh porter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Somtimes in life I find myself in need of things that are hard to find. On this occasion, I am looking for a place to buy, or someone to build for me, a box similar to a splitter box. I need the input for the box to be a male 4pin Speakon cable end and to have 6-7 ouputs being of the female 1/4" variety. If anyone can help point me to a place where I can obtain such a device or if anyone is adventurous enough to try and help me build such a box, I would be most grateful.

Thanks all
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:20 pm

I can build you that.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:I can build you that.
Yes, he can.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby josh porter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks Mal. We can chat more about full details in the next week if ur not busy and i will round up everything i think i will need.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby josh porter » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:21 pm

Obviously my english teacher didn't teach me read too well. I totally mis read those last two posts
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Alain can build you anything you want, just remember that his normal labour rates apply. Custom-built stuff isn't cheap, but what you are looking for isn't really typical either.

I'm curious though, what are you using this splitter for?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby josh porter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Drumwaiter Posted:
Alain can build you anything you want, just remember that his normal labour rates apply. Custom-built stuff isn't cheap, but what you are looking for isn't really typical either.

I consulted with Thom and he provided me with all the materials that would be needed and I dropped them off to Alain last night at the studio. I understand the normal labour rates which are more then reasonable considering if I did this project myself, it would turn into a flying pile of wire and crap as it flew out my window. :lol:

The Splitter will be used to take one channel from my amp which is speakon and feed 8 1/4" jacks which will feed 8 small 10watt speakers. They will all have the same signal going to them which is what I want.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:28 pm

josh porter wrote: I consulted with Thom and he provided me with all the materials that would be needed and I dropped them off to Alain last night at the studio.

Oh good, I didn't know. I didn't get to the studio until 8pm last night so I must've missed you.

josh porter wrote:The Splitter will be used to take one channel from my amp which is speakon and feed 8 1/4" jacks which will feed 8 small 10watt speakers. They will all have the same signal going to them which is what I want.

Very interesting project. You should make a thread about this project and include some pictures.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby josh porter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Ya I got there around 715 and Alain gave me the grand tour since I had never been there before. Pretty Swanky place you guys have there.

Drumwaiter wrote:
josh porter wrote:The Splitter will be used to take one channel from my amp which is speakon and feed 8 1/4" jacks which will feed 8 small 10watt speakers. They will all have the same signal going to them which is what I want.

Very interesting project. You should make a thread about this project and include some pictures.

Ya I will have to take pictures of it after its built and post them for you guys. I don't know why but I find myself working on projects that require things I have to build or get others to build for me. I should patent this latest creation :lol: [/quote]
Last edited by josh porter on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
josh porter wrote: I consulted with Thom and he provided me with all the materials that would be needed and I dropped them off to Alain last night at the studio.

Oh good, I didn't know. I didn't get to the studio until 8pm last night so I must've missed you.

Ya I got there around 715 and Alain gave me the grand tour since I had never been there before. Pretty Swanky place you guys have there.

Drumwaiter wrote:

Ya I will have to take pictures of it after its built and post them for you guys. I don't know why but I find myself working on projects that require things I have to build or get others to build for me. I should patent this latest creation :lol:

Drumwaiter wrote:Here, let me fix that for you... ;-)
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby josh porter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks. I can build computers and wire houses but I can't figure out these quote things. Damn Space-Age technology. >>>
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 pm

josh porter wrote:Thanks. I can build computers and wire houses but I can't figure out these quote things. Damn Space-Age technology. >>>

No worries. Anyways don't be a stranger, it's good to have you on here.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Email me for a copy of the invoice.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Just to advise you, if you were to connect all 8 of those speakers together at the same time, assuming each were rated at 8 Ohms nominal, the total load to your amplifier would be 1 Ohm.
Unless you are using one of these, your amp will quickly get cooked.

Just sayin, I'll make you anything you want but I cannot be held responsible for how you use it.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby josh porter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:26 pm

Al I have a Crown CE-1000 amp. This box will run from one channel and my main speaker will run from the other output channel. The manual claims it is safe with all impedance loads. It shows in the spec chart power outputs for 2, 4 and 8 ohms in stereo and 4 and 8 ohms in bridged mono

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/136705.pdf
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:37 pm

The Crown CE-1000 is rated at a minimum of 2 Ohms pre channel.
It is not adviseable to go below this.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby josh porter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:39 pm

Any way to put more of a load on that box to get it to 2ohm or greater? I would have thought 14 10watt 8 ohm speakers would press more then a 1ohm load.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:51 pm

Just follow this formula;

1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3................+1/Rn

Or in your case assuming all your individual load impedances are the same ie: 8 Ohms each, for every paired load the impedance is halved.
Following me?

8+8=4, 8+8=4, 8+8=4, 8+8=4
4+4=2, 4+4=2
2+2=1

Just a simple way to do it in your head.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby josh porter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:59 pm

So if i only have 7 loads then that changes the formula doesnt it?
8+8=4 8+8=4 8+8=4 8
4+4=2
2+4+8 is all im left with. I noticed those jacks are all wired in series. Not parallel. Thats means i need all 8 jacks connected to get signal flow. Is that correct or am I just looking at the pictures wrong? I learn things every day.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:41 pm

Using the formula I gave you that gives you a total impedance of 1.1429, which is still under 2 Ohms, your amplifier's stated stable minimum load impedance.
The mult box I built you is wired in paralell as you asked.
If you would like I could wire it in a series/paralell configuration to give you a total load of 4 Ohms, that is only under the assumption that you will ALWAYS be plugging in ALL 8 speakers. That wold cost you an extra 1/2 hour in shop labour.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby josh porter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 pm

Its cool the way it is. Thanks for all the help Al. And the teaching part too. I alwys enjoy learning new things. I will find a work around for my impedance issue. You can email the invoice to porterjo@saintjohn.nbcc.nb.ca

When am I abke to pick it up?
josh porter
Bronze Member

Return to The Coffee Shop