Lime is doing it's time.

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Postby clinton » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 am

Cryptowen wrote:My thinking is, even if illegal torrent were totally halted, the big record labels would continue to decline because of the increasing ability for smaller independent groups to compete on an international scale. Already we have a ton of Indie groups getting almost as much attention as major label artists (and this would include everything from bands like Animal Collective to that autotune remix of the Double Rainbow guy). To me it seems like a lot of these smaller labels are more open to the idea of free internet distribution (not just torrenting, but things like full album previews, releasing multitracks for remixing, uploading songs to social media sites like Youtube or Soundcloud, etc.). I think it's still going to be possible to make money as a musician (maybe not millions like some have in the past), but those who don't adapt to the reality of the internet are just going to fall behind.

well said and I agree 100%
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:24 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote: News flash... They already have their hands into everything, including your wallet.

You're right we've probably already lost that war.

Malcolm Boyce wrote:If you think in 2010 the majority of illegal downloads are being burned to CDs so revenue is proportionally being generated back to the artists, check again.

Haha... What's a CD?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 am

clinton wrote:
Cryptowen wrote:My thinking is, even if illegal torrent were totally halted, the big record labels would continue to decline because of the increasing ability for smaller independent groups to compete on an international scale. Already we have a ton of Indie groups getting almost as much attention as major label artists (and this would include everything from bands like Animal Collective to that autotune remix of the Double Rainbow guy). To me it seems like a lot of these smaller labels are more open to the idea of free internet distribution (not just torrenting, but things like full album previews, releasing multitracks for remixing, uploading songs to social media sites like Youtube or Soundcloud, etc.). I think it's still going to be possible to make money as a musician (maybe not millions like some have in the past), but those who don't adapt to the reality of the internet are just going to fall behind.

well said and I agree 100%

+10
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby giggleycraft » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:05 pm

This is an interesting debate. A lot of logical, honest responses rather than the usual knee jerk reaction you get from this topic elsewhere.

Though I do not agree with downloading full albums, I can understand the allure. I will often download a few tunes, and give a new artist a good listen before running out and buying an album, and I will download some of the obscure music not available for sale that I like.

Interesting points are brought up with the levy on CD-Rs. Most people I know use these for data, personal photos, backups of data etc. Very few people use them to burn music on, they usually just use an mp3 player for listening to music. As much as I hate to say it as a customer service rep for an ISP, but perhaps the levy should be placed on residential internet connections rather than on the CD-Rs.
giggleycraft

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:15 pm

giggleycraft wrote:As much as I hate to say it as a customer service rep for an ISP, but perhaps the levy should be placed on residential internet connections rather than on the CD-Rs.

Bingo. The only time in the past few years I've burned music onto a cd has been for my own material I was trying to sell. Lights should send me a frikkin' thank you letter for the $15.08 (52 * $0.29) I inadvertantly gave her (more, if you count the coasters that got made).
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Cryptowen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:26 pm

Cryptowen

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:09 am

macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:55 pm

Here's some interesting thoughts on the topic of file-sharing:

http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/the- ... music.html
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:14 pm

Nice article, and I agree pretty well 100%

One technical side note, I think a prominent reason not mentioned in the article as to why music is worthless is because of the loudness wars. When listening to a dynamic record, it impossible to enjoy it at all over ear buds, or while driving on the highway. With hypercompression, everything becomes very leveled out so that it's easily consumable in any atmosphere, and then as a side effect, it simply blends in with the background noise, until it becomes background noise itself.

Now I like listening to music in the car as much as anybody. I drive almost an hour a day, and it would be unbearable if I couldn't listen to music. Since it's mostly highway, and relatively sparsely trafficked, I can put most of my attention on the music. However when listening to a truly dynamic record, you have to sit down with a good set of monitors or headphones, and really pay attention to the music. When you start to pay attention to music, or any art really, you start to get emotionally involved. When people get emotionally involved, they start valuing things more, and will support it.

I think this is why video games are winning too. Video games by their nature, are fully immersive environments, where you can't just have it on in the background, so you have to take time out of your day and set it aside, specifically for that purpose. Music has lost this.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: Lime is doing it's time.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed May 04, 2011 1:57 pm

"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Lime is doing it's time.

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed May 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Gorton sounds like a tool. I hope they throw several books at him.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop