Fun Times at "The Music Store"

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Fun Times at "The Music Store"

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:08 pm

So, I'm in Halifax and I stop by the local Musicstore. For the purpose of this entertaining little bit of foolishness it doesn't matter about the names. This reminded me about the now legendary thread about Guitar Center on another well known international forum, so I thought I'd share here.

I'm literally just browsing about in the "live audio" area and I overhear someone looking to get a live condenser mic to replace his own "58". This person had apparently tried someones "condenser" mic and loved it. It was suggested by someone that he try a Beta87, so that's what he was looking for. There's one sitting on the shelf, but the salesperson talking to him says, That's a dynamic, and I don't think we have any of the condensers in. Customer says, I was talking to someone and they said you have 3 or 4 in stock. He says, I'll check... Nope none in.... But have you ever heard of Neumann? Best mics in the world...and proceeds to start showing him a KMS.

I know I shouldn't, but I couldn't stand it. I spoke up. Sorry I couldn't help overhearing you're looking for a Beta87 and I saw one over on the shelf. Salesman says, No, that's a dynamic... He's looking for a condenser. I say... Actually it's a condenser. Salesman says, A Beta87C? I say, No 87A, but the only difference is in the polar pattern. All Beta87 are condenser mics.

At that point, with what dude was selling this person, I gave my 2cents on the Beta87 by saying more or less... There's a reason why the Beta87 is one of the most popular live vocal mics of the last 20 years.

I didn't get into the fact that dude was trying to sell the guy a mic that is infinitely less suitable for most, but 3-4 times the price or any of that... Which I could have. I could tell the salesperson was pretty ticked at my interference, and as I left he muttered. Thanks, you can hang around and do my job for me if you want.

No thanks... I already have a gig.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Fun Times at "The Music Store"

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Matt is so afraid to post in this thread it's scary. :-P

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:30 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Matt is so afraid to post in this thread it's scary. :-P

No I'm not... :lol:

I'll bite. In their defence, it has been explained to me that they are there to serve the masses. No one ever said that the masses needed to be properly informed. This is no difference at Banjo Mart and the horror stories that you hear of there. It's because the business model is the same. Push as much product out the door by hook or by crook. For every one person that walks out disgruntled there are 10 to replace him/her.

That being said...

Had you not said anything to that customer then they might have sold him a mic that had a better profit margin, and you robbed them of that. Furthermore the customer will likely not trust that sales associate anymore, or the retail location in question for that matter. You have damaged a perfectly functional relationship with your "truths".
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:You have damaged a perfectly functional relationship with your "truths".
It certainly didn't seem to be functioning at the time.

BTW.... I never thought I'd lure you into another conversation about customer service on here. :-D

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:You have damaged a perfectly functional relationship with your "truths".
It certainly didn't seem to be functioning at the time.

That is subjective. Neither party was dissatisfied until you interrupted. After your interruption, both parties were no longer happy with the conversation that they were both pleased with only moments before. Someone might argue that the relationship was fine until you came in with your fancy "knowledge" and made a mess of the whole thing.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Coffee Shop