Dropbox

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Dropbox

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Some of you may be aware that we are in the process of building a new website. So, Sébastien and I had to decide what we wanted to do with the server situation. We've always had our own server because it was cheap, convenient and we didn't have to rely on anyone else. However with the new site we decided to get away from the server here, especially since we can't get fiberOP in our building. So we decided to pay for real server space that is more reliable and very affordable these days. But then we got wondering how we're going to deal with FTP transfers and getting files to/from clients. We wanted a new solution that was efficient, robust and reliable.

Andrew had recommended Dropbox to me a while back but I was still evaluating my options. In the end though you really can't beat it for this kind of thing. Essentially it was created for backup and sync purposes. For example if you have 3 computers and you wanted to have updated files in a particular folder on eaech of those computers, it would allow you to sync a particular folder across multiple machines. Sébastien got to thinking why not use it to share files with clients? Basically you can invite people to share a certain folder (in this case their own client folder that I have here at the studio) and then there's no more uploading and downloading to servers and such, it's all sync'd automatically. Anyways I thought this was neat and I was wondering who else here is taking advantage of this?

http://www.dropbox.com/
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: Dropbox

Postby macrae11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:25 pm

Well me obviously. It also works great as a one way delivery service using the public folders. Much more flexible than You Send It for example.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: Dropbox

Postby gamblor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Huge advocate of drop box!!! I find it useful on so many levels. Not only is it a great substitute for ftp transfers, but it's handy for a lot of personal use. All those little things I would use a usb drive for, I now use drop box.

Not to mention it syncs up easily with the iphone and the quickoffice app. I have my personal budget in a small spreadsheet and now I can view and update it with my iphone, and see the changes reflected instantly on my pc.
Made of 40 dollar bills
gamblor
Bronze Member

Return to The Coffee Shop