Noise Free Saint John

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Noise Free Saint John

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue May 17, 2011 10:16 pm

This is something that I've been following for years, and it's gaining momentum these days. As much as I agree that rules to avoid unnecessary and excessive motor vehicle and industrial noise are a given, there is a general lack of understanding how complex "measuring" sound is.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/ ... 406883&p=2

If they go about this in a hap hazard fashion, I'll be one of I'm sure several people who will volunteer their time to be experts for the defense against improper measurements. I'll be curious to see how it plays out.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Noise Free Saint John

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue May 17, 2011 11:27 pm

So how many decibels at x distance is acceptable?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed May 18, 2011 1:11 am

Mathieu Benoit wrote:So how many decibels at x distance is acceptable?
...and in what environment, on what scale? Can you also guarantee that there were no other sources of noise within the measurement range? "Noise" is additive as a measurable quantity.

Dealing with one of the most talked about offenders, "illegal" exhaust systems, with an inspection of the equipment, is a much more direct way of silencing them. These turkeys that talk as if it's their right to operate these racket makers in public places are kidding themselves.

If they go to a low db reading as a "new" bylaw, it will get stupid really fast. I'm a much bigger fan of the simpler complaint based system. I know that in many places in this city, with whatever "level" they decide is acceptable, I will be able to find ambient noise levels that exceed their limit. Will they tell the Irving Oil refinery to quiet down or receive a fine? I don't think so.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed May 18, 2011 1:13 am

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed May 18, 2011 1:25 am

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:26 pm

In the Edmonton article they mention 92dB A weighted at 50 cm at idle speeds. I think this kind of specific requirements is required, otherwise it would be impossible to enforce. At 50 cm, there shouldn't be a noise pollution issue from surrounding sources, but I would think the only way to actually charge someone with it would be at a red light.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Alain Benoit » Wed May 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote: Will they tell the Irving Oil refinery to quiet down or receive a fine? I don't think so.

Word!
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 am

There has already been at lest one successful challenge in Edmonton based on how they took the readings. So many atmospheric conditions can affect a noise reading, and without guarantees of control over that, it will be open to argument. This is one real reason why municipalities haven't jumped on this type of measurement based bylaw. The "science" isn't as clear cut as some would like to believe.

I say, if you want to target exhaust noise specifically, do it as part of the MVI process, and give warnings for malfunctioning, or ticket for modified equipment or offenders that have already received a warning. It's pretty clear that the overwhelming majority of those owning crazy loud exhausts, make them that way on purpose.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I say, if you want to target exhaust noise specifically, do it as part of the MVI process, and give warnings for malfunctioning, or ticket for modified equipment or offenders that have already received a warning. It's pretty clear that the overwhelming majority of those owning crazy loud exhausts, make them that way on purpose.

I think this would be a more reasonable approach.

You're right though, the ambiguity of the law makes it easy to fight and if the law was more specific it would require a scientician to do the reading not the popo.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Greg H. » Tue May 31, 2011 2:57 pm

Reminds me of this thread from a couple years back: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=865&hilit=feedback+nick
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Return to The Coffee Shop