SOPA/PIPA

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re: SOPA/PIPA

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:16 pm

macrae11 wrote:*Fun fact, I used to play basketball in high school with Danny Ledwell, keyboard player for IFS.

John Mullane sent me a cdr of his electronic demos yearrrrrs and years ago; I found him through when garageband was a music review site. Really nice guy, and I'm super happy for them!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:54 pm

"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:21 pm

405338_10150507005373800_723453799_9207328_1968916495_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Now filesonic steps up and does the right thing...

http://torrentfreak.com/filesonic-kills ... ts-120122/

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Now filesonic steps up and does the right thing...

http://torrentfreak.com/filesonic-kills ... ts-120122/

So if companies are already getting shut down and people are getting arrested, what exactly is SOPA going to do?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:39 pm

My understanding is that MegaUpload, and filesonic both have servers and employee's in the US. Current law makes it very difficult to enforce any laws with no connections to the US, particularly countries with non extradition treaties, for example China. Since they can't arrest many of the players behind the criminal sites, they attempt to block them from the US. Which in fact they don't actually block them, just removed their URL from the DNS so you have to know the actual IP address of the site you're looking to download from.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:00 pm

macrae11 wrote:My understanding is that MegaUpload, and filesonic both have servers and employee's in the US. Current law makes it very difficult to enforce any laws with no connections to the US, particularly countries with non extradition treaties, for example China. Since they can't arrest many of the players behind the criminal sites, they attempt to block them from the US. Which in fact they don't actually block them, just removed their URL from the DNS so you have to know the actual IP address of the site you're looking to download from.

Makes sense to me.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 pm

NO IT DON"T MAKE SENSE!!! THE GUMMITS TRYING TO TAKE AWAY MY FREEDOMS!!!!
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Jef » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 am

Maybe a little different scenario to the 'Megaupload Takedown' story...
https://plus.google.com/u/0/11131408935 ... QJxDRiwAWq
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm

That's certainly an interesting take, and I'd like to see some hard numbers on it. I don't really know what would differentiate it from services like CDBaby who also offer up to 90% artist revenue, other than the the paid for free downloads thing, which again I would like to see some hard numbers on.

All of this is rather an aside to the fact that MegaUpload was indeed involved in illegal activities.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:28 am

Jef wrote:Maybe a little different scenario to the 'Megaupload Takedown' story...
https://plus.google.com/u/0/11131408935 ... QJxDRiwAWq
Reading so many of the posts on that site made me more than a little sick. It's amazing how this little conspiracy theory is enough to overshadow the fact that we know this company has profited hugely from illegal activity. It also continues to be easy to justify people's activity by vilifying the "industry".

Amazing how this topic has polarized our society.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:07 am

Stealing is stealing. I'd respect someone a whole lot more if they just admitted it, instead of twisting around these excuses (I think I've mentioned it before here, but I once saw someone say that buying a cd at Walmart was hurting the artist).

I tried having a conversation about SOPA/PIPA with someone on facebook who was sharing yet another cartoon meme about it, but got nowhere fast when I asked what alternatives were being discussed to stop stealing: "Stealing is bad, but censorship is even worse!"
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:07 pm

+1

I'm not sure how you equate censorship>stealing, but it's a red herring anyways since these bills don't censor anything.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:17 pm

I didn't bother asking them to expand on it :P I was afraid I'd start hearing that anti-theft measurements were a form of censorship and/or fascism.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 pm

More stupidity: http://black-march.com/

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Man too many people are morons. I mean there are morons on both sides, but one side has to constantly shout from the rooftops what morons they are. Either way, these types of blanket boycotts never work. Whether it's gasoline, Walmart, or Hollywood, people are too lazy on a large scale to have any significant effect.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Oh yay, we get to go through this all over again: http://www.ccer.ca/canadian-copyright-r ... vengeance/
Please not the abundance of conjecture as well as the graphic of a cute girl, visibly surprised at how stifled and censored she is with the government gag over her mouth :|
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Ok so I did real the whole thing this time, seeing as how it's more relevant to us as Canadians. Well ok I skimmed over large sections that were extra super boring.

First off this isn't a new law, just an amendment to existing law. Since I didn't also read through the existing law I could be missing some information to bring things together, but I am relatively familiar with the Canadian copyright act, and most of the amendments are pretty self explanatory.

First off, from what I can tell, these people are idiots. 4 out of the 5 of their claims are exactly the opposite of what it says in the new law. Section 29 subsections 22-24 state the exact opposite what they're saying. I couldn't find anything on their educational claim, but that type of educational has always been considered fair use, and that is reiterated in this bill. Not goin to cut and paste because I'm on my iPhone, but I terested parties can look it up.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 pm

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:58 am

http://news.softpedia.com/news/BitTorre ... 2536.shtml

Until the legislators catch up with the technology, the pirates will always be one step ahead. The (.torrent) sites are already switching to a new format to circumvent the legislation. I doubt that file sharing will stop any time soon.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:37 pm

The legislators will never catch up with technology. It's not possible. Or if by some miracle they did, the pirates would have a new technology and be back out ahead within weeks. The issue is more one of education IMO. Some people are dropping out of the piracy biz, and the more that this can stay at the forefront of the public's minds, the better the chance for a new paradigm to emerge.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop