CAPE 10

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re: CAPE 10

Postby macrae11 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:23 pm

No major issues on the playing on my end. A few that are less than stellar but not a big deal. The keys player is awesome, and the drummer is very good. So that's what I'm going to build the groove around, and fit everything else in there as appropriate.

I would sign up to produce next time. Actually it's easier for me to find multiple short chunks of time to go over tracks and produce than one large chunk of time to mix. Especially since I'm still spending multiple small chunks of time as we go anyways. Our producer's fine, but he's certainly not a take the bull by the horns type, which our team really needed.

You're more than ready to play with the "Big Boys" Matt. For me I don't think that will happen since all of the biggest of the big boys are Producer/Mixers who are fairly tight knit. I'd try again next time, and my team is adequate, but it feels like a big step down from the chaps that I normally work with... ;-)
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Nick H. » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:07 pm

My team is awful.
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 am

Ha! Don't get too excited Nick, at least you're done.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Nick H. » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:04 pm

macrae11 wrote:Ha! Don't get too excited Nick, at least you're done.

True. I'm fairly confident the version we tracked will be exponentially better, but I can't say for sure; my team has yet to track much of anything.
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 am

The shit really hit the fan with my other team... The singer and I had come up with a new arrangement that everyone seemed to be digging. Now, the producer had vanished for over a month, and gave us no explanation or warning for that... and then comes back today with a few days left before the deadline and gives us shit for moving on without him.

I say my piece pretty candidly and then he basically tells me that I'm wrong and it doesn't matter because he's already made up my mind and we are going in a different direction. His direction is pretty awful as far as a few of us are concerned but I was the only one bringing it up tonight.

Then just 10 minutes ago the singer posted that he is leaving and he wants his name off the banner... I'm still waiting for others to weigh in but...it's gotten interesting.

popcorn
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:36 am

In that case I want my name off the banner as well!!

^^
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:37 am

Our mixer just left. This whole thing feels like a story from the twilight zone.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm

My sides are aching from laughing so much. This producer is fluffin' high. This entire thing has become a raging circus.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:11 pm

You'll have to post some snippets.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:24 pm

macrae11 wrote:You'll have to post some snippets.

It's tricky because the BS is so evenly spread between 3 threads. Do you still have access to my account info for that place? It would be a good time to use it. I gave it to Nick too since there's too much to try to explain. It's best if you see it for yourself.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:My sides are aching from laughing so much. This producer is fluffin' high. This entire thing has become a raging circus.

What does he mean by "fluffin''" ?
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:
Mathieu Benoit wrote:My sides are aching from laughing so much. This producer is fluffin' high. This entire thing has become a raging circus.

Word censor. :lol:

It's either that or the swear jar.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Oh, that's unfortunate, I could use a bit of fluffing.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
Alain Benoit wrote:

Word censor. :lol:

It's either that or the swear jar.
(lap
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Just finished mix two. Going to listen over the weekend and do any final tweaks. There's talk of a new outro and redone guitar tracks. Guitar tracks I'm all for, outro I'm not so keen on.

Is your double LP finished Matt? How's your product sounding Nick?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Nick H. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:19 pm

macrae11 wrote:Just finished mix two. Going to listen over the weekend and do any final tweaks. There's talk of a new outro and redone guitar tracks. Guitar tracks I'm all for, outro I'm not so keen on.

My project, and Matt can attest to this, sounds just awful. They've based the recording entirely around my scratch piano guide track, an interesting choice given the initial decision to not include piano in the song at all, and have proceeded wordlessly into the realm of piano ballad; which is all fine, except the singer appears determined to sing as though we've presented him with an 80s Van Halen single and is making sure to scream over any potentiality of ballad-like qualities. It sounds as though he's concerned someone will question his masculinity if he fails to invoke Sammy Hagar throughout the track. He also misread, or failed to sound-out, the lyrics. Conversely, the team's drummer does not appear to give much of a shit; he posited that editing his own wildly inconsistent performance would be unduly stepping on the toes of the mixer. It's also interesting that he tends to play a fill, or even hit a crash, and then take the proceeding measure off, allowing for some truly interesting whole note rests throughout. In his drum mixdown, he also included overdubbed cymbal swells which crescendo every four bars for the duration. And as far as tracking goes, that's all we have, as of the last time I checked in. I've decided to just not log onto that part of the forum anymore, I think I'm happier not knowing.

I've heard most of Matt's CAPE stuff, how is your team Andrew?
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Nick H. wrote:
macrae11 wrote:Just finished mix two. Going to listen over the weekend and do any final tweaks. There's talk of a new outro and redone guitar tracks. Guitar tracks I'm all for, outro I'm not so keen on.

My project, and Matt can attest to this, sounds just awful. They've based the recording entirely around my scratch piano guide track, an interesting choice given the initial decision to not include piano in the song at all, and have proceeded wordlessly into the realm of piano ballad; which is all fine, except the singer appears determined to sing as though we've presented him with an 80s Van Halen single and is making sure to scream over any potentiality of ballad-like qualities. It sounds as though he's concerned someone will question his masculinity if he fails to invoke Sammy Hagar throughout the track. He also misread, or failed to sound-out, the lyrics. Conversely, the team's drummer does not appear to give much of a shit; he posited that editing his own wildly inconsistent performance would be unduly stepping on the toes of the mixer. It's also interesting that he tends to play a fill, or even hit a crash, and then take the proceeding measure off, allowing for some truly interesting whole note rests throughout. In his drum mixdown, he also included overdubbed cymbal swells which crescendo every four bars for the duration. And as far as tracking goes, that's all we have, as of the last time I checked in. I've decided to just not log onto that part of the forum anymore, I think I'm happier not knowing.

I've heard most of Matt's CAPE stuff, how is your team Andrew?

Holy S#!tballs!
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 am

The metal team is done preproduction on the second song and I'll probably track my keeper drums for that soon. The mixer started the first song over since he was the time to, and he's doing a much better job now that he's taken a few days away. We could very likely have two songs ready by the reveal.

The other team is nearly done proproduction, and I could be tracking keeper drums within the next week. This team is fun in the sense that there's no pressure. These aren't ace players or anything but they a genuine and we're having fun. We should be ready by the reveal.

EDIT: The mixer on Witty Placard just blew my mind. Like holy crap!!!!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue May 22, 2012 11:15 am

Is it Tuesday yet? Let's get this show on the road...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Yeah I was hoping to listen on my lunch break today but I guess I won't get to really hear them until Thursday.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Scratch that, they're up!
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:35 pm

macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:37 pm

Just listening to Team Witty Placard right now. The vocals are mixed.....very appropriately.
What's going on with your drums? Sounds like a super bright short plate with a timed predelay or something. Sounds cool, I just can't quite place it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Samizdat's track is truly badass. I'll be real interested if Otek remixes it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed May 23, 2012 11:28 pm

macrae11 wrote: I'll be real interested if Otek remixes it.

if he does it will be insane. The tracks all sound much better than the mix would lead you to believe. I think the mixer did a good job all things considered but with 96+ tracks I think it needs a steadier hand.

The more I listen to your mix, the more I think this project was a really good thing for you. I love the mix and I'm not the only one over there that is impressed with your work on that.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop